C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

I would not have know what the AIM was if it was not referred to on the Forum. Although not user friendly it has helped me numerous times and to me it was well worth the money.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 AM
roadblock69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that it is quite common to ask a question here much like one would ask in conversation with friends. Most friends will simply answer. The ones that send you to the AIM are most likely the ones that do not have the answer. I see many "snarky" replies in the C6 forum. I hope that the C3 forum can avoid that diminished level of civility. We should respond to legitimate questions with legitimate answers. I have an AIM, they are not always clear. I will try to answer questions if I have the answer. If I do not have the answer, I have the ability to simply move on and allow someone with knowledge on the subject to answer the question.

Last edited by roadblock69; 12-30-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: English error
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by micks69
More like if your going to hammer nails read the hammers instruction maual. What do you mean you don't have the manual that came with the hammer? Are u an idiot for throwing that away or not getting a new one You guys are killing me I'm rolling on the ground with the "buy an AIM" comments to this.
The HIM is a valuable document, and well worth studying if you don't already know how to use a hammer.

If I could change the subject for a moment, I would like to commend you for retaining a sense of humor in the face of people disagreeing with you. Some people take things so personally.

I don't answer people's questions by telling them to go buy an AIM, that's a cop-out. But I will continue to recommend procuring one. Yeah, it sucks to use, because it was intended for workers on the assembly line, not people making repairs, but it contains info that you just can't find anywhere else.

Scott
Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by doorgunner
As a rookie, I find the A** useful....and the maintenance manual useful also. (I always read through the maintenance manual/glance at the A** before I work on my car..............OR ASK A QUESTION)

Plus.......I don't like to ask all those newbie questions that some members have already answered 500 times (out of respect for the members).

I have seen the "jack question" and thought "Really".....but then, I know a guy who doesn't know where his vehicle jack is....(that's where that thing he learned in the 1st grade would come in handy).

So....thanks for answering my questions/advising me to get an owner's manual/advising me to get a maintenance manual (NOT a Chilton or Haynes)/ advising me to get an A** (so I would have a clue as to what you guys are talking about).

EDIT: And I need to remember that some members spend their days behind a desk....and changing the printer ink cartridge is an undertaking.
"Where the heck is the jack?" was one of the very first questions I asked on this forum. When I bought my 'vette, it came without a jack, and I had no idea even where it was supposed to be. I searched and searched, but couldn't find it. (because it wasn't there!) I finally asked on this forum, (felt a little embarrassed about asking) got the answer, and realized I had no jack, so I went out and bought one. I eventually purchased an AIM, and, sure enough, it tells you where the jack is supposed to be, (if you flip through it long enough.) and it has come in handy on several occasions since.

Scott
Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Scott,

(if you flip through it long enough.)

I have the CD version of the AIM. And it can be loaded on a PC HDD if you wish. It has a keyword search function that works very well. No flipping pages or need to create a paper Table of Contents.

The AIM along with this manual is a very informative combination.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-30-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
"Where the heck is the jack?" was one of the very first questions I asked on this forum. When I bought my 'vette, it came without a jack, and I had no idea even where it was supposed to be. I searched and searched, but couldn't find it. (because it wasn't there!) I finally asked on this forum, (felt a little embarrassed about asking) got the answer, and realized I had no jack, so I went out and bought one. I eventually purchased an AIM, and, sure enough, it tells you where the jack is supposed to be, (if you flip through it long enough.) and it has come in handy on several occasions since.

Scott
Did your owner's manual not say where the jack is?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there are a couple of folks on here that seem to just want to up their post count and thats an easy way to do it.
That and a handful of other useless replies. You will quickly figure out who they are. I just wish we had a block feature.
Its just rude and IMHO if you are going to say "get an aim" at least run through some of the possible resolutions.
If that's too much to type then why are you really here?

edit... oh +1!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,250 Likes on 969 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Which of your AIMs is "down right wrong"? Please post the model year, the UPC and sheet number of the error.
To post a reply saying the answer is in the AIM is not very helpful. One should at least post the page number in the AIM or better yet post the actual page.

Where does #6 go? (the 68-76 parking brake console front bezel).
It slips onto the shifter console and not on the parking brake console so that page is not very helpful.

How about the vacuum hoses at the headlight switch?
You have a 50 / 50 chance of getting that correct if you use that page.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Default Now you tell me!

Originally Posted by stopherjones
I spent countless days with sticky notes making my own index for it.
Here's a index.

http://www.birkes.com/corvette/sprea...Alpha_Sort.htm
Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by petes74ttop

Where does #6 go? (the 68-76 parking brake console front bezel).
It slips onto the shifter console and not on the parking brake console so that page is not very helpful.

How about the vacuum hoses at the headlight switch?
You have a 50 / 50 chance of getting that correct if you use that page.
Not to hijack, but item #6 does fit into the parking brake cover as shown and not the shifter console on original cars. Must be something strange with yours.

WRT the vacuum hoses for the headlights, original head light switches have a blue paint daub to indicate which hose goes where.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Did your owner's manual not say where the jack is?
Didn't even have an owner's manual. And, it had a fair bit of bubba fixes here and there. The AIM was very helpful. To someone with an already properly sorted out car, the AIM may not be quite as useful.

Scott
Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Another item that is indespensible for a new Corvette owner is GASOLINE! That is just a bit higher on the 'totem pole of importance' than the A.I.M. But only just a bit higher....

If you don't DIY the work on your Corvette, you probably don't need one. But, for the the mechanic who DOES work on your car, it is a requirement.

The difference in philosophies is 1) whether you want instant gratification with a solution...even though you don't understand it...OR 2) whether you want to have the understanding and knowledge available to fix it yourself [without asking others]. Either method will work--as long as the info you get from others is valid.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-30-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM
fanmanbd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Get an AIM" is the most useful advise I have read on this forum and I pass it on. It has answered questions for me that hours of searching could not.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,077 Posts

If your so insulted that the OP asked the question that can be answered in the AIM or owners manual, why would you bother replying...

I've also seen at least one response to a call for a picture where the responder told them to use google.

Well if everything we need is in the AIM, owners manual and google, why bother with the forum

I've got the AIM, actually 2 paper copies and the CD
I've got the owners manual
I've got the GM chassis manual book
I've got the Hayes and the Chiltons books
I've got the "how to rebuild Corvette rolling chassis" book
I've got the "how to paint things black" book (AKA corvette restoration guide)
I've got numerous books and engine building

Sometimes I can't locate it, sometimes I don't understand it, sometimes I don't agree with it. Sometimes I'm just lazy

By the way, the forum has a block function where posts by users don't show up. It's made my days on here much nicer
M
Old 12-30-2013, 02:03 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by micks69
I like to roam the Chevelle forums, Z28, LS1 forums because I like Chevy's and contrary to popular belief, corvettes are mostly chevy's. Never do any posts on those forums recomend to the OP to buy a manual. Just sayin.
Regarding the AIM Manual:
I have been doing all my own work on my 67 for the past 46 years! I have every Chevrolet Manual, AIM and Book etc. published since day one for my 67. I use the AIM the most (I have 3 1967 AIM manuals - one custom hardbound edition on my coffee table - )

Sometimes you have to study the AIM page for a while to figure things out. You must be mechanically inclined to do so. It's all good!

There are our commonly well known and highly respected experts (Some actually worked on building these cars for GM during that era) on our CORVETTE forum that respond to our posts with the actual AIM section and page number for the reference to the OP's inquiry. I think this is AWESOME. The OP can go directly into the AIM and see the correct diagram quickly and relate it to their response details.

BTW - This CORVETTE FORUM is the best out there for CORVETTES.

"Just Sayin" AIM AIM AIM AIM AIM AIM AIM AIM FOREVER!

PS-What is a Chevelle??
Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mooser

Well if everything we need is in the AIM, owners manual and google, why bother with the forum

I
Good point. This might help

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+bother+with+the+forum+
Old 12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mooser
I've also seen at least one response to a call for a picture where the responder told them to use google.
Man, you have to admit that sometimes people post questions on this forum that would be very easily answered by taking 5 minutes to do a Google search, instead of waiting all day, or maybe several days, for someone to answer your question. If you don't know about Google, someone telling you about it is pretty good advice, if you ask me.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)

Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Any work I do on the corvettes begins with the AIM. I typically layout my work and pull the pages for easy reference. I write on the pages, make notations for which bolt goes where.

Now if I want to search online, I typically type my subject into google followed by corvetteforum. Much better results than trying to use the search function of this forum.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I agree with Pete that the AIM is the most useful reference when working on 68-72 Corvettes.
In reading questions posted on the Forum I find that many people who reply answer the question and also give the UPC/Sheet reference.
When new car owners ask what reference materials they should purchase to help them work on their car the AIM seems to consistently be listed first.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Not to hijack, but item #6 does fit into the parking brake cover as shown and not the shifter console on original cars. Must be something strange with yours.

WRT the vacuum hoses for the headlights, original head light switches have a blue paint daub to indicate which hose goes where.
Maybe different years fit as illustrated in the aim but the clips on 6 fit into the rectangle on my shifter console and the pb cover goes over it.

The headlight page could be a little clearer, you might remember corvette 101 had those
vacuum lines reversed.

Two bad pages out of over 400, that's not bad.
The AIM is a good thing and the OP just asked members to post the drawing or page not just say "It's in the AIM"and I agree.

Quick Reply: Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)