C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spring

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:47 PM
81 vette vent
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear spring

I put a new metal rear spring on my car and it sets up like a 4 wheel drive. I put longer bolts on to drop it back down but is there a way to get it to set down with when using the standard bolts. Some say it will set down within a month. I don't know.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Has the suspension settled since you installed the new spring? Drive it around the block a time or two, then take a look at it.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:12 PM
81 vette vent
Instructor

I haven't driven it far. As soon as I put it on I started preping it for paint. So you think it will drop fast until it settles where it should?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The suspension should be at 95% of where it should be after only 50 feet of driving. If not, something is wrong.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:06 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will have to drive a longer period of time then readjust the new bolts to lower the car after you get it back from paint. Then send it in for a rear alignment to get the Chamber right again. You can use simple tools like a 2 foot 90 degree Angle to adjust the rear Chamber because the tires may be riding on the outside or inside of the tire right now.

Before taking it to the alignment shop set the wheels at Zero Chamber or a 90 Degree angle than allow their equipment to adjust to factory specs.

The rear suspension will need a complete alignment to adjust Toe and Chamber Settings after you have replaced the spring and put in new stuff. I am going to guess you may be running a very high negative or positive Chamber and it is raising the car up to high since it is riding on the far reaches of the sides of the tread.

I have been a little research on this since I am getting ready to totally rebuild the rear suspension on my 1977 C3 next year

Below is a link with a picture showing what I am talking about

http://www.townfairtire.com/wheel-al...oe-alignments/

And this PDF will give you some instructions

http://www.ncrsmac.org/garage/AlignmentSchool.pdf

Last edited by MakoJoe; 12-18-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM
81 vette vent
Instructor

Thanks guys. I will drive it a couple of 100 miles after paint before adjusting. I hope it will settle close to where it needs to be. It has dropped about 1 ince just roling it around in the shop this month. It was almost 6 inces above my tire when I first put it on. I want it about 1 1/2 ~2 inces. I can always put longer bolts in and bring it down, I just didn't know how long it would take to work it's way down.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:11 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

As gcusmano stated, the car only needs to move a few feet for the suspension to settle. Positive or negative camber will NOT put several inches of ride height in your suspension . Replacing the steel spring should have brought the car back to standard ride height, unless the spring rate is significantly different than stock. This can indeed be the case when you switch to a monospring - as many of us here can attest to; then indeed, longer bolts may be needed. If your spring is in fact an exact replacement for stock, was it installed correctly? Namely, did you wait to get the weight of the car on the spring before the final tightening sequence on the spring to differential bolts? If these were torqued while the car was on jackstands, you need to back them off and follow proper installation procedures, then verify your ride height. More info on the new spring rate would also be helpful for the guys to help you diagnose your problem.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM
81 vette vent
Instructor

I tightened it in the air, no weight on it. This may be the problem. The car is an 81 and it came with the carbonfiber spring but it was damaged when I bought the car. My local corvette supply house said a standard steel spring one would work fine. I will try to rework bolts with weight on it.
What is standard height? mine may have been setting low to begin with.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 81 vette vent
...What is standard height?...
Truth be told, "standard" height is what you like. The AIM has a page of dimensions for setting ride height if you want to go by the book.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:13 PM
MGB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Spring bolt torque?

Can you tell me what the correct torque is for the spring to differential bolts should be for a '78 L82, 4 spd? Going to replace my spring before long. Thanks

Originally Posted by briankeery
As gcusmano stated, the car only needs to move a few feet for the suspension to settle. Positive or negative camber will NOT put several inches of ride height in your suspension . Replacing the steel spring should have brought the car back to standard ride height, unless the spring rate is significantly different than stock. This can indeed be the case when you switch to a monospring - as many of us here can attest to; then indeed, longer bolts may be needed. If your spring is in fact an exact replacement for stock, was it installed correctly? Namely, did you wait to get the weight of the car on the spring before the final tightening sequence on the spring to differential bolts? If these were torqued while the car was on jackstands, you need to back them off and follow proper installation procedures, then verify your ride height. More info on the new spring rate would also be helpful for the guys to help you diagnose your problem.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This was taken from my '79 shop manual, so I would assume the torque ratings will apply for your '78 also. Sorry about the clarity, but it says 33 ft-lbs, hope that helps.

Last edited by briankeery; 01-06-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM
MGB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Got it. Thanks

Originally Posted by briankeery
This was taken from my '79 shop manual, so I would assume the torque ratings will apply for your '78 also. Sorry about the clarity, but it says 33 ft-lbs, hope that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To rear spring

Quick Reply: rear spring