C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender / Fender Skirt Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:44 PM
roy69
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Fender / Fender Skirt Question

The fender skirts in my front wheel wells are 'sealed' to the fenders with some sort of caulk/adhesive/sealant. I never paid it much attention, however, today I noticed that on the drivers side, the 'sealant' is cracked and falling out right at the joint.

Can you tell me what should be used in this location?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Roy,
If that picture shows the joint between the inside of the fender and the outer lip of the apron I'd say there's likely been some bodywork in that area. There would typically be a smooth joint with just some 'bond' ooze in that location.
It's a little difficult to tell with the primer/paint? on the apron.
Does what's there feel hard like 'bond' or semi-soft like some kind of filler or sealer?
Regards,
Alan

This is the rear of the right-side front wheel well but it does show the typical fender to apron joint.

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-02-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Your photo was too close. I can not tell where it is located on the car. Back up so I can have a reference where it is. I think I know where you are talking about...but do not want to comment until I am sure.

DUB
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM
roy69
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Roy,
If that picture shows the joint between the inside of the fender and the outer lip of the apron I'd say there's likely been some bodywork in that area. There would typically be a smooth joint with just some 'bond' ooze in that location.
It's a little difficult to tell with the primer/paint? on the apron.
Does what's there feel hard like 'bond' or semi-soft like some kind of filler or sealer?
Regards,
Alan

This is the rear of the right-side front wheel well but it does show the typical fender to apron joint.
Thanks Alan,
The passenger side is as you describe. The material used on the drivers side is hard. That may be some of the problem too, as it is cracking and breaking apart.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM
roy69
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Your photo was too close. I can not tell where it is located on the car. Back up so I can have a reference where it is. I think I know where you are talking about...but do not want to comment until I am sure.

DUB
DUB, If I back up, you can't see the flaw area. If you were to pull your drivers side wheel, stick your head in the opening over the disc rotor and look forward, you would get the same view on your car. The blue on the left side of the picture is the edge of the wheel opening.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Roy,
Here's a picture from the left-side front on my no-hit 71.
Hope this shows you what you're looking for.
You can see the texture on the apron, inner-side of the fender and the 'bond'. It appears as though it was 'smoothed' with a brush of some sort while it was still soft. It's rock hard now.
Regards,
Alan

Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 AM
roy69
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Roy,
Here's a picture from the left-side front on my no-hit 71.
Hope this shows you what you're looking for.
You can see the texture on the apron, inner-side of the fender and the 'bond'. It appears as though it was 'smoothed' with a brush of some sort while it was still soft. It's rock hard now.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks Alan. I haven't been on the forum much lately, but I should have remembered that you'd pull through with a great picture of what things should look like.

Get notified of new replies

To Fender / Fender Skirt Question

Quick Reply: Fender / Fender Skirt Question