C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken rear lug bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:24 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Broken rear lug bolt

Broke off bolt on my '77 and even after reading most of the posts here still can't figure out how the rotor seperates from wheel hub. Rivets have been removed and caliper out of way but can't tell where it seperates. Please help an old man get back on the road

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/Ron-1941/media/Brakes008.jpg.html][/URL

Last edited by San Diego Ron; 12-31-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 12-31-2013, 04:54 PM
1yy07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broken stud

turn roter so that you dont hit annything on in side p break usea punch to get rid of it. with new stud whack about 1/8 off of it slide it back in to hole turn nut backwardes pull it up move on. if you more help call the shop 615-255-3939. richard
Old 12-31-2013, 05:02 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1yy07
turn roter so that you dont hit annything on in side p break usea punch to get rid of it. with new stud whack about 1/8 off of it slide it back in to hole turn nut backwardes pull it up move on. if you more help call the shop 615-255-3939. richard
I used punch to knock broken bolt loose but now it is jammed against something and unable to turn wheel now. Does rotor come off?

Last edited by San Diego Ron; 12-31-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: add something
Old 12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I just took the rear rotors off a couple days ago on my '77. All I had to do was whack them a few times with a rubber mallet.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:13 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

By the way, I had the hand brake cable detached - don't know if that's important or not. You may want to put marks on a stud and the rotor so you know how to put it back in the exact same location in order not to mess with the run out.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

Originally Posted by RBrid
By the way, I had the hand brake cable detached - don't know if that's important or not. You may want to put marks on a stud and the rotor so you know how to put it back in the exact same location in order not to mess with the run out.
Stupid me...Thinking rotor came apart at yellow lines...comes apart at red lines over bolts. Sorry, just a brain freeze

Problem now is I punched broken bolt up against something and can't turn wheel to access star wheel to loosen shoes.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

you may need to loosen the parking brake shoes with the star wheel at the bottom, the rotors sometimes get a small lip worn into them on the inside and the shoes hang up on it when trying to remove the rotor. you may need to spray the center hub with some lubricant to help loosen it thats another place they hangup. then just work it back and forth and strike it alot with a rubber mallet.... good luck.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I like the TWA sign in the first picture--ex-TWA mechanic in KC..

Good idea to mark the relationship between the hub and the rotor. Put it back in the same place, then check the runout.
The rotor is probably rusted and stuck on the hub. Give it a good shot of your favorite rust penetrating oil. I like Hoppe's #9 Gun Solvent. Then use a big drift and a hammer and hit between the existing studs. That usually will pop them loose.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
I like the TWA sign in the first picture--ex-TWA mechanic in KC..

Good idea to mark the relationship between the hub and the rotor. Put it back in the same place, then check the runout.
The rotor is probably rusted and stuck on the hub. Give it a good shot of your favorite rust penetrating oil. I like Hoppe's #9 Gun Solvent. Then use a big drift and a hammer and hit between the existing studs. That usually will pop them loose.
Was able to punch broken bolt out, ran star wheel in all the way and removed rotor then star wheel, and after couple whacks with hammer on dust shield was able to get the new bolt in at the star wheel position. Replaced everything and with tire and wheel back on thought I was missing a lug nut...the one with broken off bolt inside. Tomorrow I'll buy a new one, or set and be good to go. Thanks for the help here. (an old 35 year TWA veteran "ramp rat" that worked at MKC awhile in the 1960's, before TWA's move to MCI...makes me remember the good old days when I lived next door to the Weaver Airline School and my favorite hang out, the Red Onion near the Plaza).

Get notified of new replies

To Broken rear lug bolt

Quick Reply: Broken rear lug bolt