C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81-82 owners....anyone using TunerPro RT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:09 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default 81-82 owners....anyone using TunerPro RT?

Just purchased the 12 pin ADL cable for the 82 and downloaded
TunerPro RT V5. Been putting this off for awhile, so now is the time to proceed....
So have any 81-82 owners used this software, and how is it working out for you?
Have made some progress, reading some of the parameters, but cannot set up dashboard as of yet.
Seems like it has a huge amount of info available. Not to concerned about reprograming the chip, but anxious to see all of the readouts as I used to with the HHR SS.
Have been looking at different web sites and you tube regarding the software, was just wondering if anyone here has first hand experience?
Later................................... ..Tom
Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

So, where is the 82 version?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Amorget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use TunerPro RT on my Thirdgens. Awesome program.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

what does it do?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:37 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Larry82
So, where is the 82 version?
ok Larry, I am new to this, sooooo, you need to click the link for Downloads-Definitions from the TunerPro.net site, and then look for...
Most GM OBDI datastream definitions can be found "here".
click on "here" and scroll down to "A062" which is an "adx" file, for the 82 L83.

Originally Posted by Amorget
I use TunerPro RT on my Thirdgens. Awesome program.
ok, I need some help......
1- the only XDL file I can come up with is one from a previous vehicle.
how do I find one for the 82?
2- I had things reading earlier, but might have screwed up something and trying to get restarted again...any tips??? have looked at the you tube videos and some other sites, still confused about some items...I realize there is a learning curve. I need a step-by-step run through...
3- how do you get the dash function started???

Originally Posted by qwank
what does it do?
with the TunerPro RT software, you can rewrite the chip if you feel so inclined and know how to do so. basically, it is for monitoring all of the functions of your computer controlled engine. I looked at the tables and can't seem to find any support for the L81 81 model. doesn't mean its not supported, I just can't locate it.
and to rewrite the chip, you would need additional hardware to attempt that task....
but for tuning with what you have and knowing that you are at or near top performance for what you are working with, it should be alot of fun.....

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 08-12-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Amorget
Pro

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
ok, I need some help......
1- the only XDL file I can come up with is one from a previous vehicle.
how do I find one for the 82?
2- I had things reading earlier, but might have screwed up something and trying to get restarted again...any tips??? have looked at the you tube videos and some other sites, still confused about some items...I realize there is a learning curve. I need a step-by-step run through...
3- how do you get the dash function started???
1. I am not sure what you mean by XDL. You have XDFs, ADS and BINs.

XDF is the "structure" of the data in the BIN files. The ADS is the definition for the data stream.

2. Which cable are you using? One of the thinks you need to make sure is that the jumper is set so the computer goes into diagnostic mode and starts sending the info. Also, make sure that the it is using the right COM port for your cable.

3. The dash isn't the most intuitive to get started. On the menu bar, click on the little tachometer looking icon that's red, that says Show Dash Data. That will bring up the dash, but it will be at the bottom of the screen. Resize it to a proper size. If there are no "gauges", right click and select your value to display. Hopefully that explains it, let me know if that doesn't clear it up.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

1. I am not sure what you mean by XDL. You have XDFs, ADS and BINs.

XDF is the "structure" of the data in the BIN files. The ADS is the definition for the data stream.

2. Which cable are you using? One of the thinks you need to make sure is that the jumper is set so the computer goes into diagnostic mode and starts sending the info. Also, make sure that the it is using the right COM port for your cable.

3. The dash isn't the most intuitive to get started. On the menu bar, click on the little tachometer looking icon that's red, that says Show Dash Data. That will bring up the dash, but it will be at the bottom of the screen. Resize it to a proper size. If there are no "gauges", right click and select your value to display. Hopefully that explains it, let me know if that doesn't clear it up.
1- I completely deleted everything including the cable drivers and started over again...
I found out that File XDF View Compare at the top of the menu bar are for rewriting the PROM and not used if not attempting this task, as additional hardware is needed.
The ADS file is for Version 4 and needs to be converted to an ADX file for Version 5, which I have done. I didn't realize the above from before and installed a XDF file from another vehicle app, which brought up the parameter choices on the left side window for that vehicle, not the L83.
The XDL file contians any data logging that you do and save, as that is what it appears to do.

2- using a cable from OBD diag, set at COM 3 and is working fine, as I was able to get back in and monitor some items this AM.

3- also figured out the dash, just can't get gauges to pop up, just seperate windows for the info.

It also seems like there is not alot of support for the 82 L83, as the amount of info seems limited. Don't know if it was my imagination, but it appears that when I had an XDF file loaded from an F Body, it gave me more items to get info from.....will have to figure this out.....

here is some info from this morning's log.....

Engine Speed........ 625 RPM's
Coolant Temp........ 182.75 F
TPS...................... 0.57 Volts
IAC...................... 129 Steps
MAP..................... 4.92 Volts
O2 Sensor............. 359.64 mV

I'm sure there may be alot more to do with this software, again, a learning curve for sure. Just have to figure out how to obtain more info from from the L83, if that is possible....

And thanks for the response, appreciated, may have more questions in the future.....Tom

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 08-12-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Amorget
Pro

There isn't near as much information in the data monitoring as there is in the TPI F-bodies. If you were looking at the sample ADS that came with v5, I think it's the 730 or 165 F-body ECM, which are probably some of the most popular and hacked up ECM/Proms in the DIY world.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Amorget
Pro

I understand a little better what you are talking about with the dashboard, you need to modify the ADX file. Here is a good tutorial on it:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-mo...-tutorial.html

I never use the gauges as I never cared for it to look pretty, I just need the values.

Last edited by Amorget; 08-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:44 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

I understand a little better what you are talking about with the dashboard, you need to modify the ADX file. Here is a good tutorial on it:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-mo...-tutorial.html

I never use the gauges as I never cared for it to look pretty, I just need the values.
Another thread not checked out for ages, where does the time go and what was I doing during that time????

thanks for that info, will have to check it out....appreciated......
Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried WinALDL? It has support for the L83 ECM. No tuning capabilities, but then no one is trying to tune using the ECM from the 82/84 vettes. A lot of guys have swapped to the TBI ECM from the Camaros. It has a faster processor, has been totally hacked and has a ton of programming support over at thirdgen.org. The same guys that do the Renegade manifold have a HAM board to solder to the later ECM, or if you get pin out diagrams of both you can splice on the later cable ends and have a completely programable ECM with the EBL and Ostrich systems. Food for thought...
Old 01-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I did some work with TunerPro on a TPI (MAF) car. An 87, but you can write the 89 stuff on there. The stock 87 setup had a very slow interface, the 89 rewrite sped that up by a LOT. I can't imagine trying to tune with the old interface, as I just can't see having the resolution necessary to correct the transfer functions - unless you do it very carefully, probably mandatory that it's done on a dyno.

I'd very much like to learn more about customizing E4ME QJet ECMs, but I'm in the planning stages of something else...
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Drawmain
Have you tried WinALDL? It has support for the L83 ECM. No tuning capabilities, but then no one is trying to tune using the ECM from the 82/84 vettes. A lot of guys have swapped to the TBI ECM from the Camaros. It has a faster processor, has been totally hacked and has a ton of programming support over at thirdgen.org. The same guys that do the Renegade manifold have a HAM board to solder to the later ECM, or if you get pin out diagrams of both you can splice on the later cable ends and have a completely programable ECM with the EBL and Ostrich systems. Food for thought...
Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I did some work with TunerPro on a TPI (MAF) car. An 87, but you can write the 89 stuff on there. The stock 87 setup had a very slow interface, the 89 rewrite sped that up by a LOT. I can't imagine trying to tune with the old interface, as I just can't see having the resolution necessary to correct the transfer functions - unless you do it very carefully, probably mandatory that it's done on a dyno.

I'd very much like to learn more about customizing E4ME QJet ECMs, but I'm in the planning stages of something else...
Thanks for replies.... good info and suggestions here....
This is definitely a learning curve for me. Although the 82 runs really well, this is something I would like to learn about and tinker around with in the future, as if I don't have enough going on at the monent...
But this what keeps me going, I always have to be thinking or doing something....
And I do have to install the Hypertech chip I have to see the difference it can make, but I just keep forgetting....must be the age.....
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

I noticed something else. While searching for a totally different part, I discovered Ecklers now carries the Renegade manifold.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

I noticed something else. While searching for a totally different part, I discovered Ecklers now carries the Renegade manifold.
Interesting, have to check out how many $$$ they have it listed for.....
On a side note, I have 2 other CFI intakes that I picked up and maybe plan to do some work on one of them as some of the 82 members have done. Just need to find the time to do it along with everything else...
I know one thing is that when I retire, I won't be at a loss for things to do, that is for sure.......

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 01-06-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Amen to that, brother, lol. I found another place that has the Renegade as well. I just finished a port job on my spare manifold. It probably wasn't worth all the time invested, but it was sure fun to do (at least to me anyway). The price on both sites is around $525.00. Maybe in the future once my daughter is off on her own... Daughters cost almost as much as Vette resorations!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Amen to that, brother, lol. I found another place that has the Renegade as well. I just finished a port job on my spare manifold. It probably wasn't worth all the time invested, but it was sure fun to do (at least to me anyway). The price on both sites is around $525.00. Maybe in the future once my daughter is off on her own... Daughters cost almost as much as Vette resorations!
I hear you there..... I got news for you, grandsons can cost just as much Christmas was expensive, with the cost of toys and electronics today
I don't know about switching to the Regegade, although it has gotten great reviews. Mine runs real good as I have mentioned many times before, have no trouble getting to triple digits and beyond in a safe enviroment. And since it is my "dd", can't afford to have it down any length of time. Of course the 74 Vert needs attention, my goal is to get it running and road worthy this year for sure, just have to get it done....

Get notified of new replies

To 81-82 owners....anyone using TunerPro RT?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Does it show idle air control information? Like what it is commanding it to be or anything? My fast idle when cold is the only function in not sure about on my 82. Starts right up even in 8 degree weather, but doesn't idle fast by itself. I almost pulled the trigger on the winaldl setup but wasn't sure what it would gain me.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Go here: http://winaldl.joby.se/aldlscreen.htm for WinALDL info and screenshots. It does show IAC activity. Regardless of which program you get you will need to make or buy a cable. WinALDL is free, so...
The following users liked this post:
knikula (05-04-2017)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I could make the cable, but for the price they charge on the rain forest themed shopping site, its almost not worth my time to do it. Plus the cable from the web looks like nice connectors.

Quick Reply: 81-82 owners....anyone using TunerPro RT?