C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate The Stock Seats In My 72...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default I hate The Stock Seats In My 72...

Are there any good seats that will fit in my 72 C3? I am considering having the old ones redone at midamerica with leather, new foam etc... but spending 1000 bucks on seats that I dislike seems ridiculous. I would much rather spend that money on seat I like.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 781 Likes on 559 Posts

The late C3 seats are a bit more comfortable, and have additional side support. For those of us who are trying to rid our C3s of excess weight the later seats are also substantially lighter.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

U should do search for this - plenty of options.

I bought a pair of the later '79 seats and had to remove the bottom brackets off my old seats for the correct bolt holes to line up on the floor. Some others have said the '79 & later seats need those brackets adjusted for height. Mine are going in as is and if too low then will fix later. Also the later seats use a inertial latch to allow forward tilt of seat and is made of nylon which after all these years is brittle and falls into pieces when u dissemble to inspect why seat won't tilt forward. Nylon latch can be removed but no stop for the seat back in an accident then.
BTW i never noticed they were lighter but yes much more comfortable.

There are alot of others that have put C5 seats in their C3 but to me that doesnt look good enough. Also some have use the old Pontiac Feiro seats but those must be well aged and problematic by now.

Good luck and post what works for u,
cardo0
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the C4 seats fit? They are very comfortable seats. Another option is the fiero seats. They look good, but I have no experience with them.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Are there any good seats that will fit in my 72 C3? I am considering having the old ones redone at midamerica with leather, new foam etc... but spending 1000 bucks on seats that I dislike seems ridiculous. I would much rather spend that money on seat I like.
I installed Corbeau GTSII seats in my 77 from Speeddirect.

My only issue is that the headrests are too big and block some of the rear view out the back window, other than that the seats are way more supportive and comfortable than the original seats.

Also, if you are over 6 foot tall then these seats will be too tall for you (no head room).

I will probably have the headrests rebuilt so they are smaller.

I have heard that the Fiero seats will also fit in our cars with only modifications to attach the original C3 seat tracks to the Fiero seat frame.

Others have fit seats from C4 and C5 into our C3's but I'm not sure how much work was required to make them fit.

Good Luck with your search!

Last edited by donyue; 10-04-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

As far as looks go, I like the stock seats in my 75 Vert, which are pretty much the same seat back to 69 I think. I like the look of stock interiors in these cars. As for comfort, they suck. My wife doesn't like the looks or the comfort. My 80 was better, but still not a great seat for lumbar support, which is important to me with my back. Not a clue what I will do.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I find the seats in my '79 very comfortable but the high side bolster makes it a struggle to get in and out of the car. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to remove the high side bolster but it looks like the hinge mechanism placement will prevent that.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I hated my '72 stock seats as well. I put in C5 seats, they are far more comfortable and supportive. Easy mod to do, used the C3 seat tracks on the C5 seats. As an added bonus, the two C5 seats weigh about the same as ONE C3 seat!!

Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

I will look for some c5 seats, i love how they look and they have to be more comfortable than the POS they called a seat for the 72. Do you just used lap belt? I would like to retro a shoulder belt but these seats have no pass through and I have a vert so I may need to just stick with lap belts.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:13 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 604 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm doing the Fiero seats with Mr Mikes covers.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I hated my '72 stock seats as well. I put in C5 seats, they are far more comfortable and supportive. Easy mod to do, used the C3 seat tracks on the C5 seats. As an added bonus, the two C5 seats weigh about the same as ONE C3 seat!!

i Put C5 seats in the 68 and couldn't be happier. You sit in them and they wrap around you. Made my own mounts using the stock bolt locations and have power adjustment as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1Fordman
i Put C5 seats in the 68 and couldn't be happier. You sit in them and they wrap around you. Made my own mounts using the stock bolt locations and have power adjustment as well.
Did you lose any headroom?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Can you provide details regarding the mounts?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:54 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by KJL
Do you just used lap belt? I would like to retro a shoulder belt but these seats have no pass through and I have a vert so I may need to just stick with lap belts.
At the moment, I am just using the lap belts, but there is no reason why I can't also use the shoulder belts. They just go around the seats instead of through them. The "sport" version of the C5 seats have a hole in the back that belts could pass through. The "sport" version looks like this:

I do plan to retro fit a modern type 3 point belt system into the car, maybe this winter.

Originally Posted by Priya
I am 6'-1" 200lbs, and I fit no problem. You will lose a lot of headroom if you try to use the C5 rails without lowering the floor pan. You also need to move the passenger side adjuster rail to the inside rail to get them as low as possible.

Originally Posted by KJL
Can you provide details regarding the mounts?
I mounted the C3 rails to the bottom of the C5 seats. I used an existing hole and drilled and tapped a new one for each rail. On the passenger side, I swapped which side the rails were on compared to stock; this puts the adjustment lever on the inside rail. I did this because if you leave the adjuster on the outside rail, it will interfere with the C5 seat recline mechanism, and you will have to use spacers to clear. I simply cut the adjuster off the one side of the rail, and then welded it to the other side. This makes both my seats have the adjuster on the inside of the inside rail. Make sense?

I wanted the seats as low as possible because of my height, they are actually mounted lower than the stock seats. I don't know if my C5 seats were originally power or not because I bought them without any C5 rails.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 10-04-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

alot better then stock seats.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 PM
learje
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fieros seem to be well liked, i love mine! price is right too

Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Fiero seats are great looking. Not caring for the look of the C5 seats myself.

Get notified of new replies

To I hate The Stock Seats In My 72...

Old 10-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,227 Likes on 1,735 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by donyue
I installed Corbeau GTSII seats in my 77 from Speeddirect.

My only issue is that the headrests are too big and block some of the rear view out the back window, other than that the seats are way more supportive and comfortable than the original seats.

Also, if you are over 6 foot tall then these seats will be too tall for you (no head room).

I will probably have the headrests rebuilt so they are smaller.

I have heard that the Fiero seats will also fit in our cars with only modifications to attach the original C3 seat tracks to the Fiero seat frame.

Others have fit seats from C4 and C5 into our C3's but I'm not sure how much work was required to make them fit.

Good Luck with your search!
I went w/ the same seats-and did have the headrests redone-

Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did fiero seats because everyone says they fit well and I thought they looked to most period correct for the earlier C3s. Pictured are '85 Fiero seats in black leather from Mr Mikes in the '68-69 pattern. The example I copied used comfort weave on the inserts...mine are plain leather. Pictured sitting on the Fiero tracks which are a bit taller than the C3s...I'm really glad I went this route.

Found the seats on www.car-parts.com

v/r,
Rob

Old 10-04-2013, 11:38 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
Did not loose any headroom, I'm 5'11" and with the seat back and down fits me like a glove. Mounts are 1" tall bolted to the C5 rails into the stock C3 mounting locations. I used studs in the stock holes so the seats drop onto the studs and are held down with aircraft style lock nuts.

The seats can be in and out in about 10 minutes. Made a harness for the power mechanism that hooks straight to the battery with a 15 amp inline fuse and a polarized plug.

Quick Reply: I hate The Stock Seats In My 72...