C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are the best side pipe baffles for preformance? (open not a choice, for street)
Hooker Reverse Flow
0%
Hooker Glasspack
8.57%
STS
54.29%
Sweet Thunder
17.14%
Other
20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Baffled by Side Pipe Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Rhyn-o
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Baffled by Side Pipe Baffles

I am in the process of installing side pipes on my '72 BB and could use some advice.

I bought the Hooker chrome headers and chrome side pipes. I also purchased the hooker reverse flow baffles but they are still in box and i think i am returning them after reading about their restrictive properties.

What i would like to know is: what are the preferred baffles for performance?

Yes, i have read lots of threads on this but i can't seem to lock anything down as definitive. If you have data on this, feel free to share!!!

Hooker Reverse flow
Hooker Glasspack
STS
Sweet Thunder
Other
Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Hooker Max Flow are probably the best for the buck...but not on the poll. And I would not even consider Hooker Reverse Flow in the "Performance" category....way too much restriction.

"Go with the Flow"....
Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

STS flow well and are tunable.

I love mine.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:24 PM
spot99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhyn-o
what are the preferred baffles for performance?

Yes, i have read lots of threads on this but i can't seem to lock anything down as definitive. If you have data on this, feel free to share!!!

Hooker Reverse flow
Hooker Glasspack
STS
Sweet Thunder
Other
I have no data. Unbaffled are louder. Free flow exhausts require one to make a choice between low end torque and high end horsepower. The later of which is sorta useless. (like the runway behind you) I vote you leave it as is.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Flyinace3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use max Flo's in mine. This is the first summer with my side pipes but so far I like them . the only issue I've had is the max flo baffles seem to be too small for a snug fit in the side pipes and would rattle at times. I've since made a fix to correct the rattling.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I have/had a VERY rusty and nasty set of reverse flows in my sidepipes. They are quiet and restrictive.

Some people may LIKE quiet and restrictive. But they were part of the reason my engine was next to useless near 5k RPM.

Without question, reverse flow hookers are the most restrictive baffle.

I've been between the Chambered Exhaust (Sweet Thunder?) and the STS spiral baffles.

I don't think there is any discussion that the STS baffles represent the greatest performance capacity. The only question is how loud they are. The good thing is that you can drill the end-cap of the center tube to tailor the baffles to your "endurance" of noise level. The bigger the hole, the greater the performance. And noise.

I am unquestionably getting the STS baffles. That's what I've decided on. I just hope my wife doesn't feel uncomfortable with the noise level at cruise. I'm PRETTY SURE it will be OK, but I'll feel better once they are installed and I'm puttering around.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Another option not listed on your poll are the VettePacks from Classic Chambered exhaust. Best of both worlds, Sound and Flow. Chambered exhaust sound with more deep sound because of the resonator that also helps with the volume.

Coupe vs Convertible will make a big difference in the How loud it sounds inside the car.

I started with the Max Flows and took them out since they were really loud with my engine setup and had a deep annoying tone that didn't change throughout the rpm range. I then tried the Hooker regular glass packs that sound Okay but kinda blah and the performance dropped compared to the Max Flows.

When I had the VettePacks built (1st ones ) the performance returned and the volume level was a little bit less than the Max Flows but the tone is much better. Don't get me wrong these things will get your attention when you get into the loud pedal which is to be expected but cruising speed and on the highway its good. I tend to lean towards the center when my wife talks in order to hear her but it's not too bad.

Granted with a BB and depending on the cam and compression the sound and volume level will be different from one car to another.

Good luck with your choice.

Eric

Last edited by palmbeachvette76; 09-13-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Flyinace3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a sound clip from inside my car with the stock exhaust and after with sidepipes and max flo inserts

Last edited by Flyinace3; 09-12-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% happy with the way my STS baffles sound. From the inside they are loud and get annoying after awhile. Although, I've gotten many compliments (from the outside of the car) and even from 1 of my neighbors (LOL) of how good the car sounds. I'm sure some of my other neighbors find it annoying too. But at least 1 neighbor thinks it sounds cool. But if you are performance minded then you probably ought to go with the STS, as I've heard they are much less restrictive than the rest. You can't hardly have performance AND quiet baffles when it comes to side pipes. You have to choose one or the other. I sure like the way my side-pipes look on the car though...I couldn't give them up and go back to mufflers just based on the looks alone...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is how mine sound:

Old 09-12-2013, 03:55 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

speedway sells auger inserts.
They are really cheap, but you have to make your own pipes to put em in.

I'm pretty sure these are what STS baffles are based on, or vis versa?

I have 2 in some 3 1/2" custom pipes, sound great, great performance
Old 09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
VetteNURSE
Racer

I started with sweet thunder 2.5" a little too loud for me, not crazy loud but more than I wanted. Changed to glass packs and am happy with the sound. I would sell the sweet thunders cheap. Pm me.

Mike
Old 09-12-2013, 06:06 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 581 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i have sweet thunder 2.5 mufflers, i think a tad less noise would be perfect. so I'm thinking of pulling them out drilling holes in the narrow part of the tube and wrap it with a sound absorbing material, i don't think flow would be hurt much.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
Another option not listed on your poll are the VettePacks from Classic Chambered exhaust. Best of both worlds, Sound and Flow. Chambered exhaust sound with more deep sound because of the resonator that also helps with the volume.

Coupe vs Convertible will make a big difference in the How loud it sounds inside the car.

I started with the Max Flows and took them out since they were really loud with my engine setup and had a deep annoying tone that didn't change throughout the rpm range. I then tried the Hooker regular glass packs that sound Okay but kinda blah and the performance dropped compared to the Max Flows.

When I had the VettePacks built (1st ones ) the performance returned and the volume level was a little bit less than the Max Flows but the tone is much better. Don't get me wrong these things will get your attention when you get into the loud pedal which is to be expected but cruising speed and on the highway its good. I tend to lean towards the center when my wife talks in order to hear her but it's not too bad.

Granted with a BB and depending on the cam and compression the sound and volume level will be different from one car to another.

Good luck with your choice.

Eric

1976 Corvette Vettepack side pipe inserts - Thumpr cam - YouTube

Eric,

You bad boy, when are you going to post some drive-by videos of your car with those Vettepacks?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Rhyn-o
3rd Gear

I thank you all for your input. I am leaning towards the Vettepacks right now with the STS as a close second. Once i am all done, i will post a video.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:56 PM
1977L48
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I vote for vettepacks, I got a set on order now after seeing Super6's video of his.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I am looking for the best of both worlds...

Open- straight pipe-loud-minimal HP loss- when you want it.

But for the longer cruises - cops -nice and quiet...can deal w/ a little HP loss.

Here are 'Peacemakers' for Motorcycles- use an electric cut out to switch between the two.

I was thinking about getting something made like this-

Exhaust runs through a basic straight perforated pipe- then flip a switch( I know not a real good artist rendition)shuts the straight pipe closed. The exhaust flows from perforated pipe to perforated pipe then out... This design is for factory covers...but something could easily be done for inserts like the Peacemakers.

What do you think?

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To Baffled by Side Pipe Baffles

Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 PM
auavette
Instructor

STS here
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Vettepacks here....no complaints at all. Nice tolerable tone at idle, at wot they get get prety loud but still sound nice.

I actually think they're slightly more quiet than my 2.5" dual under car flowmaster 40 series setup. At wot is a different story though!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Guys, I modeled the inserts (lengthwise) based on the Hooker inserts - 33-1/4" long overall. In the past few weeks in talking with customers, I believe the inserts for the C-3 Vettes can be quite a bit longer, which will give me more options on tuning & dBA control. So I ask you, with the inserts properly positioned inside the 4" OD sidepipes (slid in just so there is no interference at the inlets of the pipes), how much longer can they be before reaching the end of the straightaway of the pipes?

Quick Reply: Baffled by Side Pipe Baffles