C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Oil Analysis Levels

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Used Oil Analysis Levels

Has anyone had their engine oil analyzed for wear levels.
I am not interested in high dollar roller motors or synthetic oil's.

Just plain old conventional oil from flat tappet motors.

I do not need to be talked down to by guys with $10,000 motors running synthetic oils.
Although comparing wear levels might be interesting LOL.

Just want to see what levels of iron, aluminum, lead etc were found in your oil - thank you !
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Why don't you contact the oil companies that have more than likely performed this type of test.

Just a thought.

DUB
Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by DUB
Why don't you contact the oil companies that have more than likely performed this type of test.

Just a thought.

DUB
Why would any oil company have specific wear level test results for his or anyone else's engine on this forum?

Last edited by 7t2vette; 08-22-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I use an oil analysis company for my diesel. $25 a shot, and I get a report back with all of the levels of every metal in the engine, plus info on fuel and coolant contamination in the oil. It's running a full synthetic and I can get an idea about when to change oil.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

See below

Last edited by QIK59; 08-22-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TimAT
I use an oil analysis company for my diesel. $25 a shot, and I get a report back with all of the levels of every metal in the engine, plus info on fuel and coolant contamination in the oil. It's running a full synthetic and I can get an idea about when to change oil.
This is exactly what I'm talking about ; but for flat tappet motors running conventional oils.

I already tested a whole bunch of new oils just out of curiosity for zinc and phosphorus levels.

Now I want to see what people are finding using their own "fave vor right" oil LOL

7t2 - I don't think DUB comprehended what it was I asking.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by QIK59
Just want to see what levels of iron, aluminum, lead etc were found in your oil - thank you !
I comprehended on what you wrote. As we all know that the metals in and engine from one to another are basically the same. Bearings, lifters and camshaft, crankshaft are very similar. I know there are exceptions...but for the mainstream...they are similar.

SO...knowing this...and knowing oil companies run tests on wear effects of oil and where the oil can break down and fail its lubrication properties and or moisture saturation...and I am sure they tested what metals were in the oil after this abuse test they conducted.

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Why would any oil company have specific wear level test results for his or anyone else's engine on this forum?
They wouldn't...but they would have results for the above question. Which is what I was responding to. Lighten up!

DUB
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I think it's obvious what metals would be found, the op is asking about the amount of each metal or element normally found in our engines oil. Oil analysis is a tool best used to show a trend of the internal wear of your engine or other component over time. This is commonly done on heavy equipment (Caterpillar field service tech here) and can give an indication of impending failures or wear levels to be able to schedule repairs or oil changes accordingly.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
I comprehended on what you wrote. As we all know that the metals in and engine from one to another are basically the same. Bearings, lifters and camshaft, crankshaft are very similar. I know there are exceptions...but for the mainstream...they are similar.

SO...knowing this...and knowing oil companies run tests on wear effects of oil and where the oil can break down and fail its lubrication properties and or moisture saturation...and I am sure they tested what metals were in the oil after this abuse test they conducted.

They wouldn't...but they would have results for the above question. Which is what I was responding to. Lighten up!

DUB
Think you are suffering the effects of to much solvent exposure as you STILL DON'T GET IT.

I WANT TO COMPARE OIL ANALYSIS RESULTS WITH OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD THERE USED OIL TESTED - to see what ppm levels of wear products they are finding.

With all the experts on here on motor oil and zinc levels it would be nice to see what the actual results people have found with their particular "pet" oil.
Or else all the forum "discussion" about what oil to use is pure nonsense - just opinion with no facts to support or verify these wonderfully opinionated statements.

Thank you '75 !
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You can find any information you need about virgin oil analysis (VOA) or Used oil analysis (UOA). This site is an invaluable resource.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=3&page=1

Last edited by 63mako; 08-24-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Think you are suffering the effects of to much solvent exposure as you STILL DON'T GET IT.

I WANT TO COMPARE OIL ANALYSIS RESULTS WITH OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD THERE USED OIL TESTED - to see what ppm levels of wear products they are finding.
Then you misunderstand how trend analysis works.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Then you misunderstand how trend analysis works.
Mike you misunderstand what I'm trying do - I AM NOT DOING TREND ANALYSIS.

I change my Corvette's oil once a year whether it needs it or not

All I'm trying to accomplish here is compare wear element levels for equivalent motors using a variety of motor oils.

I would assume (as some people on the forum try to beat into everyones head) that the high zoot motor oils should result in lower wear (protect their motors better ??) and I would think that should be exhibited in lower levels of wear mat'ls (elements) ??

Last edited by QIK59; 08-24-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 63mako
You can find any information you need about virgin oil analysis (VOA) or Used oil analysis (UOA). This site is an invaluable resource.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=3&page=1
Thank you Mr Mako , I am aware of the Bob site.
But find it difficult to find specific info there.

I posted on here because we have a limited number of engine configurations - I would assume 3/4's of C3's would be small block's.

When I went on the UOA posts as per your suggestion - found there were over 500 posts from every motor under the sun : Ecotec, VW etc etc ad nauseum.
I am not going to wade through endless posts hoping to find UOA results for what is now an obsolete motor (SB Chev).

I have spent a couple of hundred $ VOA testing old oils I had around just out of curiosity for my own information.
Oils that Bob doesn't have listed.

I just pulled a sample (after 2200 miles of use) of the oil that I have decided to use for the long term, to compare the wear element levels with the early 90's oil that had been in the car for 3 years with minimal mileage and had been fortified with a jug of EOS.

Have you had UOA analysis done ?
What where your wear element levels ?

Last edited by QIK59; 08-24-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

With all the experts on here on motor oil and zinc levels it would be nice to see what the actual results people have found with their particular "pet" oil.
Or else all the forum "discussion" about what oil to use is pure nonsense - just opinion with no facts to support or verify these wonderfully opinionated statements.

Thank you '75 !
TRUST ME...I GOT IT THE FIRST TIME.

At the time I posted my response...no one had submitted any information. So...trying to "do a good turn daily"...I though that if no information was coming to you that was to your liking...I mentioned calling the people who know this information as FACT from a specific CONTROLLED TEST given. Because I know you know that 100 people giving you feedback with results...no two will be the same....and can be quite different due to "run" time versus mileage on the oil used...along with numerous other variables that would make the results pointless and inconclusive as a data compiling/comparison information source.

I hope your quest gives you the information you are looking for.

DUB
Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

All I'm trying to accomplish here is compare wear element levels for equivalent motors using a variety of motor oils.

I would assume (as some people on the forum try to beat into everyones head) that the high zoot motor oils should result in lower wear (protect their motors better ??) and I would think that should be exhibited in lower levels of wear mat'ls (elements) ??
Once a year whether it needs it or not? Who would give a crap, just change it. You're all interested in the contaminate levels of something you ignore? Kinda stupid IMO.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SH-60B
Once a year whether it needs it or not? Who would give a crap, just change it. You're all interested in the contaminate levels of something you ignore? Kinda stupid IMO.
It was a joke okay or did the smiley face not come through ??

How many miles do you think we drive these things up here ?

Get notified of new replies

To Used Oil Analysis Levels

Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

This thread is an exercise in futility. There are 150 HP cars and 500 HP cars. There are cars that never see over 3000 RPM and some that see 7000 RPM every time they are driven. Cars rarely driven and cars that are daily drivers. There are 45 year old engines with low miles and 45 year old engines with high miles. There are stock hydraulic and solid cams and aftermarket hydraulic and solid cams. Recent rebuilds and old rebuilds. Rebuilds with loose tolerances and iron rings and rebuilds with tight tolerances and chrome rings. There are hundreds of conventional oils made by dozens of manufacturers with multiple viscosities and multiple additive packages from each. All of the above differences will throw variables into the equation that will cause differing levels of metals in the UOA. You end up with millions of combinations none of which will match anyone else. I believe the total reason for this post can be summed up here.
"I do not need to be talked down to by guys with $10,000 motors running synthetic oils."
There is plenty of information and confrontation on bobistheoilguy.com, the oil sticky posted by Billa and the film strength ratings posted by 540 RAT without throwing another intentionally confrontational thread into the mix.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Comparing what one engine generates in debris to another is futile. Comparing one sample of what one engine generates to one sample of another is even more so.

Presuming that increased levels of ZDDP (above a certain minimum threshold) will result in a measurable decrease in wear is very misguided.

Oil analysis has it's uses, but it must be done frequently and precisely to have any value. The cost and inconvenience easily outweighs possible benefits in 99.9% of cases.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:10 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 63mako
This thread is an exercise in futility. There are 150 HP cars and 500 HP cars. There are cars that never see over 3000 RPM and some that see 7000 RPM every time they are driven. Cars rarely driven and cars that are daily drivers. There are 45 year old engines with low miles and 45 year old engines with high miles. There are stock hydraulic and solid cams and aftermarket hydraulic and solid cams. Recent rebuilds and old rebuilds. Rebuilds with loose tolerances and iron rings and rebuilds with tight tolerances and chrome rings. There are hundreds of conventional oils made by dozens of manufacturers with multiple viscosities and multiple additive packages from each. All of the above differences will throw variables into the equation that will cause differing levels of metals in the UOA. You end up with millions of combinations none of which will match anyone else. I believe the total reason for this post can be summed up here.
"I do not need to be talked down to by guys with $10,000 motors running synthetic oils."
There is plenty of information and confrontation on bobistheoilguy.com, the oil sticky posted by Billa and the film strength ratings posted by 540 RAT without throwing another intentionally confrontational thread into the mix.
ANY wear element info from any kind of SB would be nice, I was looking for run of the mill street motors, but anything at all is what I'm now conceding down to ?

As far as millions of combinations - the test labs compare the test results to values that are considered to be standard indicators of concern - there must be some fairly std thresholds for normal and out of normal levels ?

Do all those millions of SB motors wear out at a million different mileages ?
Almost any street type motor should be "good" for 100,000 miles - regardless of what combination of components are used.

With all the "discussion" on this forum about motor oil on this site : you mean to say no one on this forum has ever had their motor oil tested ??

I don't know why would you be bothered about my comment about that I don't like being talked down to ?

It is up to me to say whether this thread is an exercise in futility - I am the one who asked for information.

You seem to have a lot of insight and I will ask again : Did you Mr Mako ever get your used oil tested ?? and what were your wear element levels ?

Thank you

Quick Reply: Used Oil Analysis Levels