C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill

Old 07-11-2002, 03:42 AM
V8yunkie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (Tron79)

My opinion:

If the leak is not too bad (i.e. you will have to add up gear oil every 2 months) I would not care too much about it. I have hardly ever seen an old Vette with a perfectly clean diff. The crud just gathers down there over the years - that might lead one to think there is a serious leak. But all it is is the total of a couple of years.

On my old diff there was some crud, too. But fluid loss was hardly recognizable (as checking through the side plug confirmed). Now I have installed (also an 25 year old, never rebuilt unit) a 3,55 from a friend - he was so nice as to clean and paint it. And wouldn't you know, after three months there is hardly a drop of oil anywhere - after another 2 years, I will probably see the first drops.

So if there is no other problem with the unit, I would just clean it. Or even have it rebuilt (bearings, clutch-plates) without new yokes and cleaned.
However, if you have it rebuild, do yourself a favor and ask for the Big-Block-yokes, because they are much better to work on as they come with caps and boldt to hold the half-shafts (rather then these stupid strap-bolts with nuts - they take ours to install).

Regards, Thomas
Old 07-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Tron79
Intermediate

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (V8yunkie)

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. My only concern is that the end of the little u-strap bolts (holding the inner u-joint to the half-shaft) is just nicking a small piece of metal protruding from the side of the differential. So, I pull up to, or away from, a STOP sign and give everyone a good "cluncking" sound. It's fairly embarassing, but it can wait till winter.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:59 PM
tictocdok
Racer

Hey Tron,
I had a similar problem... I tightened the little Ubolts lopsided and one end of the bolt would hit the tit on the differential, after a few turns the yoke popped out, looks like the inner C clip popped off from the wedge-force of the ubolt whacking the bulge on the differential.
might be an idea to get under there and center the ubolt before it causes bigger problems.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:44 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (tictocdok)

I visited the GM dealership and picked up some Positraction Additive. I talked to a mechanic there about the problem and he didn't think that the differential was the problem because he said that I would hear it all the time, and not just when I'm accelerating, if it was the differential.

What do the more experienced think of this?
Old 07-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (VolVette)

Again, I have to disagree. My chatter only happened at low speed in both cars, and in the case of the 99, only at low speed when I turned right.

Again, some good dinosaur gear oil and posi additive would be a real easy place to start :)

Sorry to hammer the same point -- it's just that I spend a year with this problem on my 99, and the gear oil changed fixed the problem.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:48 PM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (VolVette)

Stephen, I had the same problem that you are talking about. Mine started having the exact same symptons that you described when I was on the skyline drive last year. It turned out to be the differential fluid. I went to the dealer and bought the fluid and additive and changed it myself and it cured the problem. I was really worried that it was the differential itself so I did a post on here and the good people came through. The fluid change is definately the cheap route to go. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:38 AM
Tron79
Intermediate

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (Ron 75 L48)

Well, I bought the additive from the dealer yesterday and put it in today. After about 100 miles, I don't seem to hear much difference. Do you think it's imperative to drain all of the old fluid and additive, then refill to potentially fix the grinding problem? I didn't drain the old fluid prior to adding the additive. I did, however, check the fluid level before adding the additive and it was fine. Does it maybe take a while before the new juice corrects the problem??

:confused:
Old 07-21-2002, 03:28 AM
StingRayPonyGirl
Instructor

I'm curious about that myself. I replaced the gear oil and additive tonight and so far no difference, but I only test drove it about five miles. My noise happens after things warm up and upon slowing down to stop. Then it's an intermittent clunkclunkclunk....almost like a "dead spot" on something. I can't see anything rubbing, but tomorrow I'll check out some of the things mentioned here.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:10 PM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (StingRayPonyGirl)

I'm curious about that myself. I replaced the gear oil and additive tonight and so far no difference, but I only test drove it about five miles. My noise happens after things warm up and upon slowing down to stop. Then it's an intermittent clunkclunkclunk....almost like a "dead spot" on something. I can't see anything rubbing, but tomorrow I'll check out some of the things mentioned here.
I would drain the old fluid completely and start fresh. Mine was doing the same as yours where the grinding noise wouldn't start until everything was warm and I had driven it for awhile. After I changed the differential fluid and put in the additive I didn't have anymore problems.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:40 AM
Tron79
Intermediate

Hmmm... Thanks Ron. I guess I'll give draining it a shot. How did you manage to get all of the old fluid out? I barely had enough space to squeeze the contents of the little additive bottle into the filler hole. Did you use some kind of specialized siphon or evacuating tube?

Old 07-22-2002, 07:39 AM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Marc, what I used was a suction tool that looks like a caulking gun with a long tube attached to it. I jacked one side of the rear end up used the suction tool then I jacked up the other side and did the same thing. I used the same tool (after I cleaned it up real good) to put the new fluid in. Hope this helps.

Ron
Old 07-22-2002, 08:48 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (JeffReed)

As I was reading this post I was also thinking of the tunnel like JeffReed. Mine would grind on the passengers side of the tunnel just behind the slip yoke in the transmission. I solved it by carefully grinding the fiberglass in this area giving a little extra clearance that it was trying to do itself. I also noticed it was alot worse when i had a passenger.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:33 PM
Tron79
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip. I can probably put something together like what you've described. I just didn't want to build something if there was a tool already made to do it. I'll give it a try.

Old 07-24-2002, 01:06 AM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill (JMV)

Did you check the fluid levels in rear axle and transmission? May not hurt to drain and change. :yesnod:
Yep. I'm having the same problem, and it's ONLY from a dead stop or a very slow roll then it goes away. I'm suspecting the rear end needs lube.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding Sound when Accelerating from Standstill