C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you brakes performing. My 1978 results.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 359 Posts

Default How are you brakes performing. My 1978 results.

Over the past 2 years I have been looking at upgrading the performance of my stock 1978 brakes. The car is mainly used for road track driving.

The first graph is using semi-metallic standard auto shop pads.
Max 7.4 G

The second graph is using ac delco organic stock pads
Max 8.95 G

The Third graph is using Hawk HPS Plus Race Pads.
Max 9.2 G

With the metallic pads I could not lock the tires as shown with the steady G Graph. The ac-delco did lock up and was harder to control a smooth stop. The varying G ready shows me trying to threshold brake.
Same goes for the Hawk HPS Plus Pads. The ac delco pads would only lock up at lower speeds and the HPS Plus pads I could lock up and any speed.
As far as brake effort the metallic pads required the most brake pedal pressure, the ac delco required initial hard break pressure then threshold braking, and the HPS plus required little effort but threshold breaking to start with. It was too easy to lock the tires. I am very happy with the Hawk HPS Plus pads. Everything else is stock, calipers and rotors. With these pads the weak link is the tires. They are 255-60-15 BF TA's. I will be adding Michelin Super Sports 245ZR4518's once I find a 18x8 wheel that fits my 1978 without adapters. Anyone else have any brake stories / testing.

I was looking at getting bigger brakes but until I have better tires I don't see the point.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 08-21-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting results.
Same tires as yours, but using the Autozone cheapy pads (20 bucks), I could lock up at 70mph, don't know about multiple times heated, but I doubt it. Modulated pretty well too.
Of course pavement and temp has a lot to do with it too.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by noonie
Interesting results.
Same tires as yours, but using the Autozone cheapy pads (20 bucks), I could lock up at 70mph, don't know about multiple times heated, but I doubt it. Modulated pretty well too.
Of course pavement and temp has a lot to do with it too.
I can lock up the cheap pads but not stopping from 85 MPH. These tests were stopping from 85 MPH. Total 4 Runs each. The metallic pads were starting to soften by the 4th pass. Ac Delco's were best 2nd and third pass. The HPS Plus were best 2-4th pass. They needed some heating to work best but no change in breaking.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 08-16-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,908 Likes on 930 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I've got this one where I did some testing with my stock brakes and then some Wilwoods. It was a lot of fun and interesting!

JIM

http://www.carsandparts.com/Articles...e-braking-test
Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I've got this one where I did some testing with my stock brakes and then some Wilwoods. It was a lot of fun and interesting!

JIM

http://www.carsandparts.com/Articles...e-braking-test
Thanks for sharing. What kind of pad material was used during testing ?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,908 Likes on 930 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

It has the BP-10 Wilwood lining. I don't road race it. I street drive and drag race. It's a very heavy car (3850 Lbs at the line). When I'm drag racing the brakes are cold when I pull to the line...so they need to do all they can on the first hit at the end of the track in the 145+ MPH range. No time for warming them up.

JIM
Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Nice Analysis! The C3 brake system when functioning correctly is an excellent system for the street-they can fade though in road racing. Like you, I have a completely stock system with SS calipers and stock rotors BUT use Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads (for years now) with SS braided steel lines and have found the system to be terrific on the street. Also, like you, I have found the limiting factor for braking to be the stock 255/60/15 tires which are all basically just a standard passenger car tire dressed up with nice white lettering. I switched to SLP 17 inch rims with 255/45/17 ZR ultra high performance summer only tires about 5 years ago and holy smokes did these tires change the braking, steering and handling of the car-I would never use the OEM tires again!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I use a vacuum pump for my booster due to my engine's low vacuum. I have been considering adding hydroboost so I can remove the vacuum pump and should add a quicker response to my braking. My entire brake system is new with all stainless steel lines (solid and braided), VBP stainless steel o-ring calipers, and Hawk HPS pads.

I haven't done any testing, but maybe I'll do a before and after if I do the hydroboost. Tires are 275/40 ZR17 Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance.

Last edited by MIKE80; 08-16-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

I would be interested in seeing your results since i would not predict any difference in brake performance with and without hydroboost just like there is no brake performance difference between manual and power brakes-hydroboost will only effect the brake feel, not the actual performance which is limited solely to the actual brake components-calipers, rotors, brake pads, and tires. the physics of these basic brake components solely dictate brake performance-no way around it.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Temperature range has a huge impact on some of this also. Here's a chart on some of the lower Cf compound street pads which shows the above BP10 as well as some other compounds.

One of the most difficult things is trying to find one pad that does it all. That won't really work out the best as pads are a compromise of things; temps, Cf (Mu), wear rates, rotor wear and cost. For most folks you'll soon find that your best results are pad specific applications.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I would be interested in seeing your results since i would not predict any difference in brake performance with and without hydroboost just like there is no brake performance difference between manual and power brakes-hydroboost will only effect the brake feel, not the actual performance which is limited solely to the actual brake components-calipers, rotors, brake pads, and tires. the physics of these basic brake components solely dictate brake performance-no way around it.
I think it's a pressure issue that I'm not getting the response I would like to see. Plus, it seems like I need to work the pedal harder than I should. Everything is new and functioning properly. Maybe it's because the vacuum pump needs to kick on every time I apply the brakes, not sure. What I'm thinking is that the Hydroboost should speed up the braking response time with the added pressure from the hydraulics compared to relying on manual or vacuum assist, and take less pressure to work the brake pedal.

But, on the other hand, maybe you are right and it's just me, wanting more out of my brakes.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MIKE80
I think it's a pressure issue that I'm not getting the response I would like to see. Plus, it seems like I need to work the pedal harder than I should. Everything is new and functioning properly. Maybe it's because the vacuum pump needs to kick on every time I apply the brakes, not sure. What I'm thinking is that the Hydroboost should speed up the braking response time with the added pressure from the hydraulics compared to relying on manual or vacuum assist, and take less pressure to work the brake pedal.

But, on the other hand, maybe you are right and it's just me, wanting more out of my brakes.
It's sounds like in your case that Hydroboost may help since your issue seems to be not enough brake boost from a lack of vacuum and a delay from the external pump kicking on. Let us know what you find.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Nice Analysis! The C3 brake system when functioning correctly is an excellent system for the street-they can fade though in road racing. Like you, I have a completely stock system with SS calipers and stock rotors BUT use Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads (for years now) with SS braided steel lines and have found the system to be terrific on the street. Also, like you, I have found the limiting factor for braking to be the stock 255/60/15 tires which are all basically just a standard passenger car tire dressed up with nice white lettering. I switched to SLP 17 inch rims with 255/45/17 ZR ultra high performance summer only tires about 5 years ago and holy smokes did these tires change the braking, steering and handling of the car-I would never use the OEM tires again!
Yah the tire issues. I want to run with Michelin super sport 245x45Zr 18
I don't think you can buy the SLP 17" anymore. I am having a hard time finding a nice looking 18x8 0 offset wheel. I don't want to add wheel adapters for road track driving. Its bad enough I have higher maintenance on tires / Pads / Rotors I don't want to add bearings and spindles buy using wheel adapters, I believe the wheel adapters move the load bearing stress to far out from the bearings adding more stress, unless someone can convince me it doesn't matter. But simple engineering tells me other wise. What tires are you running in 17" did you match the overall diameter to OEM's ?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
I don't think you can buy the SLP 17" anymore. I am having a hard time finding a nice looking 18x8 0 offset wheel. I don't want to add wheel adapters for road track driving. Its bad enough I have higher maintenance on tires / Pads / Rotors I don't want to add bearings and spindles buy using wheel adapters, I believe the wheel adapters move the load bearing stress to far out from the bearings adding more stress, unless someone can convince me it doesn't matter. But simple engineering tells me other wise. What tires are you running in 17" did you match the overall diameter to OEM's ?
255/45/17 ZR Kuhmo Ecsta SPT front
255/50/17 ZR Kuhmo Ecsta SPT Rear-same overall diameter as 255/60/15
Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MIKE80
I use a vacuum pump for my booster due to my engine's low vacuum. I have been considering adding hydroboost so I can remove the vacuum pump and should add a quicker response to my braking. My entire brake system is new with all stainless steel lines (solid and braided), VBP stainless steel o-ring calipers, and Hawk HPS pads.

I haven't done any testing, but maybe I'll do a before and after if I do the hydroboost. Tires are 275/40 ZR17 Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance.
That would be good if you could post some results. I think this helps everyone who thinks there brakes are not good enough. I am going to run the same G-Force test using my C6 2010 GS and see how this compares.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:10 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

That would be good if you could post some results. I think this helps everyone who thinks there brakes are not good enough. I am going to run the same G-Force test using my C6 2010 GS and see how this compares.
Here are my 2010 GS G's Graph.
Max G's 1.055

Big difference due to ABS a much nicer smooth slow down at high G's

Stock GS Calipers Hawk HPS Pads Michelin PS2 ZP Tires.

So it seems the C3 Brakes could do very well with practice at threshold braking. Next test is when I get better tires.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 AM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

The bearings dont care what spacers you run on your wheels as long as the centerline of the wheel is in the correct spot. If you ran flares and used a spacer to push the centerline of the wheel way out, then your bearings would be under more load. And if youre tracking the car, get some meat under the front fenders! As seen by mike80 and myself, you can get a 275 or 285 tire to fit up front.
HP Plus pads, titanium thermal backing plates, 3" brake ducts and some high temp fluid with manual brakes here. Love everything about this brake system except the weight (and by association of cast iron, the ability to shed heat)

Get notified of new replies

To How are you brakes performing. My 1978 results.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
The bearings dont care what spacers you run on your wheels as long as the centerline of the wheel is in the correct spot. If you ran flares and used a spacer to push the centerline of the wheel way out, then your bearings would be under more load. And if youre tracking the car, get some meat under the front fenders! As seen by mike80 and myself, you can get a 275 or 285 tire to fit up front.
HP Plus pads, titanium thermal backing plates, 3" brake ducts and some high temp fluid with manual brakes here. Love everything about this brake system except the weight (and by association of cast iron, the ability to shed heat)
Adding a wheel adapter is moving the center line of the weight transfer out and away from the fulcrum point the bearings. While the center line of the tread may remain the same with a offset wheel + adapter, but I think it is still moving the load transfer point outward and therefor creates a greater torque at the bearing and wheel assembly. But this may not be enough force to cause any problems with a few inches but I am not sure yet. What did you use for brake ducts ?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

[QUOTE=jb78L-82;1584684733] Like you, I have a completely stock system with SS calipers and stock rotors BUT use Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads (for years now) with SS braided steel lines and have found the system to be terrific on the street.

I'm looking at these also, but can't seem to get a definative answer as to how they handle when cold.
Your experience right out of your driveway?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Here are the results from the last time I was at the track in my 76'.

I'm running aluminum calipers (stock size pistons) and stock size rotors with brake cooling ducts and Hawk HP Plus compound. Using fresh DOT3 SSBC fluid. So basically a factory sized brake system upgraded to reduce weight and manage temperatures better.

I have no brake fade yet, but I haven't pushed the brakes to their absolute limits either. I may get it eventually, but so far so good. I'm pretty happy with this system at the moment.

The graphs from two brake zones have filtering to take out momentary spikes, but the table doesn't so there is a slight difference in the numbers. Obviously ignore the one extraneous line where I was off throttle coming into the corner with a whopping 0.2 g's in braking.

And yes, I know, I'm not very consistent yet with my braking. Some laps I feel more daring than others.

Quick Reply: How are you brakes performing. My 1978 results.