C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission for 78

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Team Rockfish
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission for 78

Hey Guys,
Am running into an ongoing problem trying to convert a 1978 from a 3-speed automatic to 4- or 5-speed manual.
It's got a 500-hp engine with about 450 ft pounds torque and, as would be expected, we blew out the original automatic from the factor after a 150-mph run.
Did a ton of research and ordered a 5-speed Tremec and conversion kit from Keisler Engineering in Tenn. 3 months ago.
Promised delivery date was Aug. 30
I called to confirm shipment late Aug. 30, and you can guess the answer.
New shipping date after much haggling was set for Sept. 12. Needless to say, the box did not hit the shipping docks.
Worse yet, they had forgotten our 4 hours of phone calls on Sept. 3 and finally today admitted they could NOT say when they could ship the 5-speed Tremec and conversion kit.

SOOOOO -- anybody have an good ideas????
Actually, I would like to go with a 4-speed manual with NO overdrive to be able to run SVRA events (can't modify to 5-speed). Of course, conversion kit is quite necessary.
At this point figure we should consider ALL options.
Thank you for your interest and help.
Appreciate you reading this far.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

The TKO is going to be the easiest to handle the power (or T56). You could always cancel with Keisler and go with American Powertrain, Hurst Driveline, or a few of the others that offer the C3 conversion. Probably get it out to you in a timely manner.

As far as the 4 speed, liberty gears offers a service to eliminate the OD gear in a Tremec. Not sure if that qualifies. A stock 4 speed would have to be built up and I'm not too familiar in that department. You will also be dealing with lower numerically 1st gear ratios.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Team Rockfish
Heel & Toe

Thank you much Ibanez! Will try American Powertrain/Hurst Driveline
Already cancelled order with Keisler
Don't have forever to wait!
And their customer response was TERRIBLE!!!
``I don't remember your order and don't have any notes of ever talking to you,'' Keisler president Dave said 9 days after 2 hours of chats!!!
OK -- but he did remember taking my payment in full 3 months prior!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I swapped my 4 speed out to a T56 6 speed that I bought from a guy parting out a 94' Trans Am. I also have about 500 hp. I have a thread on the swap I did.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...gs-list-7.html
Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Look into a Richmond Trans.They have different gear ratios and are the same length as a TH350..Here's my write up..http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...am-change.html
I changed out the cross member after that write up with a GForce 700r4,it bolted right up with just a little trimming and new trans mount holes.Easy mod no welding needed...
Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Team Rockfish
Heel & Toe

Appreciate the information!! GREAT writeup/pix BTW!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If you're all that serious about the tracking (or any type of truly high-perf driving), IMCO you're likely a good candidate for having a legit racing 4-speed Muncie or BW based dog-box built. Also, if you haven't already done, I'd start looking at relatively lightweight flywheels and clutch assemblies. Whatever becomes your transmission of choice, you do NOT want a heavy setup (nor a slow box or crap shifter) hindering your ability to quickly and accurately sync revs/shifts. My $.02, free of charge.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Team Rockfish
Heel & Toe

Smells like a good idea Mr. Skunk!! thank you much!!! Looked at the Muncie line tonight -- appears it will hold up under 500-hp pressure if you don't abuse it
Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Rockfish
I would like to go with a 4-speed manual with NO overdrive to be able to run SVRA events (can't modify to 5-speed). Of course, conversion kit is quite necessary.

SVRA events with what sounds like a fairly stock 1978 car? is that like the SVRA vintage racing group? If your interested I have most of a conversion kit (pedals & linkage) I also have a complete 7.25" Quartermaster triple disc and a Borg Warner Super T-10, send a PM if you or anyone else is interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Transmission for 78

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission for 78