C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate The Stock Seats In My 72...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Very clean.... what do you have under the hood?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CiCiC3
I was going through the same scenario not long ago with my 74 and elected to go with stock vinyl seats from Eklers who buy from Corv. Amer. it seems. Could not really find anything that would look better than the stock seats but could not justify $1000 a seat for leather when all completed. They feel much better now with new foam and really freshens up the interior looks wise. Also much better to have an upholstery guy do it rather than tackle that job yourself.
I considered doing that as well. My stock seats are in pretty good shape. They are vinyl with no tears but the foam is shot. I will deff hang on them as I have done with everything else.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:49 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Here is what I have. Good shape but uncomfortable and not excited about the Oxblood color.

Here is what I would like to have except with Fiero seats. I don't know who's car this is but I think it is gorgeous!

On a side note, I've noticed red interiors are becoming popular again in some new cars. Everything goes round and round!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 73StreetRace
OMP Racing seats, cheap and very comfortable :
[/url]
Those look like a struggle to get in and out of. I'd probably have to stop three times to catch my breath when getting out of those seats.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
Those look like a struggle to get in and out of. I'd probably have to stop three times to catch my breath when getting out of those seats.
I can't deny it ! Those seats are not the kind you want to do some shopping downtown
Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone with Fiero seats in a convertible have a pic of how high the seat backs sit? Please post.

I would love to see this as I'm on the fence to make the move to the Fiero seat. The only thing I like about the factory seats in my '70 is the seat back height with the top down, and the fact they don't stick way up above the deck lid.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Delta26
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the wife loves the leather seats in our 81 4 speed. She is only 5 feet and they gobble her up.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:55 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
With the top down I probably will not have a problem.

What do you think of you electric water pump.... not to change the subject but it is my thread.... I have been a little worried about doing that. I installed a Dewitts rad in my 96 LT4...great radiator!
It's been working fine. I have a DeWitt's small block/no AC radiator that I put in before we decided to do the LS swap. I was worried that the radiator wouldn't be big enough but it seems the water pump, radiator and electric fan control the engine temp nicely. When it gets cool in New England it's hard to get the engine hot enough to get heat.

I wired the pump according to Meziere's recommendations so it is always running when the key is on. I listen for the gurgling before I start the engine to make sure coolant is circulating.

Rick B.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:17 PM
7dSHARK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have fierro seats in my 70 convertible. I don't have a good picture but I estimate the top of the seat 3" or 4" max above the rear deck. Might be a little lower but I don't want to mislead you. I am 5'9" and not too fat yet. I have a smaller diameter steering wheel. I had to mount the seats flat on the floor or I would be looking into the header of the windshield. I do like my seats but no slider makes access to the rear a little harder. If you need pics pm me your e-mail and I will take a few.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks PM sent.

Originally Posted by 7dSHARK
I have fierro seats in my 70 convertible. I don't have a good picture but I estimate the top of the seat 3" or 4" max above the rear deck. Might be a little lower but I don't want to mislead you. I am 5'9" and not too fat yet. I have a smaller diameter steering wheel. I had to mount the seats flat on the floor or I would be looking into the header of the windshield. I do like my seats but no slider makes access to the rear a little harder. If you need pics pm me your e-mail and I will take a few.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:26 PM
GRIZ73
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I hate stock seats in my 72

I have C5 sport seats in 2 of my 73 convertibles. I cut down the C5 front mount and installed with full power features and inflatable bolsters. With these seats I can see over the L88 hood and it so much more comfortable. If you don't want the power feature Mid America is just about to offer conversion mounting brackets. Check with them.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Can you upload pic on how you cut down your brackets?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
It's been working fine. I have a DeWitt's small block/no AC radiator that I put in before we decided to do the LS swap. I was worried that the radiator wouldn't be big enough but it seems the water pump, radiator and electric fan control the engine temp nicely. When it gets cool in New England it's hard to get the engine hot enough to get heat.

I wired the pump according to Meziere's recommendations so it is always running when the key is on. I listen for the gurgling before I start the engine to make sure coolant is circulating.

Rick B.

Still a bit scary. I would still want some sort of alarm light or something if the pump were to stop. Don't know how to do that off hand.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Still a bit scary. I would still want some sort of alarm light or something if the pump were to stop. Don't know how to do that off hand.
Electric water pumps are common and reliable. Your ultimate warning light is your temp gauge. Should be noticeable and have plenty of time to pull over and see what is up.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Well so much for my seats. The guy I purchased them from in Florida never shipped them. I have taken issue up with ebay after repeated attempts to work with this guy. It is clear I am getting the run around. The odd thing is the UPS tracking number he provided shows the shipping labels were created but the boxes were never picked up by UPS and entered into the system. I have watched over a week now and tried to reach out to this guy but he is not doing what he says he is going to do. I am done, I am requesting full refund from ebay as I no longer believe anything he says.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Sorry to hear that KJL, I hope you are able to get your money back. I'd look for a set of fiero seats. I got mine from a pick and pull for $65, they are in very good condition except they are the wrong color or I'd put them in until I can afford the leather seat covers.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I'm sorry this is happening to you KJL. I hope you can get something back out of the deal.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:47 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Well so much for my seats. The guy I purchased them from in Florida never shipped them. I have taken issue up with ebay after repeated attempts to work with this guy. It is clear I am getting the run around. The odd thing is the UPS tracking number he provided shows the shipping labels were created but the boxes were never picked up by UPS and entered into the system. I have watched over a week now and tried to reach out to this guy but he is not doing what he says he is going to do. I am done, I am requesting full refund from ebay as I no longer believe anything he says.
Sorry to hear about the problems with the purchase of your seats. Hopefully Ebay will be able to get all of your money back.

Did you use Paypal to pay for the purchase?

I usually try to avoid large purchases through Ebay especially for sight unseen items.

I will pay a little more to purchase through an established vendor/business for my Vette parts as I would rather not have any issues with returns or missing orders being that I am located in Canada.

JMHO.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Seats finally came in today, the guy finally contacted me, I am all is well, they look very good and I am satisfied with their condition. I may need some help with swapping rails if I need to do it. I looked at the bottom and I am not sure how the rails and power mechanism are removed. From the comments in this thread, it sounded like it would be a bit more intuitive than it appears. I see bolts in the rear but rivets up front. I wish some of the folks that have swapped rails could provide a little more detail as to how this is done. I haven done a test fit yet, will do this weekend. GRIZ73 siad he cut down the front of the rails. I can see where this cold be all that I need to do. I will try to PM him for pics. I would like to keep the power functions if possible.

Also, I see where the power is connected but there is also a larger white plastic plug with multiple pins. What is this for?

Thanks for the feedback and support guys.

Quick Reply: I hate The Stock Seats In My 72...