C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing D/S Outer door handle

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM
ketvette77
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing D/S Outer door handle

So, my door handle on my 77 'Vette has stopped opening the door.
I removed the door panel, and everything else possible.
There are 2 nuts inside the door holding the handle in place.
I was able to remove the right side nut, but the left nut is tucked away in the back left (rear) corner of the door.
I can get an open end wrench on it but there is no room to swing the wrench to remove the nut.
Anybody having any experience/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thnx
Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You have to use a shorter wrench....an or a Snap-On off-set wrench...and use both. I have special wrenches just for that nut. It is easier with a universal/swivel 1/4" drive socket...but the latch has to be out.

DUB
Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 PM
archer417
Advanced

Not wanting to hijack the thread but while on the subject of door handles... Is there a spring that can be replaced that will fix the issue if the outside door handle doesn't come all the way back up after opening the door? Or does the handle have to be replaced?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by archer417
Not wanting to hijack the thread but while on the subject of door handles... Is there a spring that can be replaced that will fix the issue if the outside door handle doesn't come all the way back up after opening the door? Or does the handle have to be replaced?
yes. They are about 8 or 9 dollars each. I know zip has them.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

A $2.00 spring is a quick fix, $9.62 is the correct fix but much harder to change.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...pring&x=32&y=9
Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Remove your door latch assembly, this make the job far easier to do. This "trick" was discovered by me after years of suffering! The connecting link from the outside door handle to latch assembly is made to allow the link from the outside handle to be pushed into the clip on the latch assembly, make sure the clip is seated in the arm on the latch, install latch and push in connecting link, piece of cake to reassemble. I usually buy a pair of replacement clips for this job, in fact I have spares in my hardware cabinet, because disassembling the clips can be challenging if your trying to save them, I just WRECK them and put new ones in on reassembly. Getting that rear nut off with the latch still in the door is an exercise in PURE MISERY that dosen't have to be expirienced

If your using Chinese outside door handles, check the rivets where the spring is, many times I find the spring has jumped down into the step by the rivet, they need to be properly fixed to perform well, also check clearances of outer latch to the housing, the quality of the repros varies widely, I inspect these carfully before bothering to install them I have about a 25% reject rate on foreign repro door handles, the GM ones are pricey but, perfect
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM
archer417
Advanced

Thanks guys! I think these are the original door handles. Looking at them from the inside sure looks like they have been there for 36 yrs.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing D/S Outer door handle

Quick Reply: Removing D/S Outer door handle