C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any cruise controll guru's here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 AM
beautimus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any cruise controll guru's here?

My 74 base coupe came without cruise control, and I was thinking of adding it to the car. does anyone here know of a good source of info to learn how to cobble an original type one together for this car and maybe a list of parts and stuff. I really don't want to stick an aftermarket setup on here and have it look out of place. so any info to get me started would be appreciated. thanks, Tony
Old 12-11-2013, 01:13 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 385 Likes on 313 Posts

Probably the biggest issue would be the wiring. Buying the Parts is no big deal. By studying the wiring schematics should give You a head start. The 81-82 Cruise Controls had the Resume Feature. I switched out the Turn Signal Stalk on my 80 for an 81 and it gave me the Resume Feature, no wiring required. Soon after installing the Turbo Motor I removed most of the Cruise Control parts however, I had an issue with using the Resume Switch and having the Tires break loose at 70 MPH.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Shouldn't be all that difficult. Buy the parts, bolt them on, and hook them up. General Motors used to sell a kit to do exactly this. I put one on a '79 Caprice back in the 80's. Spend a little time with the parts catalogs and the AIM and you'll figure out what you need.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The '74 cars didn't offer cruise control in them. It wasn't until '77 that they were available, I believe. But, you could gather up the stock parts needed to make it similar to what GM was doing in their other cars. It could get expensive and troublesome to find all the parts for doing that.

Or you can spend about $200 and buy a Rostra aftermarket kit [for a "non VSS" equipped car] and install a more-modern electronic cruise control system. I put one in my '71 and it works great. You just have to figure out where you want to put the little control panel. I installed it on the side of the trans tunnel, just in front of where my knee hits that panel (didn't want to kick it on and off by accident). I have found a turn signal lever with the switch in it that can replace that panel...but haven't installed it yet.

If you buy the Rostra unit, I would suggest mounting the control head to the front of the metal stone guard mounted under the driver's firewall area. This is an easy area to get to and to run wires, vacuum line, and actuator cable from. It also keeps clutter out of the engine bay. You can also easily remove that unit just by removing the 3 nuts on that stone guard (haven't needed to remove it yet, though). The required factory wiring can be accessed just under the dash and at the trans tunnel, then fed through the small hole in the trans tunnel hump to that control head.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Go with the modern kit as it will be easier to install and a lot more reliable. The GM ones eventually fail once the spinning disk hits the housing.

Get notified of new replies

To Any cruise controll guru's here?

Quick Reply: Any cruise controll guru's here?