C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive - Put to the Test

Old 09-13-2013, 03:26 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive - Put to the Test

First, here’s a look at some background info, for those not familiar with me or my oil testing write-ups, or for those who are familiar but still may not be clear about it all. I'm a working Professional Degreed Engineer, as well as a U.S. Patent holder, who deals with Engineering technical matters for a living. I’m not just some guy who went to College to become an Engineer. I have also been wrenching on cars and motorcycles since I was a teenager. So, in addition to being an Engineer, I’m also a hands-on gear head and have been a Drag Racer, just like the rest of you.

THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing a motor oil does for your engine, is prevent wear. Everything else it does for your engine, comes AFTER that. So, at the beginning of 2012, I began Tribology Research using motor oil “Wear Testing” equipment, to get to the truth about the wear prevention capabilities of motor oil. And for those not familiar with the terminology, Tribology means the study of friction, lubrication, and wear between moving surfaces.

I'm a total perfectionist when it comes to technical issues. And those who know me personally, know that I would never jeopardize my reputation or my integrity, by posting data that would turn the Hobby/Industry on its ear, unless I was absolutely sure about the data I put out there. Of course I've always known my carefully generated data was completely accurate, but now my oil testing methodology and the resulting data have been endorsed by the following well respected sources:

1. Dr. Lars Grimsrud, who is the most highly respected Engineer, Car builder and Tech Guru on the Corvette C3 Forum. He told me, “I'm 100% on board with backing you with my endorsement on your testing: I run a Propulsion Testing Laboratory for a major Aerospace Company, so I'm in the testing business. Your methods and approach are in accordance with sound engineering testing methods, and are not arguable by intelligent people”. He also told me this about my Oil Testing info, “This is excellent stuff, and I've already sent copies of this to my engineering colleagues”. In addition to that, he now includes my Oil Testing Info in a list of Tech Papers written by well respected Industry authors, that he makes available to enthusiasts.

2. A NASCAR engine supplier out of North Carolina (they did not want their name associated with any Internet motor oil arguments that may come up, so they asked that their name be left out, which I honored) was so impressed with the motor oil “Wear Protection Capability Testing” I perform, that they sent me 3 NASCAR Racing Oils they use, for testing. They valued my testing efforts enough to include me in what they do, which is quite an endorsement, considering the Professional level of Racing they are involved in. They had been seeing some wear issues with those oils, and wanted to see if I could shed any light on that by testing them. I did test those oils for them, and the test results showed that those oils did not provide acceptable wear protection capability, which accounted for the wear problems they were having. So, they have selected other oils to use, and their wear problems have gone away. If I had tested those oils before they started using them, I could have saved them time, money and grief.

3. The “Oil Extreme” Oil Company was so impressed with the detail and accuracy of my oil testing, that they wanted to hire me to perform product development research testing for them. That was clearly a major endorsement of the testing I perform. But, I declined taking any money from them, because I won’t be tied to any Oil Company by money. That way I can maintain my independent and unbiased status. I report the test results just how they come out, good or bad. And there is no way I’d allow any Oil Company to influence anything I report. I did however, agree to perform testing for them for free, along with other testing I perform. And those results will be posted along with other test results.

My data has also been validated and backed-up by a total of FOUR other independent Industry sources. They are as follows:

1. Well known and respected Engineer and Tech Author David Vizard, whose own test data, largely based on real world engine dyno testing, has concluded that more zinc in motor oil can be damaging, more zinc does NOT provide today's best wear protection, and that using zinc as the primary anti-wear component, is outdated technology.

2. The GM Oil Report titled, "Oil Myths from GM Techlink", concluded that high levels of zinc are damaging and that more zinc does NOT provide more wear protection.

3. A motor oil research article written by Ed Hackett titled, "More than you ever wanted to know about Motor Oil", concluded that more zinc does NOT provide more wear protection, it only provides longer wear protection.

4. This from the Brad Penn Oil Company:
There is such a thing as too much ZDDP. ZDDP is surface aggressive, and too much can be a detriment. ZDDP fights for the surface, blocking other additive performance. Acids generated due to excessive ZDDP contact will “tie-up” detergents thus encouraging corrosive wear. ZDDP effectiveness plateaus, more does NOT translate into more protection. Only so much is utilized. We don’t need to saturate our oil with ZDDP.

Those who are familiar with my test data, know that my test results came up with the exact same results stated by all four of those independent sources. So, this is an example where motor oil “Dynamic Wear Testing Under Load” using oil testing equipment, engine dyno testing, Motor Oil Industry testing, and proper motor oil research using only the facts, from a total of five (including my own) independent sources, all converged to agree and come to the same exact conclusion. Back-up validation proof, doesn't get any better than this.

So, with all those sources in total agreement, that should provide more than enough proof to anyone who questioned my test data, that my data is absolutely correct. And that questioning any one of those sources, questions them all, and questions the Physics and Chemistry that determined all those identical results. And no sensible person would try to argue against Physics and Chemistry. Because that is a battle no man can win.

Of course, many folks have always been conditioned to believe that high zinc levels in motor oil are a must for sufficient wear protection in High Performance engines. And of course there are a number of oils available that say something along the lines of “Extra Zinc for Extra Protection”. So, a lot of those folks just cannot bring themselves to accept the fact that high zinc levels are NOT what they are cracked up to be. They feel compelled to believe the claims on those bottles of oil and the Marketing/Advertising claims made by the Oil Companies that provide those high zinc oils.

But, people need to consider the following. Those Oil Companies are in business to make money. That’s it. So, they put a product on the market that they feel there is a demand for, and will make them money. As a result, they will say “ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING”, to move that product, which will help their bottom line. So, high zinc loving people need to stop and consider that for a moment. The Oil Companies have a vested interest in telling people what they want to hear, so they will buy their oil. Misleading claims and false advertising are as old and the exchange of money. And every person alive has seen false advertising many, many times in their life.

Oil Company claims about the benefit of high zinc levels in motor oil, only amounts to fraudulent advertising, because that is NOT based on actual fact. Extra zinc cannot physically provide extra wear protection, because zinc simply DOES NOT work that way. Zinc is used up a little at a time as it is sacrificed to help protect against wear. More zinc will take longer to become depleted, simply because there is more there to use up. It’s the same idea as more gas in your tank will take longer to run out, but more gas in your tank cannot physically make more HP.

These high zinc motor oil producing Oil Companies NEVER provide any test data to prove that their high zinc oils provide better wear protection than ordinary modern street oils do. They can't do it, because it's NOT TRUE. So, high zinc believers are only embracing smoke and mirrors, nothing else. And the actual test results referenced above, PROVE that the need for high zinc levels is simply NOT TRUE. That is why I started testing motor oil, so that I could separate the facts from the fiction.

Motor Oil Company Advertising claims are only hype and hot air, but actual test data is the real thing. If I test a modern low zinc API certified oil against a high zinc oil, and the modern API certified low zinc out clearly outperforms the high zinc oil in terms of wear protection, how can the high zinc lovers honestly believe that the high zinc oil is better? How could that high zinc oil magically perform better in an engine, when it was worse in testing? And if I test two high zinc oils, and one does well and one does not, how can the high zinc lovers believe that all high zinc oils are always good?

So, high zinc lovers need to do a little soul searching and ask themselves why they want to believe something that does NOT stand-up to real world testing? Keep in mind that testing is so important and valuable, that multi-million dollar corporate decisions are made, based on test data. Not only that, but Racers test engine and chassis setups at the track all the time. And they believe what the test results tell them, because that's the only way they have to know what really works and what doesn't. So, it makes NO SENSE to disregard oil testing, when virtually all other types of testing are taken as Gospel.

It's been said that I'm the motor oil Police, because I discover and expose false motor oil claims and fraudulent motor oil advertising, with my test results that show the FACTS. I don't sell motor oil, so it doesn't make any difference to me, what oil people choose to run. But, people need to understand that some high zinc oils provide good wear protection, while many high zinc oils do not. And without looking at the test data, you cannot tell which is which, until perhaps its too late. In fact, many wiped flat tappet lobes COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED if people had not blindly believed that all high zinc oils provide all the wear protection they need. Because nothing could be further from the truth.

So, the folks who choose to use only high zinc oils NO MATTER WHAT the test result FACTS show us, are only fooling themselves. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But, ignoring the FACTS is their loss, and depending on the particular oil they choose, they are likely NOT getting the wear protection they THINK they are. If you value your engine, wouldn't you prefer to choose the motor oil that can REALLY provide the best wear protection, based on test data FACTS, rather than the old incorrect high zinc MYTH? Don't believe what the high zinc lovers say, because they are only trying to justify what they “believe”, even though they have NO PROOF what so ever, to backup what they say. On the other hand, I backup everything I say. So, read the FACTS, then make your own decision.

The motor oil “Dynamic Wear Testing Under Load” I performed to generate my “Wear Protection Ranking List”, is worst case torture testing using oil testing equipment (and for the record, it is NOT a “One Armed Bandit” tester), which subjects the oil to far more severe loading than even the most wicked flat tappet race engine ever could. The testing is in other words, a rubbing friction test under load. And the test equipment is NOT intended to duplicate an engine’s internal components. On the contrary, the test equipment is specifically designed to cause an oil to reach its failure point, in order to determine what its capability limit it is. And every oil I test is brought to its failure point, that’s how it works. The difference in the failure points, is what we compare.

But, a running engine is designed to last indefinitely, and of course, they do not generally cause an oil to reach its failure point. So, due to the complete difference in design, the pressures in my test are completely different, and cannot be compared directly to an engine’s lobe/lifter interface pressure. That would be comparing apples to oranges, which makes no sense. My testing is so severe, that the oil fails at an earlier point. And that is why my test data psi values may appear lower than you might expect to see in some running engines. Keep in mind, I’m comparing OIL AGAINST OIL, and the procedure used is exactly the same for each oil tested. For better or worse, each oil stands on its own merit. And if oil A produces twice the psi value of oil B in my testing, then oil A will also offer twice the wear protection capability of oil B, in a running engine.

The “dynamic wear testing under load” I use, is intentionally designed to find the SPECIFIC LIMIT of each individual oil’s “Load carrying capacity/film strength”, at a representative operational temperature of 230*F. Or in other words, to determine each oil’s “wear protection capability” psi value, which can be compared to any other oil tested on the same equipment. The results that come out of my testing are NOT my opinion, and they are NOT my theory. They are the FACTS that come out of the Physics and Chemistry involved in the tests.

Performing “dynamic wear testing under load”, is the ONLY TYPE OF TESTING that will provide accurate data regarding an oil’s film strength. Dynamically testing motor oil under load, is the same concept as dynamically testing an engine under load on a dyno. That is the only way to truly find accurate performance data of a motor oil, or of an engine.

And obtaining accurate oil film strength data is ABSOLUTELY THE ONLY WAY to determine an oil’s wear protection capability, because an oil’s film strength is the last line of defense against metal to metal contact. In order to reach metal to metal contact, and subsequent wear or damage, you MUST penetrate the film strength of the oil. And oil thicker than a mere film becomes liquid oil. Of course liquids are NOT compressible, which is how hydraulics work. Since liquids cannot be compressed, ALL oils provide THE SAME wear protection when they are in liquid form, no matter if they cost $1.00 per quart or $20.00 per quart. So, oil film strength testing is the GOLD STANDARD for determining how capable an oil is at preventing wear, and how different oils directly compare to each other. In other words, the ONLY THING that separates one oil’s ability to prevent wear from another oil’s ability to prevent wear, is the difference in their individual film strength capabilities.

But, testing motor oil in a running engine CANNOT determine the EXACT SPECIFIC wear protection LIMIT of an oil, which is necessary, in order to make an accurate comparison between various oils. So, attempting to test various motor oils for comparison in a running engine, provides no meaningful data, other than perhaps that a given oil did not cause a failure in that particular engine combo. If you were to test say a half a dozen different oils in your engine combo, and you had no problems with any of them, how can you tell how they rank against each other? It’s a proven fact that all oils do not provide the same wear protection capability. That means you have no way of knowing which of those 6 oils provides you with the highest level of protection. Therefore, motor oil testing in a running engine, is a waste of time, effort and money, when it comes to gathering accurate data for comparison between various oils. And that is precisely why I perform all my testing with motor oil test equipment, rather than in an engine.

Many, many Industries worldwide use test equipment to determine the actual capability of their products, before they are put to use by consumers. Using the test results that come out of my testing, allows us to see exactly how various oils compare head to head, under the exact same conditions, regarding their individual wear protection capabilities. Since my oil testing COMPARES various oils under worst case conditions, absolutely no further testing is required in a running engine. If oils rank higher in my “Wear Protection Ranking List” than the oil you currently use, those higher ranked oils will provide a HIGHER LEVEL OF WEAR PROTECTION than your current oil. It’s really that simple. This is NOT Rocket Science.

If folks see that the oil they prefer to use does not rank all that high on my “Wear Protection Ranking List”, and they have not had a problem using it, then they don’t need to stop using it. I’ve never said that at all. And I have never said that any oil failed my testing, nor have I ever said that any oil is bad. I’ve only said that some oils provide a higher level of wear protection than others, and that most folks would probably want the best protection they can get. For the folks who have had good success with whatever oil they use, that does not mean they have been using a great oil, it only means that they are not exceeding the capability limit of that oil. If they continue to stay below that oil’s capability limit, they will never have a problem. But, if they want to choose a better oil, for extra wear protection insurance in case things ever start going south, all they have to do is look at my ranking list and choose a higher ranked oil. The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.

It should also be noted that I do NOT get paid by any Oil Company, nor by any Motor Oil Retailer, nor do I sell anything myself. So, I have no vested interest in what oil people choose to run. Therefore, all the data here is totally independent, unbiased, and is reported exactly how the test results came out. I have no agenda here, other than simply sharing the FACTS with like-minded gear heads.

Until I started performing Tribology Research, and setup my motor oil “Wear Protection Capability Ranking List”, there was no good way to know which oils provided good wear protection, and which oils didn’t. Previously, all we could do was guess, or use trial and error to determine which oil was good enough, and which oil was not. And even then, we had no way of knowing how various “good enough” oils compared among themselves. But now, we have documented wear test data available. So, all we have to do is look at the Ranking List, and choose an oil that provides the wear protection we are comfortable with for any given build. This is the 21st Century, and we no longer have to guess or use trial and error to decide on which oil to use.

And you will NOT find this many oils tested on the exact same equipment, using the exact same procedure, using the exact same real world representative oil temperature, by the exact same operator, anywhere else. Therefore, this is the best apples to apples motor oil comparison you will ever find.

The “Wear Protection” test data here DIRECTLY APPLIES to flat tappet lobe/lifter interfaces (no matter how wicked the engine), pushrod tip/rocker arm interfaces, non-roller tip rocker arm/valve stem tip interfaces, distributor gear/cam gear interfaces, mechanical fuel pump pushrod tip/cam eccentric interfaces, and all highly loaded engine interfaces.

Now, finally on with the "Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive" test data. The Oil Extreme Company says this product contains their proprietary formula of calcium petroleum sulfontate EP (Extreme Pressure) technology that is NOT found in any other motor oil. The Company along with well known and respected Engineer and Tech Author David Vizard, also claim that it will provide around 10 extra HP, 7 to 10% better fuel mileage, cut engine wear in half, and will extend drain intervals two or three times safely.

Some of you may recall that awhile back I tested 5W30 Oil Extreme Motor Oil, as well as Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive in ordinary yellow bottle 5W30 Pennzoil, API SN conventional motor oil. And both Oil Extreme products produced excellent results. But, since I’d only tested the additive in one single oil, I needed to test it in a variety of oils to see if it was that good in every case.

A 6 ounce bottle of their “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” costs $17.95, plus tax and shipping, directly from the Company.

Here is their website:
http://www.oilextreme.com/

So, here I tested a reasonable cross-section of motor oils that span the whole wear protection spectrum, to see what happens when you add 2 oz (the amount recommended for racing) of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” per quart, to them. I included a couple of highly ranked synthetics, a couple of highly ranked conventional dino oils, as well as a mid-pack conventional dino oil, and a few popular name low performing oils that include synthetics, semi-synthetics and conventional oils.

Keep in mind that the chemical compatibility of the oil and the additive, as well as how optimized the original factory oil is, are critical to how well the resulting mixture performs.

Wear protection reference categories are:

• Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

• 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

• 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

• 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

• Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

All the oils were tested at a representative operational temperature of 230*F.

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.

• 10W30 Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Hi-Performance Oil, conventional dino
This oil by itself is ranked number 104 out of 100+ oils tested, with only 62,538 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).
But, with 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 105,758 psi, or up a mind blowing 69%, which now ranks this oil combo 7th out of 100+ oils tested. This oil was transformed from providing poor wear protection, to an oil providing INCREDIBLE wear protection. So, the additive was EXTREMELY beneficial here.

• 10W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1, semi-synthetic
This oil by itself is ranked number 88 out of 100+ oils tested, with 71,206 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).
But, with 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 111,061 psi, or up a breath taking 56%, which now ranks this oil combo 3rd out of 100+ oils tested. This oil was transformed from providing mediocre wear protection, to an oil providing INCREDIBLE wear protection. So, the additive was also EXTREMELY beneficial here.

• 10W30 Comp Cams Muscle Car & Street Rod Oil, synthetic blend
This oil by itself is ranked number 106 out of 100+ oils tested, with 60,413 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).
With 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 74,874 psi, or up 24%. This oil improved from providing just above UNDESIRABLE wear protection, to providing just under GOOD wear protection. So, the additive was definitely beneficial here.

• 5W30 Royal Purple XPR (extreme performance racing oil) synthetic
This oil by itself is ranked number 75 out of 100+ oils tested, with 74,860 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).
With 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 81,723 psi, or up 9%. This oil improved from providing just under GOOD wear protection, to solidly providing GOOD wear protection. So, the additive was beneficial here.

• 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SM, synthetic
This oil by itself is ranked number 1 out of 100+ oils tested, with 115,612 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).
With 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 111,570 psi, or a drop of 3.5%. The oil is still in the INCREDIBLE wear protection category, so no real harm was done. But, the additive was NOT beneficial here, so there is no need to add it to this oil, which is terrific to begin with. In fact, Chrysler is so impressed with Pennzoil Ultra, that they selected the 0W40 version of it as the only Factory Fill oil for their latest 8.4L, 640 HP, V-10, 200+ mph, Dodge SRT Viper.

• 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN, synthetic
This oil by itself is ranked number 6 out of 100+ oils tested, with 105,875 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).
With 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 102,059 psi, or a drop of 3.6%. The oil was reduced from the INCREDIBLE wear protection category, down to the OUTSTANDING wear protection category. Not a huge problem since it still provides excellent protection, but the additive was NOT beneficial here, so there is no need to add it to this oil.

• 5W30 Chevron Supreme, API SN, conventional dino
This oil by itself is ranked number 16 out of 100+ oils tested, with 100,011 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).
With 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 94,864 psi, or a drop of 5.1%. The oil is still in the OUTSTANDING wear protection category, so no major harm was done. But, the additive was NOT beneficial here, so there is no need to add it to this oil.

• 5W30 Castrol GTX, API SN, conventional dino
This oil by itself is ranked number 31 out of 100+ oils tested, with 95,392 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).
With 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 89,659 psi, or a drop of 6%. The oil was reduced from the OUTSTANDING wear protection category, down to the GOOD wear protection category. The additive was NOT beneficial here, so there is no need to add it to this oil.

************ Additional testing performed below, adding other than just 2.0 oz of additive:

• 5W30 Pennzoil, API SN, yellow bottle, conventional dino
This oil by itself is ranked number 69 out of 100+ oils tested, with 76,989 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability).

** With 1.5 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 100,252 psi, or up a very impressive 30%, which now ranks this oil combo 15th out of 100+ oils tested. This oil improved from providing GOOD wear protection, to providing OUTSTANDING wear protection. So, the additive was clearly a huge benefit here. This is the test result that was posted previously.

** With 2.0 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 99,529 psi, or up an impressive 29%. This oil improved from providing GOOD wear protection, to providing OUTSTANDING wear protection. So, the additive was definitely a benefit here.

** With 3.0 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 97,651 psi, or up an impressive 27%. This oil improved from providing GOOD wear protection, to providing OUTSTANDING wear protection. So, the additive was definitely a benefit here.

** With 4.0 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” put in, this oil produced 96,739 psi, or up an impressive 26%. This oil improved from providing GOOD wear protection, to providing OUTSTANDING wear protection. So, the additive was definitely a benefit here.

As you can see, adding 1.5 oz “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive”, was the optimum amount for this particular oil. As more concentrate was added, the wear protection capability started being slowly reduced. In this case, regarding wear protection, more concentrate did NOT improve it any further.

• 5W30 Oil Extreme Motor Oil, API SM, synthetic (per the Company, even though synthetic is not called out on the label)
This oil by itself is ranked number 4 out of 100+ oils tested, with 110,286 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability), which put it in the INCREDIBLE wear protection category. This is the test result that was posted previously. And the oils that ranked number 2 and 3 above this oil, only ranked that high because they had the “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” added to them. SO, 3 OF THE 4 TOP RANKED OILS ARE “OIL EXTREME” PRODUCTS. The only oil to beat “Oil Extreme” products, is 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SM, which has never been beaten by any other oil I’ve ever tested.

With 1.0 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” added in, this oil produced 98,396 psi, or a drop of 11%, which reduced it to the OUTSTANDING wear protection category. That is still excellent wear protection, so no real harm was done. But, in this case, the oil was already optimized, and adding more concentrate did NOT improve it any further.

SUMMARY:
Out of the 13 tests performed here, 8 oils had their “Wear Protection Capability” improved by adding the “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive”. The average improvement for that group is an impressive 36%.

But, for the 5 oils which had their “Wear Protection Capability” reduced somewhat, the average reduction for that group is only 6%. So, even though there was a reduction here, it wasn’t enough to ruin the oils like zinc additives do.

** Now let’s look back at the zinc additives I’ve tested previously, and compare their performance to the Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive’s performance:

Out of the 6 zinc additive tests I performed, NOT ONE oil had its “Wear Protection Capability” improved AT ALL by adding the recommended amount of the particular zinc additive. In fact, each oil was ruined by adding the zinc, because they had their wear protection capability SIGNIFICANTLY reduced.

Here are the details of that zinc additive testing:

** “ZDDPlus” added to Royal Purple 20W50, API SN, synthetic = 63,595 psi, which was a huge 24% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the ZDDPlus was added to it.

** “ZDDPlus” added to O’Reilly (house brand) 5W30, API SN, conventional = 56,728 psi, which was jaw dropping 38% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the ZDDPlus was added to it.

** “ZDDPlus” added to Motorcraft 5W30, API SN, synthetic = 56,243 psi, which was a significant 12% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the ZDDPlus was added to it.
The average REDUCTION in “Wear Protection Capability” for this “ZDDPlus” group was a whopping 25%. BUYER BEWARE!!

** “Edelbrock Zinc Additive” added to Royal Purple 5W30, API SN, synthetic = 54,044 psi, which was a shocking 36% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the Edelbrock Zinc Additive was added to it.

** “Edelbrock Zinc Additive” added to Lucas 5W30, API SN, conventional = 51,545 psi, which was a breath taking 44% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the Edelbrock Zinc Additive was added to it.

** “Edelbrock Zinc Additive” added to Motorcraft 5W30, API SN, synthetic = 50,202 psi, which was a huge 22% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the Edelbrock Zinc Additive was added to it.

The average REDUCTION in “Wear Protection Capability” for this “Edelbrock Zinc Additive” group was a staggering 34%. BUYER BEWARE!!
Not only did the zinc additives NOT HELP any oil’s wear protection capability, but to add insult to injury, the zinc additives made all the oils’ wear protection capability SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE than they were to begin with. And that is a textbook example of pure snake oil. BUYER BEWARE!!

For the whole test group of zinc additives, the average REDUCTION in “Wear Protection Capability” was an extremely disappointing 30%. This is 5 TIMES WORSE than the reduction seen by the “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” tests, where there were only small reductions in capability in oils that were highly ranked to begin with.

Of course no reduction in capability is desired, but at least the “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” also has the other benefit of reduced friction which increases HP, and zinc additives do not supply this benefit.

** And while we are on the subject of additives: When it comes to the well known “Oil Treatment” additives on the market that make oil stickier and thicken/increase their viscosity, their use is NOT RECOMMENDED because they are known for causing highly undesirable oil foaming. And oil foaming CANNOT lubricate critical engine components anywhere near as well as liquid oil can.

** The selection of any motor oil additive has to be very carefully considered, because “almost” all motor oil additives only make oils worse than they were to begin with.

CONCLUSION ON THE “OIL EXTREME CONCENTRATE ADDITIVE”
So, conventional dino oils and semi-synthetic oils that started out with 60,000+ to 75,000+ psi capability, GREATLY BENEFITTED from adding 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” per quart. So, they gained in wear protection capability as well as potential HP increases from a reduction in friction.

A synthetic oil that started out with around 75,000 psi capability SIGNIFICANTLY BENEFITTED from adding 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” per quart. It gained in wear protection capability as well as potential HP increases from a reduction in friction.
Highly ranked conventional dino oils and synthetic oils that started out with 95,000+ to 115,000+ psi capability, DID NOT BENEFIT from adding 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” per quart, regarding wear protection. But, they still would have gained in potential HP increases from a reduction in friction.

And speaking of friction reduction, I changed the oil in a small block Chevy that was in good condition. I also added 2 oz of “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” per quart, and the engine gained 200 rpm at hot idle. This engine has had numerous other oils in it over the recent years, and no other oil increased its idle speed. That confirms the friction reduction properties of this additive, which can increase HP, just as they claim.

BOTTOM LINE:
Based on the numbers from the testing performed here, we can use the following as an approximate guideline:
** Oils with “around” 80,000 psi capability or less, should experience a SIGNIFICANT BENEFIT from using the “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive”, in terms of improved wear protection capability. And they would also benefit from friction reduction.

** Oils with “around” 90,000 psi capability or higher, will probably not see any benefit from using the “Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive” in terms of wear protection capability, and may even lose a little wear protection capability. But, they would still benefit from friction reduction.

** Oils with a capability of 80,000 to 90,000 psi, should be neutral in regard to wear protection capability changes, but they would still benefit from friction reduction.

** For those interested in the wear protection capabilities and the friction reduction capabilities of the Oil Extreme products, the best value would obviously be to simply buy the Oil Extreme Motor Oil in the first place, since it already contains an optimized amount of the Oil Extreme Concentrate. As far as oil “as it comes” right out of the bottle, the 5W30 Oil Extreme Motor Oil, API SM, synthetic (per the Company, even though synthetic is not called out on the label), ranks number 2 out of 118 oils tested so far, with 110,286 psi load carrying capacity (wear protection capability), which puts it in the INCREDIBLE wear protection category. And the only “as it comes” right out of the bottle oil to beat it, is the 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SM, which only beat it by a mere 5%, and the Pennzoil does not have any special friction reduction properties.

** For those folks who still insist on running poorly ranked low performing oils, just because they favor the name on the bottle, they really should consider adding “Oil Extreme Concentrate” in order to bring the wear protection capability of those oils, up to being on par with other highly ranked high performing oils on the market.

** As oil additives go, the “Oil Extreme Concentrate” is the ONLY ADDITIVE I’ve ever tested that actually works by making all but the highest ranking oils, BETTER OVERALL than they were to begin with. And even those highest ranked oils still benefit from Oil Extreme’s friction reduction properties.

If you’d like to see my entire 118 motor oil “Wear Protection Ranking List”, along with additional motor oil tech info, here’s a link:

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

540 RAT
Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

This additive apparently increases the FILM STRENGTH if the oil tested has low film strength. It is an ADDITIVE just like all the other additives in any oil sold. It is interacting with the other additives. If the oil has high FILM STRENGTH already this ADDITIVE is not needed and shows no benefit or a loss from the clash of additives. If the oil has poor film strength this ADDITIVE is one of many that can boost film strength. That said film strength is only one of many testing measurements. You are again making claims without looking at the entire picture. What about additive clash? What does this ADDITIVE do long term. It may or may not break down or affect the ability of the other additives to correctly do their job. It could increase viscocity breakdown, reduce the effectiveness of extreme pressure additives, reduce the cold start effectiveness. or a dozen other variables. I would like to see testing after 3-5000 miles to see if you may actually have poorer protection because of the byproducts of this additive as it breaks down and combines with the dozens of other additives and byproducts of sheer. You can't take new oil and new additive, combine them and make a blanket statement regarding effectiveness without testing the same concoction at the end of its lifespan. And you are only testing one aspect of the oil, film strength.

You are repeating a lot of information in this link you have posted a dozen times already much of it either proven wrong, taken out of context or outright blatant lies. This is getting old.

Last edited by 63mako; 09-14-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 540 RAT
And obtaining accurate oil film strength data is ABSOLUTELY THE ONLY WAY to determine an oil’s wear protection capability, because an oil’s film strength is the last line of defense against metal to metal contact.
540 RAT
Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
This is one of those totally incorrect statements.

All base oils film strength will shear under stress or pressure. The real way to help prevent wear is to maintain higher levels of antiwear additives This in conjunction with a good base stock which resists breakdown to high heat.

The above is the last paragraph in this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/
Which disputes your entire theory.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive - Put to the Test

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Extreme Concentrate Additive - Put to the Test