C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how loose can a spindle flange fit be on axle spline

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:47 PM
tixeon
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Default how loose can a spindle flange fit be on axle spline

I have a 80 with the one piece spindle flange. I am in the process of replacing rear spindle bearings. When I pulled the right side apart I noticed it had been worked on before as the rotor had been drilled on that side. Anyway the the pinned nut that holds the flange was only finger tight after removing the cotter pin. I suppose the PO had tightened it like a front wheel brg. The flange was able to rock on the axle shaft and has a little wear. The other side was tightened correctly (100 FT LBS) and it also has some play in the spline fit after disassembly and cleaning. One side feels looser then the other. How loose is too loose?
Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 PM
tixeon
Burning Brakes

Just looked through receipts that came with the car. Although this work was done by a shop in 1997 it was only about 4500 miles ago.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:18 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clean it up nice and put it back together with some light duty Loc-Tite, and then torque it to spec. Your parking brake needs to work well, or the wheel will just spin. If it's an adult driven street car, you will probably be fine.
For severe service, forget what I just said.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM
tixeon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Your parking brake needs to work well, or the wheel will just spin.

Not quite sure what you meant by this. Are you talking about when I torque it to 100 ft lbs?

After re-reading I guess that's what you meant. I was stuck on Loctite and parking brake, and trying to make a connection. Sorry, it all makes perfect sense now.

Last edited by tixeon; 12-27-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: after thought
Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tixeon
Not quite sure what you meant by this. Are you talking about when I torque it to 100 ft lbs?

After re-reading I guess that's what you meant. I was stuck on Loctite and parking brake, and trying to make a connection. Sorry, it all makes perfect sense now.
Don't wory about parking brake just wedge a longer crow bar or other rod in between the lugs and the floor and tighten away.

Get notified of new replies

To how loose can a spindle flange fit be on axle spline

Quick Reply: how loose can a spindle flange fit be on axle spline