C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light 1981 vet

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:40 PM
VETDRM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light 1981 vet

Check engine light stays on. Looking for possible reasons? Could it be the fuel since its about 2 years old wih stabil?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

No way to really tell until you pull the code. Else it is only a guess. It will be emissions related since the light is set by the CCM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Under the ashtray there is a plug.
jumper the two contacts on the left side together with key on run.

the light will start blinking.
the first code will be
1 blink, pause 2 blinks.
this will repeat 3 times.
then the code/s will be blinked out- 3 times each.
so, a 2 blink, pause 3 blink- 3 times will be a code 23
then the next code will start in same way.
when the light starts the 1 blink pause 2 blinks sequence, all codes have been shown.

report back with what codes you have
Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goody
No way to really tell until you pull the code. Else it is only a guess. It will be emissions related since the light is set by the CCM.
Not meaning to be a "stickler". But there is not such thing as a CCM ( Central Control Module) in a 1981 Corvette. They have an ECM (Electronic Control Module). The CCM's did not come out until 1990.

Just wanted to clarify this so he didn't try to find a component that wasn't in his car. Because it is different. PCM, BCM, CCM, ECM and many more to list all do different things. I'm sure it was a typo, and I knew what you meant, but....maybe he didn't.
"DUB"
Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 AM
VETDRM
4th Gear

Jumped the two contacts on the left with a paper clip. No blinking with key on?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:30 AM
calwldlife
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by VETDRM
Jumped the two contacts on the left with a paper clip. No blinking with key on?
The metal gets corroded and makes it hard to get contact.

yes key on, jumper .

too be sure the left are the one on your car, is plastic divider
slotted between the contacts so a straight blade screw driver can be used?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:23 PM
VETDRM
4th Gear

jamed to strait screw drivers all the way down and each terminal and tried jumping across. nothing blinks evenn tried the the right side nothing. Did it trying to start as well. nothing.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:49 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '22

jamed to strait screw drivers all the way down and each terminal and tried jumping across. nothing blinks evenn tried the the right side nothing. Did it trying to start as well. nothing.
Hopefully it is only corrosion and not a bad ecm.
A finger nail file repeatedly pushed in and out so the metal is cleaned.

So the car has been parked and now it has an error light?

Unless the light blinks and you hear clicking, I won't be able to tell
you the codes.

Check the 2 harnesses that plug in the ecm, which is in front of the battery.

Maybe they are corroded too.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your check engine light is powered by the gauges fuse. The ground is controlled by the computer. Make sure that your ECM fuse is not blown. If the car has been sitting for two years, and depending on where you live, it is possible that mice have "played" around with your wiring causing the control wire to go to ground. I have the flow chart on "code 12 not flashing" if you need it. This flowchart may not make sense without the rest of the manual. Call me and I will be willing to help if you want.
"DUB"
Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 PM
VETDRM
4th Gear

Car has been parked for several months. Will try the cleaning as you suggested. The ECM was replaced about 4 years ago, because of the need to get it through emissions. It passed emissions 2 years ago but no longer needs to be tested. The light came on at the end of last season and even with the battery disconnected the light still came on this year. Which now brings to mind if the car has not been run enough this year will it still get a code. on another car going thru emissions that had the battery disconnected it needed to be driven in order for the computer to take a reading. Is this the same on these older models.

I also have the manual I'll check the other suggestions.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 02:11 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '22

Car has been parked for several months. Will try the cleaning as you suggested. The ECM was replaced about 4 years ago, because of the need to get it through emissions. It passed emissions 2 years ago but no longer needs to be tested. The light came on at the end of last season and even with the battery disconnected the light still came on this year. Which now brings to mind if the car has not been run enough this year will it still get a code. on another car going thru emissions that had the battery disconnected it needed to be driven in order for the computer to take a reading. Is this the same on these older models.

I also have the manual I'll check the other suggestions.

Thanks
No it does not have the "system not ready bs".

A solid light at start up points to broken wire/disconnected.
dist feed, Mixture sol, throttle pos, computer.

A lot of the codes need minutes and drive time to set.

Last edited by calwldlife; 07-05-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by grandmastercorvette
Not meaning to be a "stickler". But there is not such thing as a CCM ( Central Control Module) in a 1981 Corvette. They have an ECM (Electronic Control Module). The CCM's did not come out until 1990.

Just wanted to clarify this so he didn't try to find a component that wasn't in his car. Because it is different. PCM, BCM, CCM, ECM and many more to list all do different things. I'm sure it was a typo, and I knew what you meant, but....maybe he didn't.
"DUB"
My bad...actually I meant to type CCC which isn't really correct either. But thank you for the clarification.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Jimsal
5th Gear

can anyoune tell me on the dash of an 81 vette where the engine light is suppose to light?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimsal
can anyoune tell me on the dash of an 81 vette where the engine light is suppose to light?
It's in the upper left hand side of your center gauge bezel, next to the water temperature gauge and below the seat belt lamp.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
It's in the upper left hand side of your center gauge bezel, next to the water temperature gauge and below the seat belt lamp.
It is also a yellow flashing light. Sounds like the fuse is bad or poor connection some place.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:03 PM
rolasprint
3rd Gear

HI ALL! I am a new corvette 1981 owner. I bought it a couple of months ago. I do not use it much and the last time I fired it up to go for a spin the check engine light came on and stayed on. While I drive it I kind of smell some gas excess and the car is like "heavy". Shifts ok but it seems to be in 2 when it is actually in D. I tried to pull out the code and I read in another thread in this forum that I should jump the to extreme right contacts with a clip and turn the key. which I did but I did not get the light to blink. I read in this post that I should jump the two left side contacts which I notice do not have a plastic insert dividing them (they are the only two of the five contacts that are not divided). I have already ordered a service manual from ebay but maybe you guys could help a brother. I was planning to remove the center console in order to have a better reach to jump the contacts but I do not know how to do that. I also wanted to make sure I was jumping the correct contacts. Even though the light does not blink, I do get some small sparks out of the contacts and the light kind of changes intensity when I move the clip to find a better metal surface since the contacts do show a little of greenish rust. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks toall and have a nice week.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:08 PM
rolasprint
3rd Gear

Default Check engine light

HI ALL! I am a new corvette 1981 owner. I bought it a couple of months ago. I do not use it much and the last time I fired it up to go for a spin the check engine light came on and stayed on. While I drive it I kind of smell some gas excess and the car is like "heavy". Shifts ok but it seems to be in 2 when it is actually in D. I tried to pull out the code and I read in another thread in this forum that I should jump the to extreme right contacts with a clip and turn the key. which I did but I did not get the light to blink. I read in this post that I should jump the two left side contacts which I notice do not have a plastic insert dividing them (they are the only two of the five contacts that are not divided). I have already ordered a service manual from ebay but maybe you guys could help a brother. I was planning to remove the center console in order to have a better reach to jump the contacts but I do not know how to do that. I also wanted to make sure I was jumping the correct contacts. Even though the light does not blink, I do get some small sparks out of the contacts and the light kind of changes intensity when I move the clip to find a better metal surface since the contacts do show a little of greenish rust. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks toall and have a nice week.

Get notified of new replies

To Check engine light 1981 vet

Quick Reply: Check engine light 1981 vet