C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny cooler lines on TH350

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny cooler lines on TH350

Putting my 81 back together and cant find the lines/fittings to the cooler on the radiator. Has anyone ever fabbed their own? If so, what size are they. How did you build them? I think AN fittings would work. How did you connect to the stock hard line? Most I've seen pics of show that they leak when using rubber line and standard hose clamps.

Thx
Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The fittings are 5/16 inverted flare. AN fittings will leak at the radiator connection. The original tubes in the radiator had rolled flare ends so the hose would not slip off under pressure. Today, you can get 5/16 hose that is identified as "Trans Cooler". While it won't last forever, it is made to withstand the heat, pressure, and the type of oil. IIRC, the lower tube is a short straight section and the upper one is curved and points down. They connect to a short rubber section, then again to the hard lines that run back thru the right lower control arm to the engine and back to the trans.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by nspctr01
I can't find the lines/fittings to the cooler on the radiator. Has anyone ever fabbed their own? If so, what size are they. How did you build them? I think AN fittings would work. How did you connect to the stock hard line? Most I've seen pics of show that they leak when using rubber line and standard hose clamps.
No need to make this more difficult than it is...

Complete reproduction line sets with the fittings are available from all of the major Vette part suppliers. Just order them, wait 2 days for delivery, and install the right stuff.

If you really want to fab your own, the fittings are standard inverted flares, available at any NAPA store.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 11-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:27 AM
nspctr01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fear is that the hose will leak using standard hose clamps. I saw where you can pick up the fittings etc for 30 bux from most vendors but like I mentioned earlier, most of the ones I've seen leak at the clamp. Not sure if that is mostly due to age, wrong clamp or combination of both. I'd like to not do it over, especially while the front end is apart and access is fairly easy.

Thx
Kevin
Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...My fear is that the hose will leak using standard hose clamps...
I have two cars with AT; standard clamps on each. No leaks on either.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

My fear is that the hose will leak using standard hose clamps. I saw where you can pick up the fittings etc for 30 bux from most vendors but like I mentioned earlier, most of the ones I've seen leak at the clamp.
The AT cooling lines don't use standard hose clamps. They use the special hydraulic hose clamps like the ones on the power steering suction line. The factory has been using these for decades, and they don't leak.

Lars
Old 11-16-2013, 11:16 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Lars knows what he is talking about. Don't mess around with this. It is a nasty job to try and fix after you get everything back together.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:00 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm just finishing a non-Corvette project using the adapters to go to AN lines. I'll be using flex lines to the chassis and connecting to hardlines there.

It's an expen$ive way to do it with no real benefits.

Get notified of new replies

To tranny cooler lines on TH350

Quick Reply: tranny cooler lines on TH350