C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecklers chrome Brake booster & MC ....any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM
pistolpete
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ecklers chrome Brake booster & MC ....any good?

Hey All:

I'm in the planning stages of doing a 4-spd conversion on my '68. I've read that while the dash is apart, it would be a good time to replace the brake booster. My current set-up works just fine, but it is 25+ years old and "non-vette".

So wondering if anyone has experience with this chrome Booster-MC combo from Ecklers:

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1982.html

I've done some searching in the forums and not coming up with much. As this is non-critical component, I can hold-off, but Ecklers is running a 10-20% sale promotion over the Labor day weekend. That would bring this $400 combo down to $355.

My thoughts:
Pros: Sure would be easy to keep clean.
Cons: may make my brakes squishy; may have clearance problems (Borgeson Power steering)

Any advice/thoughts/suggestions are welcome ...thanks for reading.

Last edited by pistolpete; 08-31-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:21 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

why would you think the brakes would be squishy and if you do a search on this forum you will find many people using the Borgeson steering with no master cylinder interference issues
Old 09-01-2013, 03:19 PM
pistolpete
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MelWff
why would you think the brakes would be squishy
Found complants of squishy power brakes noted here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-corvette.html
Maybe they were having problems because they were mixing and matching parts. Maybe they don't know how to bleed brakes. Maybe it squishy because the product is a shiny 'made in China' POS ....I don't know - that's why I'm asking.

Originally Posted by MelWff
and if you do a search on this forum you will find many people using the Borgeson steering with no master cylinder interference issues
Not too worried about clearing the MC. I have borgenson steering and had clearance problems with my booster. So if any forum members have any experience with this particular product, good or bad, I would like to know.

Last edited by pistolpete; 09-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped by Ecklers Friday on my way home from a trip up north. They had one on display in the showroom I do not know how it preforms but it sure looks good.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:16 PM
pistolpete
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Roco71
I stopped by Ecklers Friday on my way home from a trip up north. They had one on display in the showroom I do not know how it preforms but it sure looks good.
Appreciate your eyewitness account, Roco71 ....I think that it would dress-up my engine compartment nicely.

At this point, it's probably best that I hold-off on making a decision until I get this 4-spd conversion underway. This will be a winter project and if I need to return the booster assembly, their restocking fee will be too costly.

cheers
-Pete
Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I have a Chrome Booster that I got from Booster Dewey in the Portland Oregon area. This is all He dose He rebuilds Boosters for Mucle Cars. He probably has a couple that He has Chromed, with the majority being corectly retored to original finish. I have little or no doubt that they are Chromed localy in the USA. I have had mine 6 years or more with no issues. If You get one from Him you will know that it started out as the corect GM part and has a proven track record.

Get notified of new replies

To Ecklers chrome Brake booster & MC ....any good?

Quick Reply: Ecklers chrome Brake booster & MC ....any good?