C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retain stock CAI with aftermarket l-88 scoop

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Retain stock CAI with aftermarket l-88 scoop

Decided to add an L-88 scoop to my stock 74 hood, just cause this project isnt taking long enough already.

As several others I have found online, I thought the 49" scoop didnt fit right so added 4" to bring the front of the scoop closer to the centerline of the front wheel hubs.
Used a piece of the cut hood for the straight bit, waste not want not lol

To extend the sides made forms from cardboard and plywood. Covered with wax paper.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM
LAddams
Pro

Ok pretty basic so far. Now is where the gears started turning.
Left the stock cutout for the top of the air cleaner.Cut around it. Briefly considered making it rounder in front but stock contour looked right with the underside of the l88 scoop.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM
LAddams
Pro

Tooke these photos then laid on another few layers to stiffen it up.
Still deciding on what to do on this end though. Im thinking glass in the hole just behind the air cleaner hole. Then do I cut the rear most support bar that formerly held the back of the grate? Im thinking I should.
Then how far to extend the bottom of the plenum chamber toward the firewall? or leave it?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
LAddams
Pro

Last piece is the edelbrock carb that came with my setup has a straight fitting for the fuel. Pretty much just hobjobbed to demo the motor. But its in the way of the air cleaner sitting flat. And I want something better anyway.
Anybody else running one of these carbs with a stock air cleaner? what did you do for the fuel line? Or better question what do people use for custom fuel lines these days? Just like everthing else been 30 years since I did stuff like this on a regular basis.

Last edited by LAddams; 08-11-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Retain stock CAI with aftermarket l-88 scoop

Quick Reply: Retain stock CAI with aftermarket l-88 scoop