C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

My Vette Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:21 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default My Vette Won't Start

After a 6-month retro-roller cam installation, it was an anti-climactic Saturday when, after topping the fluids off and checking all connections, I turned the key, got the typical key 'buzz' and then no starter action. I've since gone back over all connections at the starter, alternator and at back of engine where the harness heads for the starter; no loose or exposed connections.

I turn key and no sound at all from starter. I checked the cables and I definitely have spark at the solenoid. My hand-held starter 'bump' trigger for setting initial timing won't even actuate the solenoid.

I am thinking I either have a bad solenoid or the battery has shorted. I did have the battery on trickle overnight after Advance Auto said I had 500cca on my PN # 75-3 battery on Saturday (pulled it off the charger midnight last night after seeing it pegged in the green and the green light flashing).

The car started fine the day I put it up on jack stands in February. 1st order of business that day was to disconnect the negative battery cable. Starter/solenoid rested on the garage floor during that whole time (dry).

I just disconnected the negative battery cable with intent of taking the solenoid and battery to Advance Auto for testing. I hope they can test the solenoid only as it is a royal PAIN to pull the starter with the right header installed.

UPDATE: I confirmed the black grounding wire is attached at the bell housing and the heavy frame grounding strap is attached to the bolt that fixes the front starter bracket and dip stick tube to the underside of passenger-side engine block. The red and purple wires that come along the harness to the starter are securely fastened to the solenoid.

Last edited by TedH; 07-14-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Getting ready to pull the reman'd starter & solenoid and the battery to take back to Advance for testing and possible replacement. I have to say the battery has lasted the longest at 6 years. I disconn'd the analog clock several years ago and that probably added years to the battery. the starter/solenoid are 'palladium' reman'd units from Advance that I have had at least as long. So, both have lasted longer than predecessors.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:16 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

is the car in park or neutral?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you have 12 volts at the top battery connection on the solenoid and you jumper-ed from there to the small terminal with the purple wire and the starter did not turn then the solenoid is bad.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
If you have 12 volts at the top battery connection on the solenoid and you jumper-ed from there to the small terminal with the purple wire and the starter did not turn then the solenoid is bad.
Not much else it can be.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sometimes, it really helps to look at my Shop Manual ('80 L48)...

The starter solenoid has two (2) small contacts on either side of the main cable contact. I connected the small wire connector to the PASSENGER side contact. Shop manual says to connect it to the DRIVER side contact. I suspect that is the issue... small wire on wrong contact.

Advance tested the starter and solenoid four (4) times in a row and the solenoid kicked the starter into gear and spun it with GUSTO all four times.

Also, I have a frayed ground wire that attaches to the bell housing. I plan to put a new connector on that wire.

I'll be putting it all back in this evening.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:15 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blue427
is the car in park or neutral?
Shifter selector is in PARK. Even put it in gear and back into Park just in case.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:38 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
Not much else it can be.
OK. So there's ONE other thing it could be.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Free and easy fix!

You are correct, the purple wire connects to the inboard terminal.

This diagram shows the points distributor connections.
On your HEI you don't need that (R) wire so the solenoid terminal get no wire.
There is also a large black wire that is a ground and gets connected to a bellhousing or starter bolt.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
You are correct, the purple wire connects to the inboard terminal.

This diagram shows the points distributor connections.
On your HEI you don't need that (R) wire so the solenoid terminal get no wire.
There is also a large black wire that is a ground and gets connected to a bellhousing or starter bolt.
You are correct. I'll be putting it all back together Monday evening. Purple wire will be on the 'S' starter solenoid terminal near the block. I guess I forgot which terminal to put that wire on after six months. Don't think I'll forget that after this experience.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Re-installed the starter and made the correct connections. Replaced the ground wire connector @ bell housing. Engine now turns over with the key. Will be setting timing Tuesday night.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Alright Ted, good going with the wiring and i'll bet u never forget how the starter is wired now.
Can't wait to read how that roller cammed mill runs now. Are u ready for some tire smoke?

cardo0

Get notified of new replies

To My Vette Won't Start

Quick Reply: My Vette Won't Start