C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent hard steering when turning to the right only

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 04:05 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Intermittent hard steering when turning to the right only

When turning to the right only, the steering at times is difficult, like no assist at all, and then will suddenly "come alive" with normal power assist. this is intermittent; sometimes it behaves normally , sometimes acts as I just described.

It doe not happen when turning to the left at all, the steering responds normally.

The control valve and power steering cylinder (Ram) are from VBP, not the originals. The power steering pump is rebuilt OEM and worked finre before. All hoses were replaced.

There are no signs of anything binding or rubbing in the linkages.

Neither the Control Valve nor the Ram leak.

The Control Valve is balanced. the rod moves easily in and out by hand and the wheels do not move when off the ground with the engine started.

I pulled the Ram and when I shake it I can hear something loose and rattling inside. Is that normal? Is there something inside that moves freely like that, maybe as a check valve? If not then that may be the problem.

I don't want to take the ram back to VBP for replacement, or go buy another one if that isn't the problem.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 04:44 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Since you checked everything else............ I broke a driver side motor mount in my Vette and it allowed motor TQ to press or lift the exhaust headers into the steering rag joint coupler. Making the steering stiff.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stock76
When turning to the right only, the steering at times is difficult, like no assist at all, and then will suddenly "come alive" with normal power assist. this is intermittent; sometimes it behaves normally , sometimes acts as I just described.

It doe not happen when turning to the left at all, the steering responds normally.

The control valve and power steering cylinder (Ram) are from VBP, not the originals. The power steering pump is rebuilt OEM and worked finre before. All hoses were replaced.

There are no signs of anything binding or rubbing in the linkages.

Neither the Control Valve nor the Ram leak.

The Control Valve is balanced. the rod moves easily in and out by hand and the wheels do not move when off the ground with the engine started.

I pulled the Ram and when I shake it I can hear something loose and rattling inside. Is that normal? Is there something inside that moves freely like that, maybe as a check valve? If not then that may be the problem.

I don't want to take the ram back to VBP for replacement, or go buy another one if that isn't the problem.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks
I went through something similar this summer on my 81. In my case, the wheels felt much more resistance turning left than right. I went through the process of replacing the PSCV as well as the Ram, only to find after ordering and pulling everything off that the mounting bracket where the Ram connects to the frame was loose. Due to loose connection, the ram was binding as the mount deflected toward the outside. I also had some darting going on at high speed. That was probably a rare event but only a ten second check that might be worth a look.

FWIW - I do not recall anything rattling around inside the RAM, but I wouldn't take that to the bank.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't have power steering on my '72, but I did have this same problem on two other vehicles of mine. One was a Jeep CJ7. It did this on left turns. Ended up replacing the power steering pump to solve that one. Other one was a Grand Prix. Turned out to be a bad power steering belt. That one was a cheap fix. I guess what I'm saying is it could be a number of things. You just have to start eliminating the good.
Duane
Old 12-19-2013, 06:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have never heard anything rattling around on a cylinder when I have shaken them...and I have installed numerous. it may be the issue....hard to confirm.

Like mentioned...a loose belt can do it...along with if you have issues with the power steering fluid carbonating.

There can be a "glitch" in the control valve also. I would contact VBP and talk to them. For what it is worth...even if you had to replace everything again...that is nothing compared to your steering sticking and you hitting something.

Possible hose issue for the "extend-retract" from the valve to the cylinder. Switch these two hoses and see if it changes to the left turn is now the problem.

If everything is new...and under a warranty/guarantee....I would not waste the time trying to repair it....I would re-install new parts again and go from there.

VBP is a great company...contact them.

DUB
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Thanks to everyone that replied. I had already checked some of the obvious like belt tension but not some of the others.

I will contact VBP first to get their feedback on the Ram. If there is nothing supposed to be loose inside it, that is probably where the problem lies. I have a gut feeling that's it. If not, I'll look the other suggestions and failing those, I think I'll take your suggestion Dub and just replace everything again.

Thanks again gentlemen. Once I get it straightened out I'll post the solution just in case someone else gets this problem in the future.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a problem, when stopped, not moving, if I
put on the brakes I can't turn right take my foot off the
brake and it turns right just fine, no problems turning
left. Started when my mechanic installed the control valve
he said he balanced it.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Typically, the power steering pump does not cause a problem in only one direction. It doesn't know which way you are turning.

Don't screw around reversing hose connections. You would know if the hoses were not connected to the ram and the control valve correctly. The system shakes and shudders if they are not correct.

Jim
Old 12-19-2013, 11:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jim shea
typically, the power steering pump does not cause a problem in only one direction. It doesn't know which way you are turning.

i know the pump does not know what direction the car is turning...but i thought that it was intermittent...the pump pressure could cause it...evidently not.

Don't screw around reversing hose connections. You would know if the hoses were not connected to the ram and the control valve correctly. The system shakes and shudders if they are not correct.
i was just thinking that many things today can have a defect in them. Maybe one of the two hoses (extend or retract) has an issue and if switch it could cause the left turn to have the problem.
jim
dub
Old 12-20-2013, 01:54 AM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Had the exact same problem with the 68. Leaving a car show had to make a hard right turn and lost assist, left turn assist was fine. Turned out the ram was the problem. Could hear something rattling and rolling around inside.

Rebuilt ram fixed the problem.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Intermittent assist is different from "left turn only" lack of assist. If it is intermittent then it could be the pump.

The assist cylinder (ram) has a plastic seal on a piston inside. It is very possible that it is worn and could leak more fluid one direction than the other. This could cause a lack of assist in one direction only. Unfortunately, the assist cylinder is of welded contruction and you cannot service that seal.

Jim
Old 12-20-2013, 12:52 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

I spoke with Gary at VBP this AM. He said something rattling around inside the Ram was not normal. All he could think of is there is a nut inside on the rod that holds the internal seal and maybe that came loose and is what is rattling and causing the problem.

Fortunately I am only about 30 miles away from VBP and will bring the suspect Ram over for them to look at. He said he will work me a good deal to upgrade to one of the stainless steel sleeved rebuilt rams. They won't have any made up til next week or the week after. I can wait.

Again, I have a gut feeling this is the problem. As Jim Shea posted, if it was the PS Pump it would happen turning in both directions since Saginaw never taught their pumps how to tell right from left before sending them out in the world.

The folks at VBP are a great group to deal with. Hopefully a new power steering cylinder will be the cure.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. The help is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Here is an update to my original post:

VBP ran some ot their remanufactured stainless steel sleeved power steering cylinders (PN# 12802S) and gave me a call that they had one set aside for me.

I went over with my old Ram to exchange/upgrade. Gary at VBP shook my old Ram and said there is nothing inside that should be rattling around like that. The Ram was part of a kit I had bought (#22851) but was not a rebuilt, they had evidently put a new one in the kit as a replacement because they didn't have any rebuilts ready at the time.

I installed the new Ram yesterday afternoon, checked for leaks and drove the car. Correct power steering is restored! Turning is smooth in either direction now, so it was the Power Steering Cylinder.

Problem solved.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar issue, only with turning to the right. Found it to be PWS hose routing. The pressure hose was binding just a bit when turning fully to the right. Maybe you routed your hoses differently this time?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=damoroso;1585823090]I had a similar issue, only with turning to the right. Found it to be PWS hose routing. The pressure hose was binding just a bit when turning fully to the right. Maybe you routed your hoses differently this time?[/QUOTE

Nope put the hoses back exactly the same way. I had already checked and ruled that out previously.

Whatever was floating around inside the PS Cylinder must have been intermittently blocking off and then releasing pressure causing the steering assist problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent hard steering when turning to the right only

Quick Reply: Intermittent hard steering when turning to the right only