C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 Power Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 PM
jhiggins119
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '82 Power Mirrors

Both power mirrors on my 1982 will not function. All other power accessories work including the windows, seat and door locks. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not finding any new switches available from vendors.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jhiggins119
Both power mirrors on my 1982 will not function. All other power accessories work including the windows, seat and door locks. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not finding any new switches available from vendors.
Yes, you are correct, unless that has changed recently. There are no replacement toggle or "L", "R" switches from the vendors. Ebay, CL, or the forums, is the place to go to locate these items. It may take you awhile to find them, as they appear few and far between.
You need to purchase the Service Manual for the 82, to help you diagnose the Power Mirrors. Most likely the switches are bad, and it may be a possibility that you can take them apart to clean and rebuild them to function properly. I'm sure someone who has gone through this before will give you the advice you need. Enjoy your 82, as we all do ours....Tom
Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The switch is out there but only a few vendors carry it. I would advise since you have no movement at all, to pull the switch and the joystick to check for power. Usually the joy stick will work one way (left/right) or (up/down) so I would think its the left/right mirror switch. But it could be a bad contact .
I say check first because these parts are not cheap!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hugie82
The switch is out there but only a few vendors carry it. I would advise since you have no movement at all, to pull the switch and the joystick to check for power. Usually the joy stick will work one way (left/right) or (up/down) so I would think its the left/right mirror switch. But it could be a bad contact .
I say check first because these parts are not cheap!!!
Hugie, I also would like to know what vendor(s) carry the switch(s). I have been looking myself and never seem to locate them with the vendors. Thanks for any info.........Tom
Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem as hugie82 suggested. Mine move in/out, but not up/down and I suspect the joystick. I have had the mirrors off (PIA) and saw no issues at this point. I have not had the joystick out (another PIA) to clean and replace because the need to move up/down is minimal at most. I will be curious as to what you find out SSROADSTER. Keep us informed with pics.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
jhiggins119
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
Yes, you are correct, unless that has changed recently. There are no replacement toggle or "L", "R" switches from the vendors. Ebay, CL, or the forums, is the place to go to locate these items. It may take you awhile to find them, as they appear few and far between.
You need to purchase the Service Manual for the 82, to help you diagnose the Power Mirrors. Most likely the switches are bad, and it may be a possibility that you can take them apart to clean and rebuild them to function properly. I'm sure someone who has gone through this before will give you the advice you need. Enjoy your 82, as we all do ours....Tom
Thanks for the good advice.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
jhiggins119
Intermediate

Old 01-06-2014, 06:12 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mirror gets it's power from the radio fuse,a brown wire is plugged into the fuse block I believe. You may be able to spray some contact cleaner/lubricant in the switches and work them through their cycles.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jhiggins119
Your quite welcome.....every little bit of info can help, makes it easier to get through the problem......

Originally Posted by bpassmore
The mirror gets it's power from the radio fuse,a brown wire is plugged into the fuse block I believe. You may be able to spray some contact cleaner/lubricant in the switches and work them through their cycles.
good info here, was wondering if that switch is similar to the power window switches, that the Ernie Wilcox video showed how to bring them back to life by taking them apart and cleaning the contacts.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I think this is correct. Double check this is not unplugged. Everything else will work, but not the power windows if this is unplugged or the connector or wire is damaged. I had this problem and found mine unplugged.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:10 PM
jhiggins119
Intermediate

Your quite welcome.....every little bit of info can help, makes it easier to get through the problem......

good info here, was wondering if that switch is similar to the power window switches, that the Ernie Wilcox video showed how to bring them back to life by taking them apart and cleaning the contacts.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM
jhiggins119
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Yes, I think this is correct. Double check this is not unplugged. Everything else will work, but not the power windows if this is unplugged or the connector or wire is damaged. I had this problem and found mine unplugged.
I found a wire with a clip hanging down by the fuse box. I was told that was for an auxilary devicee or option. My car has all options except the CB radio and power antenna. What do you think?
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 PM
bpassmore
Racer

It may be the wire, the remote mirror is an auxiliary device. Plug it in and see it works.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 PM
jhiggins119
Intermediate

It may be the wire, the remote mirror is an auxiliary device. Plug it in and see it works.
I can not find a place that it will fit in the fuse box. Any advice?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Right side of the fuse box, right above the printed "RADIO" should be tan or brown with white stripe mine has 2 wires in tandem.

I blew my radio fuse when wire in r door was pinched in the window mechanism.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:49 PM
jhiggins119
Intermediate

Right side of the fuse box, right above the printed "RADIO" should be tan or brown with white stripe mine has 2 wires in tandem.

I blew my radio fuse when wire in r door was pinched in the window mechanism.
I tried in vain to push the female end of the wire into a female recepticle where you suggested. Next to the slot where it looks like it goes, is a thin black box that sits in vertically. It is about 1.5 linches tall. Will that black box with several wires coming from it come out. If it does, I may be able to insert the male into the female recepticle.
Please advise. Thank you.
P.S.Wish I could stand on my head and do a better contortion which might enable me to see the positioning.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:54 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Hugie, I also would like to know what vendor(s) carry the switch(s). I have been looking myself and never seem to locate them with the vendors. Thanks for any info.........Tom
I tried to find where I saw it last and I can't. I might have seen it from another GM car. Like Cadillac or Pontiac will use the same switch for mirrors or seats.

Get notified of new replies

To '82 Power Mirrors

Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
bpassmore
Racer

If you take the black box off, it is a warning buzzer, you can probably plug the tan stripes wire in, then reattach the box.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
jhiggins119
Intermediate

Thanks. I will try that.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 PM
bpassmore
Racer

See if this helps.

Corvette mirrors044.pdf

Quick Reply: '82 Power Mirrors