C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM
cal camara
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default starter wiring

I am replacing my starter on a 69 with a 383. I am trying to replace it with a hi torque motor. The new motor is supposed to fit my 69 small block. Power premium plus from Napa. It has only the positive cable post and red ignition wire. My stock starter has 3 posts, one that a purple wire attaches to.

1. What do I do with the purple wire, is it a coil wire?
2. Is this the wrong starter?

thanks

cal

Last edited by cal camara; 10-07-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Only The "S" (start) wire or the one closest to the block is used on the new starter as the "R" (run) wire which is the closest one to the fender or outer wire is not used on the new high torque starter. I used some shrink tubing on mine and tied it back in case I want to use it again.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM
cal camara
Racer

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Only The "S" (start) wire or the one closest to the block is used on the new starter as the "R" (run) wire which is the closest one to the fender or outer wire is not used on the new high torque starter. I used some shrink tubing on mine and tied it back in case I want to use it again.
My HT starter has a top connection for positive bat cable, and one terminal on the fender side.

My original had the upper bat terminal, a fender side terminal that had a red wire, and a block side terminal that had a purple wire. Which is the start wire that I connect to the fender side the new starter?

directions are unclear.

thanks

cal
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

You don't use the R wire on the new starter. Just the S wire. Look at your old starter solenoid and you will see the terminals marked S and R.
Just use the wire that came off the S terminal. The wires on my 69 BB are cloth wrapped so are not the same color but the solenoid should be marked.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 PM
cal camara
Racer

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
You don't use the R wire on the new starter. Just the S wire. Look at your old starter solenoid and you will see the terminals marked S and R.
Just use the wire that came off the S terminal. The wires on my 69 BB are cloth wrapped so are not the same color but the solenoid should be marked.
Ok got it.
The start wire must hook to ignition switch. What did the run wire hook to and why isn't needed?

thanks
again

cal
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The wire from the r terminal used to go to the coil to give added power to the coil while the starter was cranking. The new hi torque starter does not have this feature and it's not needed since the new starter uses less amperage.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM
cal camara
Racer

Originally Posted by '75
The wire from the r terminal used to go to the coil to give added power to the coil while the starter was cranking. The new hi torque starter does not have this feature and it's not needed since the new starter uses less amperage.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Does a stock starter use the run wire if you have converted to a HEI Dist?

thanks

cal
Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

No, HEI doesn't need it.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The purple wire is the one you want.

The red wire should not be connected. Check up by the distributor and see what happens with it up there.

There are mini-starters that have solenoids with the terminal for the red wire. Not as common as the ones without but they do exist.

Get notified of new replies

To starter wiring

Quick Reply: starter wiring