C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering control valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default steering control valve?

What are the symptoms of a worn out power steering control valve? There seems to be excessive play in the steering and it feels almost like it's fighting me when going around a turn. Not violently, just feels heavy like manual steering with a little force against me. I rebuilt the front and rear suspension including rear spindles about 2000 miles ago, so that should not be an issue. I just put on new tires that are a little wider than what I had before and it seems to make the problem worse. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Anyone?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:39 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Actually, the most common symptom of a C/V problem would be the reduction or loss of assist to the steering. Looseness in the steering is more likely caused by worn steering link joints, deteriorating 'ragjoint' coupling, or wear in the steering box.

If you have 'slop' in the steering action, check & repair any steering linkage problems first; then check out the condition of the ragjoint and the lash in the steering box.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Like I said, all suspension parts are new. I will read up on adjusting the steering box and check the coupler. Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Yes. You said the "suspension" parts were new. That tells us nothing about the condition of the "steering" components.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Right. The steering linkage is new. Steering box and power steering components are not. I'll check into adjusting the steering box if it needs it.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

There is some play in the coupler, and it appears to have some in the box as well. I haven't been under the car yet, but it almost looks like the pitman shaft ***** to the side as you turn from one direction to the other. May just be an illusion though. Who makes the best steering coupler and box rebuild kits? Is it all the same china crap or is one supplier better than another. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The best replacement for a C-3 steering coupler is to replace it with a new OEM Saginaw coupler.

Here is some really outstanding information on steering couplers: http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=796

And here is info on rebuilding the box if you determine it needs it (go to the manual gear section): http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?cat=5

Note that you will need an inch pound torque wrench to set the preload on the steering box after you rebuild it.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The adjustment screw on the top plate of the steering box is actually used for....TA DAHH.....adjusting the steering box! So, your first course of action is to rebuild or replace the 'ragjoint' coupler; then, if you still have some slack in the steering system, attempt to adjust that slack out of the steering box.

If the sector gear/Pittman shaft wears evenly with the ballnut (over years of use), that wear can be negated by making a "lash" adjustment with that screw. If it wears unevenly, however, using that adjustment screw to remove slack will just cause binding elsewhere in the steering wheel travel and the wheel will not return to center position (on its own) after you complete a turn. So, there is a way to make proper adjustment to the steering box, as well as ways to make improper adjustment to it.

Jim_Shea (CF member and frequent poster) is the resident expert on C3 [and other] GM steering systems. You might research write-ups he has produced that detail how to make these adjustments on an assembled vehicle, as well as how to make them on the bench following a complete rebuild. You can also SEARCH prior [archived] threads on this topic to see what has already been discussed so many times before. If you still need assistance, send Jim a PM and ask his advice.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:57 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help. I realize that there is an adjustment on the box. It just looked like the pitman shaft had lateral movement, like a worn bushing. I didn't realize that the adjustment screw would fix that.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Make sure you have trans fluid in the reservoir...the symptoms that you described are similar to low fluid also

yes, you can use trans fluid too..........
Old 08-15-2013, 06:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Putting tranny fluid in the steering gearbox is not a good idea. The sector gear/ballnut take significant load during the steering action and need a sturdy lube/grease with adequate film strength. Also, if the lower lube seal is worn at all, a runny lube will likely ooze from the seal and that tranny fluid will drain out over time (and make a mess).

I suggest using a good hi-temp synthetic gear grease, if it needs more lube. [There is a specific procedure to change/install grease while the steering box is still on the car. Usually this is only done during a rebuild of the steering box.]

You can use P/S or trans fluid in the P/S pump; but the better choice is to use P/S fluid.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 08-15-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To steering control valve?

Quick Reply: steering control valve?