C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Suspension Rebuild And Steering Wheel Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front End Suspension Rebuild And Steering Wheel Alignment Question

Probably a stupid question but I have to ask anyway.

I just finished replacing all of the parts from the front suspension rebuild kit. Tie Rods left/right, upper and lower along with Tie Rod Sleeve. Ball Joints left/right, upper and lower. Idler Arm, Wheel Bearings inner and outer both sides. Also along with the rest of the parts from Eckler's Suspension Rebuild Kit.

All looks good less my steering wheel alignment. It's now just a tad to left and it's pissing me off. When I take it to get it aligned will this be corrected at their shop or did I miss something with the installation process?

Thanks...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

They should fix it, but I would mention that you want the steering wheel centered just to be sure.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:03 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
They should fix it, but I would mention that you want the steering wheel centered just to be sure.
Sounds easy enough.

Thanks...
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 PM
76stingracer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to verify that the steering gear box is centered first. Then center the steering wheel and then get the toe adjusted with the steering wheel centered. Just adjusting the toe to center a steering wheel may set the steering gear box off center.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Steering column shaft should have an index mark or a flat at 12 o'clock position (straight up) [end of shaft that fits into ragjoint]. That position should be maintained when engaging it with the ragjoint. And the other side of the ragjoint needs to be engaged with the steering box input shaft when the steering box has been properly centered.

To center the steering box, the unit should be actuated from full-lock left to full-lock right while counting rotations (to nearest 1/8th turn). Then the box is returned from full-lock right exactly one-half that number of rotations. When centered, there should be a mark or flat on the steering box input shaft and it should be at 12 o'clock position, also. If there is no orientation mark on the input shaft, just leave it at the center position you just found. Then it should be engaged with the ragjoint.

With the steering column, ragjoint, and steering box all aligned, you should check position of the steering wheel. If it is off-center more than 30 degrees, you can remove the horn button and the 6 retaining screws for the wheel, and reposition the steering wheel for the closest position to center that is available with the 6 screw hole locations.

Any remaining error will be removed when the front-end alignment is done. This is accomplished with the Toe-IN/OUT adjustments on the tie rods. The alignment place should have the wheel properly centered when traveling straight on a FLAT stretch of road (no crown on it).
Old 09-04-2013, 06:23 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The pulling happened to me when I finished my front end rebuild it was mostly the tires had worn offset a little, so I rotated the rear tires up front and it was almost perfect!
I've been cuisin for over a year without an alignment but I will definitely get one with new tires. The BFGs are starting to dry rot anyway ....

Get notified of new replies

To Front End Suspension Rebuild And Steering Wheel Alignment Question

Quick Reply: Front End Suspension Rebuild And Steering Wheel Alignment Question