C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of pulling engine, too many leaky freeze plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:08 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking of pulling engine, too many leaky freeze plugs

I know a lot of guys here can do it in <90 minutes blindfolded...I'm not one of them (yet!). I don't mind getting dirty and learning lots along the way. Is it doable for a rookie in a weekend?

Searching alot of old threads gives insight to bits-n-pieces, but it would be nice to have one go-to link with steps and gotchas.
I couldn't find any TechTips for it.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:21 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 180 Posts

this was sent to me a month ago when i asked a similar question
Originally Posted by scorpion18z
Adjust the following checklist to your specific vehicle:

REMOVAL
 Disconnect battery cables at battery.
 Drain cooling system.
 Remove air cleaner.
 Remove all accessory drive belts.
 Remove fan and water pump pulley.
 Disconnect upper and lower radiator hoses at engine.
 Disconnect heater hoses at engine.
 If equipped with automatic transmission, disconnect cooler lines at radiator.
 Remove radiator and shroud.
 Disconnect accelerator linkage and detent linkage, if so equipped, from carburetor.
 If A/C equipped, remove compressor from engine and lay aside. Do not disconnect lines from compressor.
 If power steering equipped, remove pump from engine and lay aside.
 Remove engine wiring harness from engine.
 Disconnect fuel line at fuel pump.
 Disconnect all vacuum lines from intake manifold.
 Raise vehicle.
 Drain crankcase.
 Disconnect exhaust pipe from exhaust manifold flanges.
 "K" models with automatic transmission, remove strut rods at motor mounts.
 Remove flywheel or converter splash shield, as applicable.
 Disconnect wiring along right pan rail.
 Disconnect wiring at starter and remove starter.
 Disconnect wiring for gas gauge.
 If equipped with automatic transmission, remove converter to flex plate attaching bolts.
 Support transmission.
 Remove bell housing to engine retaining bolts.
 Remove lower engine mount bracket to frame bolts.
 Lower vehicle.
 Remove vehicle hood.
 Attach engine lifting device.
 Remove engine.

INSTALLATION

 Place engine in vehicle.
 Raise vehicle.
 Install engine mount bracket to frame bolts.
 Install bell housing to engine retaining bolts. Remove transmission support.
 If equipped with automatic transmission, install converter to flex plate attaching bolts.
 Install flywheel or converter splash shield, as applicable.
 Connect wiring for gas gauge.
 Install starter. Connect wiring.
 Install engine wiring harness along right pan rail.
 Connect exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold flanges.
 Lower vehicle.
 Connect all vacuum lines to intake manifold.
 Connect fuel line at fuel pump.
 Install engine wiring harness to engine.
 If power steering equipped, install pump on engine.
 If A/C equipped, install compressor on engine.
 Connect accelerator linkage and detent linkage, if so equipped, to carburetor.
 Install radiator.
 If equipped with automatic transmission, connect cooler lines to radiator.
 Connect heater hoses to engine.
 Connect radiator hoses to engine.
 Install water pump pulley and fan to water pump.
 Install accessory drive belts. Adjust to specifications.
 Fill cooling system.
 Fill crankcase.
 Connect battery cables and start engine. Check timing and carburetor adjustment and adjust if necessary.
 Install air cleaner and vehicle hood.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:52 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnybrewmeister
Is it doable for a rookie in a weekend?
Do you need the car for work on Monday? Yes, it is possible to remove an engine tap out some freeze plugs and reinstall everything in 48 hours. You are talking about a major undertaking though and I would not recommend putting that type of time constraint on yourself.

All it takes is one bolt to break off or get stripped and you are into a side project that may eat up precious time. There are whole threads on here regarding snapped bolt heads. You just don't know what you will encounter.

You don't want to be tired or stressed during the reinstallation. If you have the luxury of time, I would allow more. Perhaps one weekend R&R the motor and freeze plugs and one weekend to reinstall. A helper would be nice to have.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 PM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by riverracer au
this was sent to me a month ago when i asked a similar question
Thanks for the list. Glad to see I'm not the only one wondering. I found a cherry picker I can borrow, so now I'm deciding I'm going to go for it. If nothing else (and successful, of course) it will be cool to be able to brag about DIY engine R/R.

Kinda surprising to see "remove hood" 3rd from last on this list. I was gonna do that first, even though I've seen alot of post from people that leave it in place.

Why drain the oil? Doesn't seem required to me.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by johnt365
Do you need the car for work on Monday? Yes, it is possible to remove an engine tap out some freeze plugs and reinstall everything in 48 hours. You are talking about a major undertaking though and I would not recommend putting that type of time constraint on yourself.

All it takes is one bolt to break off or get stripped and you are into a side project that may eat up precious time. There are whole threads on here regarding snapped bolt heads. You just don't know what you will encounter.

You don't want to be tired or stressed during the reinstallation. If you have the luxury of time, I would allow more. Perhaps one weekend R&R the motor and freeze plugs and one weekend to reinstall. A helper would be nice to have.
Thanks Johnt365. I do have the luxury of time. I was mainly trying to find the magnitude of the job. 2 weekends like you describe is my plan at this point. I figure if the job is doable in 2 days (stressed), then I can probably manage in 2 weeks. Broken/stripped bolts aside, that is.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:05 PM
brantster581
Cruising

Well I just finished reinstalling my engine last night. My original intention was to rebuild the transmission because it was slipping really bad but the man upstairs had another plan. I discovered a cracked head and 3 cylinders full of water so i decided to pull it all and when my parents left for choir practice one night i started working and an hour later when they got home i had it out and i had the whole engine apart all the way down to the bare block. I ended up selling the bad transmission and engine for 450 and got a good block for free out of my cousins 77 vette and at the swap meet i bought a brand new carb, fresh transmission, edlebrock aluminum intake and everything else i needed for under 200 bucks. last night i finished reinstalling the engine and trans now i just gotta finish hooking everything up and fire it up. this was my first time pulling an engine or building one and even though it took me almost 2 months i did it all by myself and the biggest reason it took so long was not having money or time but i built it into a 383 stroker bored 60 over and had it running in less than 2 months by myself as a rookie so 2 weekends for freeze plugs shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 PM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by brantster581
... an hour later when they got home i had it out and i had the whole engine apart all the way down to the bare block....
I don't think you fit in the rookie category, or at least not any more.
Good job on getting it back together, keep us posted on how it runs.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:10 PM
brantster581
Cruising

Originally Posted by johnnybrewmeister

I don't think you fit in the rookie category, or at least not any more.
Good job on getting it back together, keep us posted on how it runs.
Maybe not rookie but it was my first engine pull after watching a couple YouTube videos of people doing it with cherry pickers and load levelers and wondering how I'm supposed to do it with just an a frame lift and a chain hoist. I gotta make another parts run after school tomorrow and I'm hoping to fire it up tomorrow night but with any realistic luck I'll fire it in about 2 weeks.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The guy working on mine cherry picker and was afraid he was going to have enough length as to not bugger up the front end....Check on that before you start. He used a huge A Frame he hauled up to his shop from his real job.

Karsten
Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 PM
brantster581
Cruising

Originally Posted by Karsten
The guy working on mine cherry picker and was afraid he was going to have enough length as to not bugger up the front end....Check on that before you start. He used a huge A Frame he hauled up to his shop from his real job.

Karsten
I had one friend that offered me his cherry picker but it was about a foot too short. I asked another friend and he had this a frame he built himself for a 85 camaro and it sat about 10 years and we had to pull it out of the woods but it worked out alright. I made sure to have a small wheeled cart down there that the bottom of my trans landed on so I just rolled it back and put my jack under the trans so I could put my ceossmember in.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Karsten
...The guy working on mine cherry picker and was afraid he was going to have enough length as to not bugger up the front end...
Originally Posted by brantster581
...I had one friend that offered me his cherry picker but it was about a foot too short...
Most of the cherry pickers are too short to pull from over the nose. They will work without too much problems if you pull from the side.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Most of the cherry pickers are too short to pull from over the nose. They will work without too much problems if you pull from the side.

I did it!
I got my engine pulled tonite.
My pics look alot like Karstens, but green instead of red.
The cherry picker I borrowed was *just* big enough for a side-pull.
I couldn't have done it without the collective-wisdom of the forum...great wealth of info - thanks everybody.

Get notified of new replies

To thinking of pulling engine, too many leaky freeze plugs

Quick Reply: thinking of pulling engine, too many leaky freeze plugs