C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balanced TBs Tonite...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Balanced TBs Tonite...

I got the car up to operating temp. I plugged the IAC ports on the tops of the TB's and when I hooked up my home made manometer, it wasn't pulling any vacuum. The TB's had already been modified to allow adjustment by the PO, so I adjusted the rear TB (driver's side) to 6" of water, then hooked up both TB's to balance them out with the balance screw. Wow what a difference! My idle has climbed up to around 750 in Drive now and just a hair under 900 in Park. Does this sound okay? Or do I need to revisit ? If I need to lower the idle, how do I do that? For now I'm happy, the car has always run good, but now it runs even better. The only problem I have left is an intermittent CEL. WinALDL flagged it as an ESC fault, code 44 I think, I'd have to go check again. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawmain
I got the car up to operating temp. I plugged the IAC ports on the tops of the TB's and when I hooked up my home made manometer, it wasn't pulling any vacuum. The TB's had already been modified to allow adjustment by the PO, so I adjusted the rear TB (driver's side) to 6" of water, then hooked up both TB's to balance them out with the balance screw. Wow what a difference! My idle has climbed up to around 750 in Drive now and just a hair under 900 in Park. Does this sound okay? Or do I need to revisit ? If I need to lower the idle, how do I do that? For now I'm happy, the car has always run good, but now it runs even better. The only problem I have left is an intermittent CEL. WinALDL flagged it as an ESC fault, code 44 I think, I'd have to go check again. Any ideas? Thanks!
Whats your home made manometer look like? Clear hose in a U shape on a board? When you say 6 inches of water you mean 3 down on the right side and 3 up on the left side? Not all 6 on one side right?

750 and 900 are a bit high. Should be a bit lower. Is the throttle linkage slightly touching the stop on the rear TBI?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Yes, it's in a U shape and I did 3 up on one side and 3 down on the other. The throttle linkage is set as it should be. I read one of the articles from the sticky that said to reduce the idle with the minimum air screw on the driver's side TB. I'll try that later on.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Went out and re balanced just to be sure. Sucked all my water out this time, lol. So I re loaded the manometer and went after it again. Set one at 6" (3 up, 3 down) then set the other one independently at 6" (3 up, 3 down). Hooked both up and it was balanced perfectly. Idle this time is at 550-600 in drive and around 750-800 in park. Performance is the same as before. Still getting the CEL though, so that fight goes on...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Okay, so I've taken a look, and the knock sensor has been replaced with a later model. There is a shield on the wire that I assume used to be a ground for the original knock sensor but now it's not grounded since there is no provision for grounding on the later year sensor. Does that shield wire need to be grounded somewhere? Has anyone else replaced the knock sensor and grounded the shielding somewhere else?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:59 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I have changed my knock sensor to the later 1987 model .I only hooked up the one wire ,not the shielding .I have had no problem with cel light.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

The more I look, the more I find. I have a spare intake, lid, and TB's and I was comparing them today. On the car, the rear (drivers side) TB has the regulator, but on the spare, the regulator is on the Front (passenger side) TB. The regulator is supposed to be on the front TB isn't it? If that is the case, I need to swap injector pods on my car because they are backwards. Can anyone confirm the placement of the regulator? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by terry82
I have changed my knock sensor to the later 1987 model .I only hooked up the one wire ,not the shielding .I have had no problem with cel light.

Okay, thanks! I won't worry about the shielding then.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

I thought it was on the drivers side ,back one .check no 6 http://www.crossfireinjection.net/faqs.htm#second question

Last edited by terry82; 12-19-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

I thought it was on the drivers side ,back one .check no 6 http://www.crossfireinjection.net/faqs.htm#second question
Cool, another worry resolved. Thanks! Have you made your regulator adjustable? I'm looking at doing that. After looking around on that site I see they have a tool to adjust the pressure on the car (once you have made the modification to the FP regulator) but it's kinda pricey for what it is. Any pointers?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Cool, another worry resolved. Thanks! Have you made your regulator adjustable? I'm looking at doing that. After looking around on that site I see they have a tool to adjust the pressure on the car (once you have made the modification to the FP regulator) but it's kinda pricey for what it is. Any pointers?
I made the adjustment and bought the tool and it is NOT easy to use. Easier to adjust with the regulator out of the tbi, re-install and go from there. Have to guess the on the first adjustment. Maybe do 2 or 3 times and its done. The bendy device was too hard to work.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:17 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Went out and re balanced just to be sure. Sucked all my water out this time, lol. So I re loaded the manometer and went after it again. Set one at 6" (3 up, 3 down) then set the other one independently at 6" (3 up, 3 down). Hooked both up and it was balanced perfectly. Idle this time is at 550-600 in drive and around 750-800 in park. Performance is the same as before. Still getting the CEL though, so that fight goes on...
Whats the code or codes?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:35 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

before messing with the pressure put a gage on it and see what you have .it may be fine .
Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Whats the code or codes?
Code 43, no other codes.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

before messing with the pressure put a gage on it and see what you have .it may be fine .
That's the plan. Where did you take your pressure measurements? Is there a good spot? I have the gasket set for the intake, I hope to be doing that over the holidays. Idles fine, doesn't hunt or surge but I just want to be sure. I'm gonna order a rebuild kit for the TB's as well. If I get everything squared away and still have a code 43 I'll see about getting a new ESC Module if there are any still around.

Last edited by Drawmain; 12-20-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: added another question
Old 12-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry82
I made the adjustment and bought the tool and it is NOT easy to use. Easier to adjust with the regulator out of the tbi, re-install and go from there. Have to guess the on the first adjustment. Maybe do 2 or 3 times and its done. The bendy device was too hard to work.
How does the gasket tolerate the extra remove and replace cycles? Do I need to have a few spares on hand?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

That's the plan. Where did you take your pressure measurements? Is there a good spot? I have the gasket set for the intake, I hope to be doing that over the holidays. Idles fine, doesn't hunt or surge but I just want to be sure. I'm gonna order a rebuild kit for the TB's as well. If I get everything squared away and still have a code 43 I'll see about getting a new ESC Module if there are any still around.

I've never seen an ESC module go. Hopefully that's not it. They are hard to find.

Are you sure the knock sensor is working right?

Curious but did you disable the advance when you balanced the TBI's?

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Balanced TBs Tonite...

Old 12-20-2013, 08:42 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

between the tbs http://www.crossfireinjection.net/catalog.htm
Old 12-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdp6000
I've never seen an ESC module go. Hopefully that's not it. They are hard to find.

Are you sure the knock sensor is working right?

Curious but did you disable the advance when you balanced the TBI's?

Jim
No, I didn't disable the advance when I balanced the TB's. The instructions I followed didn't call for that. Was I supposed to? The knock sensor could be bad, and it is on my list to replace. I'm not in a hurry to do that, though. I always get wet when I replace knock sensors, lol.

Last edited by Drawmain; 12-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Neat set up but they are out of stock. I might be able to fab up something like that though...

Quick Reply: Balanced TBs Tonite...