C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

breaks? winter lay up

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM
82 beerhunter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaks? winter lay up

ok my busy season has been started and the 82 is going to sit for the winter.being this is my first go around with a vette i want no misshaps.i have a question on storage with the break calipers.mine are the origional calipers remaned by prev. owner (a vette enthusiast) i have no idea if they are sleeved or just redone and have lost contact with the p/o.the question is i will be working on the car not moving or driving it should i pull the wheels(it will be on stands any way) and retract or compress all the caliper pistons for storage or let it be??? this car stopps straighter an better than most any thing ive driven in years. one heck of a break rebuild and i dont want to have to add it to my list of things to re repair ! any thoughts would be great. by the way happy holidays and all that stuff. thanks Jim
Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I don't see any reason to do anything with them, they'll be fine.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

IF it's true that lip seals in the calipers deform from the weight of the pistons when not used for extended periods, and IF your car has lip,seals in the calipers, THEN it wouldn't hurt to sit in the car and step on the brakes hard once a month during the down time.
Ya see, the o-ring crowd say the lip seals fail under those conditions when the brakes aren't used.
You're probably fine if you can't pressurize the brakes over the winter, but if you can, why not do it and not worry about brake seal leakage.

Pete
Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take it out for a spin whenever there is a nice day out during the winter. I am in West Virginia and that's what I do. Yes we do have electricity in WV.

Get notified of new replies

To breaks? winter lay up

Quick Reply: breaks? winter lay up