C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Corvette Shifting Problem with Vacuum Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 02:58 AM
RuffleScruff
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Corvette Shifting Problem with Vacuum Hoses

Hi all,

Lately I've been having problems with my Corvette shifting properly. First off, I cannot get my car to drop into reverse unless the engine has fully warmed up. Secondly, my car does not want to shift into 3rd gear unless I really get on the gas and when I let off the accelerator (to maintain a proper city speed limit) it drops into neutral or downshifts into 2nd gear.

I recently had the transmission rebuilt, so I highly doubt anything within the transmission is the issue. After a little research, and consulting my mechanic (I cannot go see him because I am away at college) I think I've narrowed the problem down to something within the vacuum hoses. Which vacuum hoses should I check to resolve this issue? Or are there any other components I should check? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Jig A Low
Pro

there is one hose that runs down to the vacuum modulator on the tranny, it's on the passanger side all the way on the very back of the tranny, it should be hooked up to MANIFOLD vacuum. there is also a TV cable that attaches to the carb, if that is not hooked up and adjusted correctly, you will burn the tranny up in no time. do a google search for how to adjust the cable, it's easy to do.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:56 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

That tranny is junk , it needs to be pulled .. Reverse is not a vacuum issue . and a delayed engagement until it warms up is an internal issue
Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,424 Likes on 2,867 Posts

If you have the knowledge, buy a $20 transmission "direct pressure" gauge ( a gauge that uses a high-pressure nylon tube to actuate it).

Install the gauge temporarily near the console area where you can easily read it while parked or driving. There are charts that show what the gauge should read in PARK/REVERSE/DRIVE/ETC.

Write down the readings call the guys at www.TransmissionCenter.net (I hope it's OK to post the site)

Tell them what the trans is doing/not doing

There is a "ton" of free info/how-to's/etc on the site.

I did a "$1,200 trans overhaul" with $60 worth of their parts and a $30 700R4 specific transmission rebuild manual!

I told the guys my skill level and the exact problems/pressure readings.....

They sold me the individual parts that they recommended.....

I followed the manual to install the parts with the trans still in the car..........

PROBLEMS SOLVED!

It's worth a try...Hopefully your problem is low-cost also..other members know of dependable trans repair shops also.

Last edited by doorgunner; 11-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by RuffleScruff
...I recently had the transmission rebuilt...
Did you have these problems before the tranny was rebuilt?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:12 PM
papapete
Intermediate

Is there the same vacuum hose on an 81? I have some what of the same issue on my 81
Old 11-15-2013, 01:59 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Definitely internal problems. It should engage reverse even if the kick down cable and the vacuum lines aren't hooked up! If this was the only problem it had, I would still tell you it needs to be pulled and gone through properly. To me it sounds like the rebuild is the issue.

The 80 has a 350C that is just a 350 with a lock up clutch. There is nothing really special to setting this tranny up in the car. As stated, vacuum from manifold to the modulator. There should be one electrical connection to the tranny for the lock up clutch. It comes from a vacuum switch on the firewall. It also has a switch on the brake pedal feeding this same wire. The vacuum switch on the firewall also needs manifold vacuum to it. The kick down cable is setup just like any other Turbo 350, fully extended with the throttle wide open.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:11 PM
rjoyal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v2racing
Definitely internal problems. It should engage reverse even if the kick down cable and the vacuum lines aren't hooked up! If this was the only problem it had, I would still tell you it needs to be pulled and gone through properly. To me it sounds like the rebuild is the issue.

The 80 has a 350C that is just a 350 with a lock up clutch. There is nothing really special to setting this tranny up in the car. As stated, vacuum from manifold to the modulator. There should be one electrical connection to the tranny for the lock up clutch. It comes from a vacuum switch on the firewall. It also has a switch on the brake pedal feeding this same wire. The vacuum switch on the firewall also needs manifold vacuum to it. The kick down cable is setup just like any other Turbo 350, fully extended with the throttle wide open.
Seconded.
I have a TH350 in my dirt track Camaro, and we don't bother hooking up the kickdown or the vacuum modulator because it's not needed for racing purposes. If it's not a TH350 (like say a 4 speed retrofit) disregard this - the 700R4 needs it's stuff hooked up.

A disconnected vacuum modulator = the trans thinking you're at full throttle and not upshifting until it hits it's "redline" - you can drive all day long at 4900rpm and it won't shift out of first and then the second you hit 5000rpm it bangs 'er into second.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RuffleScruff
I recently had the transmission rebuilt, so I highly doubt anything within the transmission is the issue.
It's funny how differently people look at things. For instance, the phrase "I recently had the transmission rebuilt," makes me think the complete opposite of what the OP thinks. As in "Awww, man! I just had the transmission rebuilt, and now it's giving me problems! They must have screwed something up in there!"

Scott
Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 571 Posts

If you haven't changed anything since the rebuild, it might be time to take it back to them and ask them to fix a problem that didn't exist before they FIXED things. Politley, of course.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:42 PM
SGAL1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottyp99
It's funny how differently people look at things. For instance, the phrase "I recently had the transmission rebuilt," makes me think the complete opposite of what the OP thinks. As in "Awww, man! I just had the transmission rebuilt, and now it's giving me problems! They must have screwed something up in there!"

Scott
Old 11-16-2013, 06:55 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Weird how people post , we reply to help and you never here from them again ...

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Corvette Shifting Problem with Vacuum Hoses

Quick Reply: 1980 Corvette Shifting Problem with Vacuum Hoses