C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (Vette Brakes)

Old 07-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (Vette Brakes)

Hey gang--
Has anyone seen or had any experience with either of these systems? I am trying to see how much of a performance increase the Performance Plus (with front monospring) coupled with a Steeroids rack and pinion would offer over a complete C4 conversions (D44, suspension, brakes, etc.) The C4 conversion would cost over 2x the above-mentioned setup, but if it would offer vastly superior performance, I would just save longer! Anyway, thanks for your time. I appreciate any thoughts on any of these systems.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:29 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (Last Ride)

TTT, no one has experience with either?
Old 07-13-2002, 12:16 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Whatever you do to the suspension, it will still be attached to a frame designed in the early 60's. I think that the frame would flex too much to enjoy the fruits of all the labor and expence involved.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:33 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Do you have any more info on the C4 conversion? Link to a site perhaps? I'm curious to see how it's done.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:36 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (ddecart)

Paul Newmans site is http://www.carcreationsinc.com

I too think you'll have to weld the frame all the way through and maybe box it up to take full advantafe. Pauls work looks great but there are guys out there doing it for less. I've also found a company that offers a complete C3 tube chassis for 5000$. That's ready to bolt C4 susp. on.

Marck

Old 07-13-2002, 04:49 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (Twinnie)

Thanks for the link Marck! I had read about the C4 conversions and thought, for a few extra thousand vs the VBP top package and reworking a lot of the frame myself, why not spend the $$$. But adding it all up, it looks like you could easily spend $15,000 for a nice new rolling chassis. :eek: :eek:

Now I'm sure it's incredible, but going with VBP and new offset arms etc.cI think you could keep the cost under $6000 doing everyhting 1st class. And even if my math is wrong, is it worth another $5 - $10k for a shark? It sure makes since for a C1, but looks like too much money for a C3 . . . down the road I'll sharpen my pencil to compare both. I you could save your self the labor and only pay $3000 -$4000 more . . . HMMMMMM, Maybe. :cool:
Old 07-13-2002, 07:14 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (74-Roadster)

LOok, 95% of the improvements can be had by wheels and tires, and then Steeroids or you own install of rack/pinion steering, keep the stock brake arrangement...the rest is guilding the lilly....note that the C5 is coil spring all around, and so are most all really high end race cars, end of story....

GENE
Old 07-13-2002, 07:34 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (mrvette)

I went with the front mono spring and it made a huge difference! Now could this be done with rollbars and coilovers? Anyway this did help the front end a lot!

For the rear, you need to control the toe change as the wheel moves up and down. They did this on the C4, by having the spindle tie to the frame with two flexible links instead of the trailing arm arrangement of our cars. The flexible links, required that toe be controlled by another link going from the spindle to the differential cover. This C4 toe link controls toe over the wheeel movement. Some people on the forum have been trying out a so called six link system but this only controls camber, not the major problem, which is toe change.

If you buy the kit from Guldstrand for the rear it does the same thing the C4 rear does and only requires minor welding (most is bolt in). It's $2200, but it's all new stuff and it works. I plan on going this route. The if you wanted, you could go with a custom roll bar to tighten up the chassis. There should be a race shop in your area that could do this.

Dave
Old 07-13-2002, 08:05 AM
rambler323
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (mrvette)

....note that the C5 is coil spring all around, ....

GENE
You sure about that one ? I was under the impression that they all came with transverse springs...

Cp Cv Z
Suspension:
– Z51 Performance Handling Package O O –
– F45 Selective Real-Time Damping O O –
– FE1 Suspension S S –
– FE4 Suspension – – S
– Fully independent suspension with transverse springs S S S
Old 07-13-2002, 10:23 AM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (rambler323)

I think the hardcore C5ers upgrade to coilovers anyway, though...
-terry
Old 07-13-2002, 11:00 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (terryrudy)

But coil overs are good because they let you tune the chassis, not any magic in the coilovers...

I think the hardcore C5ers upgrade to coilovers anyway, though...
-terry
Old 07-13-2002, 11:42 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The single biggest way to improve C-3 handling is to ditch the mile-high sidewall 15 inchers, and replace them with a modern prolile wheel and tire.
I changed the '79 to 17" wheels and tires, and the handling difference is ENORMOUS. My 2c.
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 07-13-2002, 03:23 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (MassVette)

I agree with you all, it's a bit of overkill, but have you seen Rich Lagasse's chassis on that 196? Vette? I'm sure their C4 conversion is engineered very well and provides one heck of a ride for an old car . . . sure wish I could afford to drop that kind of money on a complete new state of the art chassis. Trying to justify it, I like paint and body stuff anyway so paying for a turnkey chassis would allow more time for custom bodywork. :yesnod: Not to mention they provide the option of LS-1 engine and tranny mounts. It'd be fun to drive a state of the art shark. :yesnod:
Old 07-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (Twinnie)

Marck--
Could you give us some more info on the others performing this conversion. That tube frame sounds awefully tempting.... :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (Vette Brakes)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paul Newman C4 Suspension Conversion vs. Aftermarket C3 (Vette Brakes)