C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sag in drivers side rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 PM
newbusa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sag in drivers side rear of car

So my 68 has a noticeable sag from one side of car to the other when looking at from the rear. One of my friends is suggesting it could be a rear enlightenment issue, Is that possible? And what should I be looking at if it is?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a number of possibilities that can be found with a search. One overlooked one that I always suggest is check the sways bars for even tension side to side. Even the front sway bar can affect the rear heights.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

On mine I found two issues that pretty much fixed the rear driver side lean. When I replaced the front a-arm bushings I found that the front right spring was not seated all the way down in its seat. While this didn't seem so obvious on the right front it pushed the left rear down. Also I found that the front sway bar has a twist that when the links were tightened down pushed the right front up a bit and the left rear down.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 PM
newbusa
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the suggestions guys, I will investigate those ideas further.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:33 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by newbusa
Thank you for the suggestions guys, I will investigate those ideas further.
Could be a busted leaf on the rear spring (driver's side of the spring).
Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
MacVette86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the rear body mount, that was my problem.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,137 Likes on 736 Posts

Have the same problem. Mounts are good, frame is straight, sway bars are not preloaded. I am wondering if it is worth flipping my fiberglass spring 180? It is about 20 years old but no signs of delamination or stress.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM
newbusa
Heel & Toe

Okay i have included a picture of the rear of my car to show the sag.
I had it on the hoist today and tried some adjustments and everything seems to be fine with the suspension.
I measured from the rear wheel wells and both sides are the same measurements to the pavement, the drop seems to be more in the tail of car,the drivers side extreme rear. Also measured the front wheel wells and the measurement is only off a 1/2 inch from the drivers to the passenger side, being lower on the passengers side.

Now if it was the a rear body mount, Would it be the one behind the rear wheel? And if so what do i need to do to check?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi nb,
Yes, you should take a look at the #4 mount, the one behind the rear wheel.
You'll want to be looking to see that the mount itself isn't too rusty and also check the condition of the aluminum 'puck' that's used as a spacer. The 'pucks' can deteriorate over the years and collapse because of oxidation.
Take a peek. Hopefully it'll be o.k. and eliminate one possibility.
Regards,
Alan

Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 AM
newbusa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi nb,
Yes, you should take a look at the #4 mount, the one behind the rear wheel.
You'll want to be looking to see that the mount itself isn't too rusty and also check the condition of the aluminum 'puck' that's used as a spacer. The 'pucks' can deteriorate over the years and collapse because of oxidation.
Take a peek. Hopefully it'll be o.k. and eliminate one possibility.
Regards,
Alan

So looks like from doing some searching, I need to get the lower bolt off and removed and jack up the body to get some clearance to remove the bushings.But first remove the back bumpers,Not too sure why i have to remove the bumpers as well for this job? It seems the new bushings are now rubber and no longer aluminum?Also where should i be lifting the body to get my working clearance?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 AM
QuRace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay i have included a picture of the rear of my car to show the sag.
I had it on the hoist today and tried some adjustments and everything seems to be fine with the suspension.
I measured from the rear wheel wells and both sides are the same measurements to the pavement, the drop seems to be more in the tail of car,the drivers side extreme rear. Also measured the front wheel wells and the measurement is only off a 1/2 inch from the drivers to the passenger side, being lower on the passengers side.

Now if it was the a rear body mount, Would it be the one behind the rear wheel? And if so what do i need to do to check?
Call me crazy, but I've wondered about that 'sag' for a long time... My '70 shows similar signs, although probably not as much as in your picture. I even believe I see this driver side sag in more or less all the chrome bumpers I look at... My working theory has been so far that something went wrong already during the manufacture of the fiberglass, i.e. the the sag was already in the molds.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi nb,
There was a change to the rubber body mount in 1973.
You CAN change to the rubber type but if you do you should probably change ALL of them. There's a slight difference in the thickness between the aluminum and rubber mounts.
You MAY be able to raise (pry) the body up enough to get the puck out... it depends car to car.
You should try to determine first if it needs replacing at this point.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 80 used to sit a bit low on the drivers seat. When I changed out the leaf spring bushings, I was happy to see a side benefit of the car coming back to near level after the install. Just something else to check.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM
newbusa
Heel & Toe

Well I looked at the body mounts today, And they look nearly new,like they have been replaced not too far in the past.And they are aluminum bushings.Nothing wrong with them at all.
I don't know if I am disappointed or happy about it.At least if the it was the body mounts,I would know what to fix.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:35 PM
pvana
Intermediate

Well I looked at the body mounts today, And they look nearly new,like they have been replaced not too far in the past.And they are aluminum bushings.Nothing wrong with them at all.
I don't know if I am disappointed or happy about it.At least if the it was the body mounts,I would know what to fix.
Did you also look at mount #3? This one is hidden in rear wheel compartment. This was my problem. I have adjusted mono spring to compensate but still did not work 100%.

Get notified of new replies

To Sag in drivers side rear of car

Quick Reply: Sag in drivers side rear of car