C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willwood brakes review

Old 09-15-2013, 05:13 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Willwood brakes review

Well after 6k miles on the new Willwood 4 piston caliper brakes, I would have to say, I am totally impressed. I have taken this Vette on several road trips. Even one to Colorado running the canyons and mountiains. Standard start and stop in traffic, and alot of basic road running. The brakes are wearing great, no signs at all of problems. The pedal feel is very solid, these calipers and pads will stop very very fast. The install went very smoothly. The hardest part of the install was the removal of the OEM rear calipers. The bolts were very rusted and took a long 24" ratchet to loosen. If I remember though. The complete swap including new hoses and bleeding, took less than 3 hrs all by myslef. Oh, talk about bleeding, these are super easy to bleed. The Power bleeder is really a blessing. Anyway, after comparing swappind the disc calipers on the Vette with any other vehicle we have. I would have to say this is the easiest by far. So, if anyone is thinking of installind the Willwood 4 piston aluminum calipers. I would highly recommend. 10 on a 10 point scale. Al
The following users liked this post:
Badhabit79 (07-28-2021)
Old 09-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

I'm not sure I'm seeing what the big deal is. In the type of driving you're describing the stock brakes are more than capable of giving the same results (good braking, firm pedal, etc). Remember, those same calipers were used on countless road racing Corvettes for several decades, and rarely did you ever hear that a Corvette dropped out of a race because the calipers gave out.

This is not a slam on Wilwood calipers. I have Wilwoods on my '69, but I chose them for their lighter weight and meeting the special packaging limitations I had fitting the C4 suspension under my car. I run this car on track days every chance I get. I appreciate the reduced unsprung weight due to these calipers, and with a big block my car has very high corner entry speeds, requiring a quality caliper to slow the car with consistent results and feel.

Wilwoods are nice, but don't discount the stock calipers for regular Corvette driving.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always had problems with the OEM calipers. I probably could have saved some money by replaceing with the OEM design, but the Willwoods are so nice. The weight is much less, and the kit came with new pads and hoses. I really like these new calipers and pads. Al
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

What model are you using and what wheel size?

Get notified of new replies

To Willwood brakes review

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Willwood brakes review