C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AmericanRacingHeaders adds an "LS SWAP" header for the C3 owners................PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

NICE! I think AR does some of the best header building in the industry. Only one thing on my list to Santa this year. So now it looks like your 71 will be hitting the road in 2014 hopefully same for my 72 LT-1 Good luck with your build Gordonm
Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Good picture. Here is my z-bar guess

It might be feasible but is too close to call. Also need to know how close #3 is to the block.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ignatz
Good picture. Here is my z-bar guess

It might be feasible but is too close to call. Also need to know how close #3 is to the block.
That is what hydraulic throwout bearings are mdae for, I'm not a big fan of them but, they have worked trouble free for many thousands of miles in my C5/C6 Z06 Vettes. I think I'm going to make an external "pull" type slave cylinder that will fasten to my Quick Time bellhousing (steel) I'm sure Dave Herlinger could do the same for you, I will bring my by Daves shop when I get it done, far easier/quicker to build hydraulic clutch system than to build a nice set of stainless headers! My LS3 isn't a "crate motor" it has better connecting rods, Mahle pistons, bigger cam, I need headers for proper performance, I'm shooting for 480RWHP or over 500HP at the crank even the LS7 manifolds probably wont do the job for me.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:16 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
That is what hydraulic throwout bearings are mdae for, I'm not a big fan of them but, they have worked trouble free for many thousands of miles in my C5/C6 Z06 Vettes. I think I'm going to make an external "pull" type slave cylinder that will fasten to my Quick Time bellhousing (steel) I'm sure Dave Herlinger could do the same for you, I will bring my by Daves shop when I get it done, far easier/quicker to build hydraulic clutch system than to build a nice set of stainless headers! My LS3 isn't a "crate motor" it has better connecting rods, Mahle pistons, bigger cam, I need headers for proper performance, I'm shooting for 480RWHP or over 500HP at the crank even the LS7 manifolds probably wont do the job for me.
Solid: I do know that is a way out, it is just more creeping cost and re-engineering. I think a little bit of tweaking the design by ARH could open up their market for those of us that kept the drivetrain.

That said, let me know when you are going to be by Dave's, I will PM you my contact info.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Steve only concern I will have is clearance to Borgeson type aftermarket steering box. The Borgeson conversion is far more popular than rack&pinion conversion. This Delphi 600 series steering box which is about 1/2" further towards the motor than OEM gearbox. Other wish would be to clear Z06/ZR1 style water to oil cooler which side mounts by oil filter. I am also looking at your GEN1 headers for the Vette and they seem to have a more pronounced merge collector on them is it an optical illusion. I'm sure the feedback from the C5/6 community has given you guys the best route to take in collector design so I trust you guys on your design here. Looks like your will have a great product line for the C2/3 generation of Vettes! Thanks for your efforts, I intend to place my order soon
Old 12-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH
Let's get it done.
Potential issues:
Mounts
Steering racks
Z bar vs hyd clutch

I'm still watching this thread.

The new Viper, Raptors, GT500, LS swap Gbody are now finished, we have a Big Tire Outlaw in the que next.

Where's the locals??
Do we need a car up there? I'm not thrilled at trailering mine through the city and Long Island on an open trailer and now that we have snow salt and all kinds of road crap out there the possibility is less. I will drive back and forth with the headers and trial anything you guys want to do. I can make my schedule flexible enough to do this. Just let me know what we need to do. I'd love to come back up and talk with you guys again

SolidLT1 I don't think the Borgeson will be a problem. There is ample clearance on the drivers side tube around the shaft that goes down the the rack on mine. This was a no go at all with the Melrose headers. I had to weld in a big bend but on the AR headers it is already there.

Last edited by Gordonm; 12-10-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

In 2-3 months (or hopefully less time) I'll order a set to confirm the Borgeson if all still seems to be going well and Gordon is happy with ground clearances.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:44 AM
greg75vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! Wish I was further along in my swap. You guys are 20 minutes from me.

I'll be watching this thread closely.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by greg75vette
Damn! Wish I was further along in my swap. You guys are 20 minutes from me.

I'll be watching this thread closely.

DEER PARK, NEW YORK

stop by
Old 12-23-2013, 12:26 AM
1978LScorvette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DEER PARK, NEW YORK

stop by
Ok, been following swaps for a while and just started mine.Have a78 and have a 05 gto motor w/6speed w/hydrualic throughout. Im going with a rack. Made my own motor mount plates and in the process of setting up the tranny cross member. Its a frame off project and have the front and rear suspension off. Im in massapequa and if you need pics and a ginny pig , Id be happy to help everyone out. Id have to see if I could borrow a friends trailer though.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM
SteveDoten@ARH

1978, why not stop by and grab a set and see how they are?

Call the shop, we would prefer the car, but to get this rolling we need to talk bro.

Steve
Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 PM
1978LScorvette
Intermediate

1978, why not stop by and grab a set and see how they are?

Call the shop, we would prefer the car, but to get this rolling we need to talk bro.

Steve
I could not get in touch with my friend that has a trailer. I will try again on thurs. He is away with the holidays here. I will give you a call on thurs in the AM and tell you what I got and hopefully we can proceed, possibly as soon as thurs . Like most people doing this swap, its been a gamble with what other people have experienced and can get very costly very fast . Hopefully, we can solve this problem and have performance at any LS size to boot. Happy Holidays
Old 12-26-2013, 05:48 PM
SteveDoten@ARH

Originally Posted by 1978LScorvette
I could not get in touch with my friend that has a trailer. I will try again on thurs. He is away with the holidays here. I will give you a call on thurs in the AM and tell you what I got and hopefully we can proceed, possibly as soon as thurs . Like most people doing this swap, its been a gamble with what other people have experienced and can get very costly very fast . Hopefully, we can solve this problem and have performance at any LS size to boot. Happy Holidays
Pat, we will see you Friday(TM).

Gordon will be here again next week.

We will be going off the DirtyDingo "slider" C3 LS swap mounts
Old 12-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Pat, we will see you Friday(TM).

Gordon will be here again next week.

We will be going off the DirtyDingo "slider" C3 LS swap mounts
Looking to come up Monday in the morning.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Any plan on doing a version of these for side pipes?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM
SteveDoten@ARH

Originally Posted by 1978LScorvette
Ok, been following swaps for a while and just started mine.Have a78 and have a 05 gto motor w/6speed w/hydrualic throughout. Im going with a rack. Made my own motor mount plates and in the process of setting up the tranny cross member. Its a frame off project and have the front and rear suspension off. Im in massapequa and if you need pics and a ginny pig , Id be happy to help everyone out. Id have to see if I could borrow a friends trailer though.
Pat, Thanks for stopping by last week at our manufacturing facility here on Long Island.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 AM
1978LScorvette
Intermediate

Pat, Thanks for stopping by last week at our manufacturing facility here on Long Island.
Thanks for the tour Steve. My son and friend have been talking about how much goes into making headers.It was a learning experience for them. Phil is on his game and willing to proceed in any direction to make things correct which we all can appreciate. You have a great shop. I talked briefly with Gordon and we seem to have parallel builds though he is much further along with his.Nice guy . Monday we are going to try to finish our convo and have to see if the headers will fit using my mounts as well with factory ac box and etc. I believe his motor is mounted in the same position. Thanks for your time as well. I am going to try to put some time into making the tranny cross member so I can b ready for when you make a second set. Let me know. Thanks again. Pat

Get notified of new replies

To AmericanRacingHeaders adds an "LS SWAP" header for the C3 owners................PICS

Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I need new headers too for my 71. Just long tube for a SBC.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM
SteveDoten@ARH

Eagle, give us a call.

Gordon stopped by today to go over the mods needed, very small tweak on one of the primaries.

The BIG factors:
1. Motor mounts
2. Steering Rack used
3. Z bar or hyd. clutch???
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in once I get the thumbs up from Gordon.

Mine is an LS3 480 hp hot cam'd crate motor, stock position motor mounts, hydraulic clutch, and Flaming River rack.

Quick Reply: AmericanRacingHeaders adds an "LS SWAP" header for the C3 owners................PICS