C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance

Old 11-10-2013, 12:27 AM
TO_Vette
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Performance

Have an 81 C3 from California with all the California smog equipment and rules I have to live with. I don’t have a lot of options with the engine to help with performance. I’m trying to see if replacing the distributor with a hi-performance model is worth it.

Will it make a difference?

What other options do I have to help with performance and still live in California?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 01:32 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

You can save some money and buy a curve kit for about $20 and make your old distributor run just as well. There's a timing sticky that goes more in-depth on the how to's.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 AM
spikebot 81
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You wont be able to do anything with the stock distr. other than change the timing. There is no vacuum advance or mechanical advance. This is all controled by the fred flinstone computer system. Same with the carb. if it is stock. When I got my 81 it was a smog legal Oregon car and really wouldnt get out of its own way. The best hp mod you can do is modify the exhaust. The stock exhaust manifolds are not to bad but the stock cat converter and mufflers are very restrictive. Both exhaust banks go to one 2 1/2" pipe, to the cat and split to dual mufflers. True duals all the way back would be the best but not sure if the smog ***** will allow that. Best option I think would get a high flow cat converter and better mufflers. You also can bump the timing up from stock 8 deg to about 12 to 14 deg which will make a big difference. Set the timing back to stock specs when you have the car sniffed. Ive read alot of things you can do to make these cars run better and still pass smog but you live in the most restricted state in the nation so lots of research will be needed befor you do any modifications. Good luck
Old 11-10-2013, 10:42 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

81 runs an ECM and I'm pretty sure Hypertec sells the prom for it that will control the advance cure.
I would say the biggest bang for the buck would be aluminum heads.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:31 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I did not know that about the 81
Old 11-10-2013, 02:06 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Make sure what ever you swap it has a CARB number.

You can replace the mufflers but can't touch the cat. How close to the MAX numbers are you after the lowed the amount a few years go?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

3.73 rear gear would make a big difference with a smog engine.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Find someone that knows the 81 CCC system and get them to setup the carb. Porbably never be a tire smoking screamer, but a careful set of adjustments to the carb along with a less restrictive exhaust and it will run very nicely.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 AM
TO_Vette
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all for your feedback. Lots to think about.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by TimAT
Find someone that knows the 81 CCC system and get them to setup the carb. Porbably never be a tire smoking screamer, but a careful set of adjustments to the carb along with a less restrictive exhaust and it will run very nicely.
Just be sure to check everything for CARB certification
Old 11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Here is were you can check.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have limited choices for 'performance' from a small block C3 in California:

1. Leave it 'as is', tune it per the factory manual, and meet emissions standards; it is what it is.

2. Transfer license to another county where the emissions requirements are less stringent...then modify the engine per regulations;

3. Install "CA approved, emissions standard capable heads, cam, headers, and CATS on your car and keep that paperwork with you"; car will perform better and will still pass emissions tests/laws; [Note: you want to research this approach with your local BMV to be sure you can comply with local requirements.] This one will cost you some money.

4. Sell your present C3 and find another one with better performance which is still capable of passing CA emissions rules. [Note: C3's built up thru 1973 were not built with CATS and can have timing/carb adjusted for either "good performance" or "good emissions". You can 'have your cake and eat it, too.'
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

One thought to throw out there as a long shot is the GMPP E-Rod packages - I believe these are CARB-compliant as they represent a 100% retrofit. They are certainly Not Cheap and definitely not Bolt On...but they are interesting. I haven't touched any of this stuff, so I can't offer any personal experience.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...n-systems.html

Get notified of new replies

To Performance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance