C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QuadraJet Carb Stories Continue: Saving the Good and Trashing the Bad...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
The QJ is a pretty damn decent carb, and so down here in Florida maybe 5 years ago, I needed a carb for a Chevy van chassis P30 motor home, and wooden you know it, I remember the best of my old QJ collection, still setting on the garage wall, for some 25? years or so....I pulled that rascal down an told it, 'your time on the wall is over' time to get to work.....pulled it apart, found nothing rong, put it back with new top/bottom gaskets from my collection.....tossed it on the 350 chebby engine, and guess what?? been on there since.....starts/runs/idles/MPG ok, for what it is...8000 lbs chassis of motor home, cab over.....Can't beat THAT with a stick even.....
Well yeah. Put it on a shelf and don't use it for 25 years? Then put it on a slow no performance motor home and it chugs along fine? Perfect use for a q junk.

Not on my sports car.

People on here occasionally tell me how great they are on the track. I go to the track all the time, and never see them. Lots of Holley, Demon and even Edelbrock. Never a q junk.

Fuel injection is great, and expensive. If carbs were made totally obsolete by fi, then why is Holley going so strong and still in business for 100 years?

q junk was a flash in the pan that quickly was relegated to the salvage yards of time.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 PM
TWaldo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Boys...boys...

Well I for one, can't wait to receive the Qjet Lars has posted about. It seems as though there are passionate owners with many opinions. That's what makes better than other places on this planet.
IMHO...As long as the owner gets a smile when "mashing the throttle"...who really cares what's under the hood?

Tom
Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Tom -
It's all boxed up and going out to you first thing in the morning . Along with the re-curved distributor, this should run very well for you.

No takers yet on your old carb for use as a paperweight... maybe some people are getting wise to the commercial-built carb problem... Paul is sending his commercially built "pretty" carb out to me tomorrow, so we'll have to do a separate post and expose on that one...

Commando likes to have a little fun with me on the Q-Jets, knowing that I build, test and dyno run just as many Holley/Demon/QF carbs as I do Q-Jets, and knowing that I can get all of them to run at exactly the same power levels... it's all in fun.

Lars
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by shoptek
Beautiful work---as always Lars!!!

These "MacGyver" commercial rebuilders are something else...
Some commercial rebuilts come from well known names. I had a "Quadrajet rebuilt by Holley". biggest POS ever. Another rebuilder tried to save it, had to replace the body, mine was too hacked to be salvaged. I finally gave up on it, bought a carb from a forum member, had Lars give it a once over. It's not pretty but runs great!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually, some of the worst "remanufactured" Q-Jets come from Holley. Personally, I believe it's an evil plot initiated and headed up by Commando...

Lars
Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Happy New Year to you, too, Dick!

Yeah, I've been trying to dish out enough info about the "remanufactured" Q-Jet issues to make people here on the Forum aware of the problems associated with these carbs. I'm still seeing a lot of guys getting bit by junk carbs being sold as "new" or "rebuilt," and that's unfortunate - puts a bad taste on the whole Corvette experience.

Be glad to take a look at the carbs you have. Either send me a box-O-stuff or shoot me some photos of your stash - I can do a pretty good superficial evaluation from photos. E-mail me for some groundrules on photos sizes in your e-mail, since I don't have much capacity to open large files...

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com

Your way to generous lars. I would never expect something like that of u. It is nice of u too offer as i would like a rebuild on my newer Qjet with electric choke and APT for my driver C3. Right now its on the jacks since i pulled the old fuel lines waiting for me to install the new fuel lines along with new fuel tank, fuel pump too.

BTW let me know if i can help u out with a good Qjet core as i have several. Got a numberless carb with divorced choke/chevy inlet and several chevy inlet 800cfm w/elec choke + APT carbs.

When i get my '74 ready i'd like to drop u a line for a carb rebuild,
cardo0
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by commander_47
Well yeah. Put it on a shelf and don't use it for 25 years? Then put it on a slow no performance motor home and it chugs along fine? Perfect use for a q junk.

Not on my sports car.

People on here occasionally tell me how great they are on the track. I go to the track all the time, and never see them. Lots of Holley, Demon and even Edelbrock. Never a q junk.

Fuel injection is great, and expensive. If carbs were made totally obsolete by fi, then why is Holley going so strong and still in business for 100 years?

q junk was a flash in the pan that quickly was relegated to the salvage yards of time.

We read about plenty of FI conversions that end up as failures too. Mainly as owners think the FI conversion as the "easy" route to fuel management and become so angered after spending thousands instead of hundreds for a new carb they get rid of their entire car. Or thier car sits for years also.
Complicated fuel maps run by manifold absolute press sensors, cold O2 sensors needing heat, electric fuel pumps with higher fuel pressures need regulation, air filter relocation, even intake manifold swaps are not realized until several thousands are already spent.

No the qjet is not a simple carb with triple venturi primary for great sensitivity, an air valve that allows a tremendous range in cfm capacity, fast seconday mixture changes with its hangered metering rods - no $500 laptop needed here for tuning.
Qjet would be junk to someone that doesnt understand it just as FI is junk to someone that cant set it up to work either.

If u want new science then buy a new car,
cardo0
Old 01-02-2014, 03:18 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Another great post that will hopefully keep folks from sending their carb off to be destroyed.

Thanks for keeping this nearly lost art alive.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Lars,
Thanks for the information in these posts.
Your generosity in sharing your knowledge has help me locate, strip down, & rebuild a "year Specific" Qjet for my 71 BB.
Living Down Under, I dont get to talk with a lot of enthusiasts that want to dive into the Qjet as in depth as you do.
My car has never performed so well & Ive been driving it for over 30 years.

Andy
Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Great write up Lars. Especially the info on type of screws and correct color of the parts. I'll have to take a closer look at mine to verify the originality of mine. It's the details that count.
Fran
Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Just because the rebuilder has a well known name does not mean the work is quality. 15 years ago I bought a Q-Jet from the Carb Shop in LA, for $450. It was a good carb that was put together all wrong.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...et-photos.html
Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The carbs I like the most are the ones that still have the plugs or limiting caps on the idle mixture screws, pretty much guaranteed no one has been in to those.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up Lars, have to agree it's best to find a Qjet that hasent been touched.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

The "pretty" carb has been shipped to Lars for prognosis and possible restorative surgery.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
The carbs I like the most are the ones that still have the plugs or limiting caps on the idle mixture screws, pretty much guaranteed no one has been in to those.
Mine still has those caps intact.. When I sent it to Lars, he said he very rarely sees an unmolested Q-Jet. For that reason, he left them alone. Has run fine for years.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I have 2 or 3 in my garage that are like that. They have some shelf wear and could stand a good cleaning, but I've got a lot of confidence that they'd be great carbs in service.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by paul 74
The "pretty" carb has been shipped to Lars for prognosis and possible restorative surgery.
I'll mount Paul's Pretty Carb (now to be known as the "PPC") on the run engine in the as-received condition and give it a test run and a photo shoot. I'll start a new thread with test results and photos of the teardown, along with a technical evaluation of the results. I'll then go through the correct setup and repair process to fix whatever we find, and we'll then give it another test on the run engine. Should be a good technical write-up, so watch for it in a week-or-so...

Good participation and comments from everyone in this thread - thanks for all your notes and posts!

Lars

Get notified of new replies

To QuadraJet Carb Stories Continue: Saving the Good and Trashing the Bad...

Old 01-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
I'll mount Paul's Pretty Carb (now to be known as the "PPC") on the run engine in the as-received condition and give it a test run and a photo shoot. I'll start a new thread with test results and photos of the teardown, along with a technical evaluation of the results. I'll then go through the correct setup and repair process to fix whatever we find, and we'll then give it another test on the run engine. Should be a good technical write-up, so watch for it in a week-or-so...

Good participation and comments from everyone in this thread - thanks for all your notes and posts!

Lars
I look forward to the assessment of the PPC . You have a good sense of humour!

Last edited by Paul L; 01-02-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

happy New Year Lars!

how come my Qjet doesnt look like the rest of them?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Because it's upside-down and it's been broken in half. Weld the two halves back together and flip it over, and you'll be in good shape!

Quick Reply: QuadraJet Carb Stories Continue: Saving the Good and Trashing the Bad...