C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)

I've been reading through lots of old threads trying to learn a few things and invariably one or two experts always post up the old "Buy an AIM" response to questions asked. Well I have an AIM as a matter of fact I have three of them for three different year ranges.

And believe it or not sometimes the AIM is actually inconclusive, down right wrong or very hard to see or read. Or maybe just maybe one of the 30,000 members here just doesn't have one (heavens forbid).

I'm curious as what prompts these people to log onto the forum read a post read through all the suggestions and post an answer like "Buy an AIM it will be the best investment you make" ? The poor guy asking the question just needs an answer in a somewhat short period of time and some scholar posts this up? Seems like they wait around just waiting to pounce on someone to "Buy an AIM". Like the door to door AIM salesman.

So as a New Years resolution. Those of you that don't have a real suggestion, answer, follow up question or definitive answer try not to let your fingers type "A"-"I"-"M". I know its really hard and I really worried about where to post this, thought general, but then most of you live in this forum. So lets all have a happy new year and no more Buy an AIM posts!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya know, sometimes there might be a propensity of some to be quick with a recommendation to buy an AIM and maybe they could relax their trigger finger a bit, BUT, if someone is going to buy an older Vette, and wants to maintain, repair or modify the car, an AIM with a factory service manual can answer an awful lot of questions, accurately. Let's face it, rarely do the cars only need one thing fixed, and if you're new to these cars, these are valuable resources, particularly to a new owner.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by damoroso
Ya know, sometimes there might be a propensity of some to be quick with a recommendation to buy an AIM and maybe they could relax their trigger finger a bit, BUT, if someone is going to buy an older Vette, and wants to maintain, repair or modify the car, an AIM with a factory service manual can answer an awful lot of questions, accurately. Let's face it, rarely do the cars only need one thing fixed, and if you're new to these cars, these are valuable resources, particularly to a new owner.

LOL so your saying "Buy an AIM"? to a buy an AIM Rant? LOLOLOL you made my day!

Last edited by micks69; 12-29-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If you don't have one, well..........

I actually have two, the original paper version and the CD
Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Dk Gy Met
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with micks69, either be helpful or move along.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you're going to work on your own 'vette, you should have an AIM. This is what your rant sounds like, metaphorically:

"Some people want to hammer nails, but don't own a hammer. I am sick and tired of people telling them that they should buy a hammer!"

If you want to hammer nails, you should have a hammer. If you want to work on your 'vette, you should have an AIM.

On the other hand, I do agree that some folks are a little glib about it. "Where the heck is the jack?" "Go buy an AIM." That's not cool, just tell him where the jack is. Then maybe recommend buying an AIM.

Scott
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scottyp99
If you're going to work on your own 'vette, you should have an AIM. This is what your rant sounds like, metaphorically:

"Some people want to hammer nails, but don't own a hammer. I am sick and tired of people telling them that they should buy a hammer!"

If you want to hammer nails, you should have a hammer. If you want to work on your 'vette, you should have an AIM.

On the other hand, I do agree that some folks are a little glib about it. "Where the heck is the jack?" "Go buy an AIM." That's not cool, just tell him where the jack is. Then maybe recommend buying an AIM.

Scott
More like if your going to hammer nails read the hammers instruction maual. What do you mean you don't have the manual that came with the hammer? Are u an idiot for throwing that away or not getting a new one You guys are killing me I'm rolling on the ground with the "buy an AIM" comments to this.

Last edited by micks69; 12-29-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I see lots of questions that end up not getting answered at all because the answer is easily available in the AIM.

Just sayin'.

People should get an owner's manual too.

And read the stickies.

And do a search.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Most of the questions I have are regarding very specific performance issues or other non OEM items. I too grow tired of hearing 'buy an AIM'. However, Id like to ask what the AIM provides that 1) a chiltons manual wont and 2) what a google search reveals

Im not bashing the AIM, I just dont want to spend money for information that seems to be readily available. Can anyone give me a honest, non biased opinion of an AIM (For a guy who does all his own work? I feel most wrenching is common sense and I usually only need the manuals for very specific references)
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree with you on this one. Most of the time it may be a newbie that does not know the AIM exists. But in the meantime they are working on their car and could use some help. Maybe until their AIM arrives.

But why not answer their questions first, provide some insight, and then add that the AIM may have additional information that would be useful in working on a 30-40 year old car.

kdf
Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

It's not just he AIM thing, there are many other trolls who think they are experts on engines, oil etc, that will turn on any simple question, mostly from unsuspecting noobies but the trolls are bi-partisan, the noobies just open themselves up more often. I for one have virtually stopped posting questions on this board since the responses seem to average 80/10/10

80% Sarcastic Trolls
10% Reply but not correct or not on topic
10% answer with some level for reasonable response to the actual question

It is much easier just to do a search, read the GM materials and start taking it apart.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scottd
Most of the questions I have are regarding very specific performance issues or other non OEM items. I too grow tired of hearing 'buy an AIM'. However, Id like to ask what the AIM provides that 1) a chiltons manual wont and 2) what a google search reveals

Im not bashing the AIM, I just dont want to spend money for information that seems to be readily available. Can anyone give me a honest, non biased opinion of an AIM (For a guy who does all his own work? I feel most wrenching is common sense and I usually only need the manuals for very specific references)

My point exactly. Since you don't have an AIM let me tell you should have one (snickering in background).

If you did have one you would quickly realize that the illustration which are what really help look like they are drawn by 8th graders with pencils that that break up every 1/8th inch so you have to extrapolate where the line would actually go. Unless you really need the torque value of the interior trim screws that is.

Last edited by micks69; 12-29-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

I like to roam the Chevelle forums, Z28, LS1 forums because I like Chevy's and contrary to popular belief, corvettes are mostly chevy's. Never do any posts on those forums recomend to the OP to buy a manual. Just sayin.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:37 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have only had 2 Corvettes over the years. I always work on all my vehicles. Never let anyone touch them as far as repairs go.

I have never even heard of an AIM until I came to these forums. I had to look it up. I figured it must be a top secret Corvette thing that was only privy to the people here on these forums. I was a little disappointed when I found out that it was just a picture manual and not the gospel to all cars.

I don't know how anyone ever was able to repair these vehicles without an AIM.

Last edited by 76Rat; 12-30-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:59 AM
stopherjones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished a 4.5 year project resto-modding a '74 I saved from a pine tree infested salvage yard. First Corvette and first time restoring a car to this magnitude. One of the first things I bought was the AIM. (As so frequently requested LOL)

In the 4.5 years I spent on this car, I actually tried to use that waste of paper and $20 I spent on it several times. Actually I did think it was kinda cool to see how much leakage a Vette could withstand from a water spray booth from the factory. That was pretty much what I got from it. That was after I spent countless days with sticky notes making my own index for it...

I suppose if you did not take a thousand pics like I did or have a short memory like I have, an AIM could in a slight way help assemble some random part...But as stated above the lines are blurry or the part # I actually needed was cut off and I still had to ask on this wonderful site a simple question...

So whenever I see someone post a question and the first reply is "Buy The AIM", my thought is always what AIM stands for....

Always. In. Menstruation.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 AM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by micks69
My point exactly. Since you don't have an AIM let me tell you should have one (snickering in background).

If you did have one you would quickly realize that the illustration which are what really help look like they are drawn by 8th graders with pencils that that break up every 1/8th inch so you have to extrapolate where the line would actually go. Unless you really need the torque value of the interior trim screws that is.
My impression of the aim. Some useful info if you are already sure of what you are looking at. Trying to figure stuff out from the drawings is not fun. Often if you ask on the forum someone has a photo of exactly what you need to see. That is after carefully explaning to 8 guys you already have an AIM and the badly photocopied scribble left some questions unanswered.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I think the guys from the NCRS are the ones who publish and distribute the AIM manual. I hope they are making a lot of money off of the sales.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)

Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL so your saying "Buy an AIM"? to a buy an AIM Rant? LOLOLOL you made my day!
I'm here to help!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...And believe it or not sometimes the AIM is actually inconclusive, down right wrong or very hard to see or read...
Which of your AIMs is "down right wrong"? Please post the model year, the UPC and sheet number of the error.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,195 Likes on 2,753 Posts

As a rookie, I find the A** useful....and the maintenance manual useful also. (I always read through the maintenance manual/glance at the A** before I work on my car..............OR ASK A QUESTION)

Plus.......I don't like to ask all those newbie questions that some members have already answered 500 times (out of respect for the members).

I have seen the "jack question" and thought "Really".....but then, I know a guy who doesn't know where his vehicle jack is....(that's where that thing he learned in the 1st grade would come in handy).

So....thanks for answering my questions/advising me to get an owner's manual/advising me to get a maintenance manual (NOT a Chilton or Haynes)/ advising me to get an A** (so I would have a clue as to what you guys are talking about).

EDIT: And I need to remember that some members spend their days behind a desk....and changing the printer ink cartridge is an undertaking.

Last edited by doorgunner; 12-30-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)