C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: 80 vet, California smog

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Steve Issa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 80 vet, California smog

Hello, Everybody

I want to get this 1980 Vet I have been looking at. Owner says he dropped in a rebuilt 350. I know originally California cars were 305's with a computer. I am confused, how does a computer programed for a 305 run a 350? That computer year was only for a 305 engine, no "chips" available for a 350. Has to be different or you will run too lean, etc.. I ***-U-Me! Or there is the other scenario, he dropped it in and cut off the computer. If he did that then it would not pass smog. My last thought is that it was purchased out of state without a computer and brought here. If that is the case how does or did that work? How would it pass smog here now? In 1980 the Corvette with a 350 and no computer was not allowed to be sold in California. Very very confused. Any thoughts on how to not get burned on this purchase? I really want this car. It is really nice but that whole 350 thing worries me. I just finally got a car to pass smog and it was hell. I guess I am scared to go through it again. Very curious as to how this is California compliant especially with the star program for smog.

Last edited by Steve Issa; 07-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

A couple of key items here. First off, the 350 won't make any difference as long as all of the other smog parts are working properly. Second, is the car already in CA or out of state? If in state, the seller is technically responsible for passing smog before selling. You could always make this a condition of purchase but the won't work for an out of state seller. Last, was the car originally a CA 305? You should be able to verify this by looking at the emissions sticker above the brake booster under the hood.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The CaliforniaStingrays.us web site has a lot of information on a 1980 corvette that will answer a lot of the questions you may have. The VIN on the car will tell you what the original motor was. Here are some links that will help:

California Tips for Buying a 1980 Chevrolet Corvette

1980 Corvette Specifications and Statistics
Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Steve Issa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I will check out the emissions sticker when I see the car. It is registered in California. I am trying to get the vin from the owner now. As far as the links go I will give both a good read. Thanks guys.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:45 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

If it's already in State, you just need to worried about passing emissions every two years.

See if the owner keep the results from the last two years to give you information on how clean it blows.

Not sure if Carfax has 1980 information but Carfax would show each failure it's had as well.

Here is were it needs to be under.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/cu...VLTROWID=13415

Get notified of new replies

To RE: 80 vet, California smog

Quick Reply: RE: 80 vet, California smog