C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More ignition enhancements done on the 82 & test results...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:46 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default More ignition enhancements done on the 82 & test results...

Well I decided to change out some ignition parts in order to boost up the system and also prevent future breakdowns if possible. As you may know a few weeks ago, the 82 got towed home due to a broken coil wire. Even though I replaced the coil wit a low mileage unit, I still felt a change was needed. And not knowing the age of the ignition module, even though a GM part (may still be the original) it was time.
I oredered a Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil & Module. I don't work for the company, just adding a review and results here.
I did get hasty when putting the module in and overtighten the module bolt and snapped the head right off.... So took out the module and was able to unscrew the remainder of that bolt. Off to Home Depot and found that machine screws with a phillips head #6-32 x 3/4"
along with #6 lock washers works perfect for replacement bolts.
Got everything reinstalled and btw, the bolts that come with the coil are slightly smaller than the stock bolts that hold the coil in place, so I stayed with the stock coil bolts.
Go to start the car and it fires right up, fast idle comes on, and the Volt gauge is charging nicely, almost 14 V. Take it out for a test drive and it feels real strong and the Volts are staying put. Put the AC on and only a slight change in the idle. Also put it in "N" & "P" with the AC on to see if I could duplicate that high idle surge I had the other day. Nothing, it did nothing but idle real good and feel good throughout the rpm range.
Went out today to a family function, took the Vette and it ran great, and the Volts also stayed in place at idle, with only a slight dip if that. Never went below 13V, came close at idle, but did not happen.
So not being an engineer I am using logic here and nothing else I would think that the coil and or module have improved the electrical output of the ignition system, therefore creating better spark, which in turn creates a stronger and more stable Volt reading, especially at idle.
Below are some pics of the installation and I also forgot to put the rotor back in and it was right next to me, go figure!!!
I am happy with the results, it ran great today, and pulls real strong through the r's...

the system...

module removed...

original GM module???

new replacement...

thermal compound added to bottom of module...

replacement screws for ignition module hold down...

ok, if you notice in this pic, that #2 terminal on the distributor cap, is off color from the other terminals, it appears to be dull, is this an issue here, or I am just to tired to continue on????
also, and if you look to the left, you will see one of the connectors is not plugged in yet, does anyone know about the plug that is attached to the plug that has to be connected? I don't have a clue or have looked for one at this time.....

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 08-04-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't know what GM's original purpose for that was, but it sure makes a handy place to connect a TACH when you're working under the hood. I've also got a piece of #10 solid wire that's bent 180* on one end and bare that will fit up into the TACH cavity with the factory wire plugged in. Just hook it in the cavity and a slight pull and instant pickup point.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by TimAT
I don't know what GM's original purpose for that was, but it sure makes a handy place to connect a TACH when you're working under the hood. I've also got a piece of #10 solid wire that's bent 180* on one end and bare that will fit up into the TACH cavity with the factory wire plugged in. Just hook it in the cavity and a slight pull and instant pickup point.
thanks, good to know, never even gave that a thought....

Get notified of new replies

To More ignition enhancements done on the 82 & test results...

Quick Reply: More ignition enhancements done on the 82 & test results...