C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Trans Cooler/Location on '80 L48 with A/C

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Best Trans Cooler/Location on '80 L48 with A/C

Wanting to determine best location for a potential trans cooler purchase, I popped the hood and found there is insufficient clearance to put a 12"x12" trans cooler in front of my A/C condenser; the hood is way too close already when open. Best bet if I were to place in front of the condenser would be lower 1/3 of the condenser. Is it better to mount the trans cooler out in the air stream near where the vacuum can is (if going with a larger trans cooler)?

I'd appreciate any pictures of trans coolers installed on 78-82 vettes with A/C condenser in place. Am thinking something like the cooler I purchased several years ago (about 3 rows of tube in fins) is about all I can fit without impacting the hood when open.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have installed an auxiliary cooler on an 1980 a while ago. I made brackets that attached this style of cooler and to the front of the condenser.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/13503.html I prefer this type of cooler versus the type that has a tube that has a tube that goes back and forth...as per being highly recommended by my transmission guy. A cooler that looks like a mini radiator he stated was best.

It will fit.

DUB
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

How much will it impact the condenser's ability to...well...condense, I guess. In other words, you're putting something hot in front of the AC condenser, will it have a measurable affect on the AC? I've been contemplating the same thing, and have been thinking that behind the condenser, in front of the radiator might work well.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Best Trans Cooler/Location on '80 L48 with A/C

Quick Reply: Best Trans Cooler/Location on '80 L48 with A/C