C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a Spreader bar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Should I get a Spreader bar?

Need some advice...I have an 81 I am about to change out all of the worn out rubber bushing to poly's. I have seen several images of guys who also run with spreader bars (like this one at ecklers:http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...Product_Viewed

Since I'm new to C3's and GM's overall...is there a benefit? to me 100 bucks ins't bad to add to the strength and drivability, again if that’s what it will do
Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 AM
roadblock69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are subjecting your car to high "g" load situations there may be some limited benefit.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Do a search of the C3 Tech forum. There have been numerous threads about spreader bars. The posts range from 'CAN'T HURT' to 'GREAT IMPROVEMENT', with most responders saying that it helped their handling and stability. I have a spreader bar similar to the one from Eckler's on my 77.

"While you are at it" (famous C3 phrase!!) you may wish to consider changing to tubular upper A-arms that allow for an increase in caster. Most C3's lose this adjustment as frames sag over the years, the steering lightens up excessively and the car becomes twitchy and darty on the highway. These A-arms restore the caster adjustment and will allow 4 to 5 degrees caster. This was the single best improvement that I made to my suspension (apart from 17 inch wheels and modern tires).

Last edited by Rotonda; 12-31-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The frame flexes a lot more than you think. If you will be doing any spirited driving and not just parades and static car shows, you will feel a difference. I had one, and made a bunch of changes to the car where I had to remove it. I will be making a new one to fit. Your alignment guy will hate it.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Being a rookie, the other reason that I found in the forum would be to "widen a collapsing frame" (the engine crossmember has "bowed" and the frame rails are closer together than they were from the factory) back to the original dimensions.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

The effects of adding a spreader bar are immediately noticeable, whether driving in a straight line or around corners. It tightens up the front end tremendously. It is the best bang-for-the-buck suspension mod....nothing else will make such a difference for so little money.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Perfect, this is the exact advise I was looking for, thanks a lot guys !!
Happy New Year - may we all win the lottery so we can really do what we want to our vette’s :P
Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
The effects of adding a spreader bar are immediately noticeable, whether driving in a straight line or around corners. It tightens up the front end tremendously. It is the best bang-for-the-buck suspension mod....nothing else will make such a difference for so little money.

i could not agree more. i was skeptical and thought in a few days maybe i would notice it , WRONG. i felt the difference going out my driveway. it was a bit of a pain to install , but really not that bad. best tip i can give is on the passenger side front control arm bolt take a dremel to the shroud and bore a hole so you can get a deep well socket on the control arm bolt. made that one ez. an air ratchet would help a bunch.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

will those ecklers bars fit a stock C3 with fan and clutch? or is it just for elect fan scenarios?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jnealg
will those ecklers bars fit a stock C3 with fan and clutch? or is it just for elect fan scenarios?
It fits. That is the major reason I bought that brand several years ago.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the Pic, and clarification on fitment...now I'm officially Sold on getting that one !
Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Brians1
Thanks for the Pic, and clarification on fitment...now I'm officially Sold on getting that one !
It's made by SpeedDirect, a Forum Sponsor. You can see it on their site. It did make a "mild" difference but that really depends on the condition of your frame and the type of driving. With my 1974 the car came from a dry (non-coastal) area of California so the frame is very solid and my driving is ... pretty mild as well. It is certainly a worthy addition at the price.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:22 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by paul 74
It's made by SpeedDirect, a Forum Sponsor. You can see it on their site. It did make a "mild" difference but that really depends on the condition of your frame and the type of driving. With my 1974 the car came from a dry (non-coastal) area of California so the frame is very solid and my driving is ... pretty mild as well. It is certainly a worthy addition at the price.
mine has less than 14k miles was always indoors.

its made by speed direct, it clears the fan just fine, i slid the bracket toward the engine as much as i could and had no issue.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
mine has less than 14k miles was always indoors.

its made by speed direct, it clears the fan just fine, i slid the bracket toward the engine as much as i could and had no issue.
So there's no welding? Just bolts on?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
So there's no welding? Just bolts on?
Yes.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

110%

The best bang for the buck by far for steering and handling! As 7t9l82 stated as well the effect of a spreader bar is immediate. I have had mine for several years now and the effect on ride, steering, tightness of the front end is dramatic.

Really quite perplexed by comments that the spreader bar effect was minimal or small on their C3's. If C3's with a spreader bar installed don't notice a dramatic effect on the chassis, something is wrong. Either the bar is incorrectly installed or not properly tensioned.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
110%

The best bang for the buck by far for steering and handling! As 7t9l82 stated as well the effect of a spreader bar is immediate. I have had mine for several years now and the effect on ride, steering, tightness of the front end is dramatic.

Really quite perplexed by comments that the spreader bar effect was minimal or small on their C3's. If C3's with a spreader bar installed don't notice a dramatic effect on the chassis, something is wrong. Either the bar is incorrectly installed or not properly tensioned.
Or the frame and front suspension is not weakened to begin with.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-31-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get a Spreader bar?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
110%

I have raced for years without one. But I had the cage and solid motor mounts along with the 79 frame with stich welding. So I noticed little or nothing with the spreader bar. If anything it is extra weight out front.

I have the higher mount VB&P spreader bar made for no mechanical fan.

Last edited by gkull; 12-31-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the frame being thinner in the 1980-82 vette it should help alot .in another thread on here ,a member posted pics of his ripped front cross member .I too am considering a spreader bar .
Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Have to look at the whole pix here guys, if your car is a stock machine, adding just one thing will do little, but if you add it after a comprehensive package, which means from tires/wheels/springs/shocks, all upgraded to say C4 specs you get FAR better handling, then upon adding the bar you really notice it a LOT....

I bought my '72 vert in '95 put on '92 wheels/tires, HUGE improvement, went VBP 460 front/360 rear springs, obvious all moving parts replaced also....some years later went for rack steering (another topic entirely) and so then the front cross support....which made a HUGE VERY BIG improvement, the A-B was proven for me by just dropping one end and driving around the block, then putting it back and driving it again....CASE CLOSED!!!!!!

the beast handles great....HUGE improvement with that cross support, ...

Quick Reply: Should I get a Spreader bar?