C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable hardtop for convertible..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 09:39 AM
74L82AirRoadster
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removable hardtop for convertible..........

I'm looking at a hardtop for my 74, and am having a hard time figuring out if the top is a 68 or a 69-75. I was told that 69 and up have chrome caps on the rear corners but I am unable to see them in the pictures. Anyone know the other differences? Also, the one I am looking at has a center post where it attaches to the rear of the car. My car did not orginally come with a hardtop, so does this mean I have to drill a hole through the rear deck or do I have the wrong year. The top is a vinyl top if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 06-27-2002, 09:54 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (74L82AirRoadster)

I've been looking into this as well.
This is what I believe to be true:
- All the basic hardtops are the same, the differences lie in the hardware.
- 1968 and possibly early 69 models had no chrome corners.
- A third attachment was added in late 69 in the decklid.
- 68 used acorn nut latches, others used the rubber type.
- Early models used a smaller diameter latching pin.

So.... any hardtop can be made to fit. You just may have to change the latches or pins.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (lbell101)

What was said before all sounds true to me. I looked and purchased a top for my 72 last year and got lucky and found one here in Houston at a swap meet. The center post can be added from parts available (Corvette Central has them I know [possible backorder, of course]) or with the stud removed and used without. It was added to help clamp down the bow.

Going price on e-bay is $750-$850 in good condition with all the hardware which I understand is difficult to come by. I really lliked the look and ride with it on, it did however, leave surface marks on the paint that I had to machine polish out of the clear coat. It is also quite heavy and takes two to install.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:43 AM
74L82AirRoadster
Instructor

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (Milest)

Larry,

Thanks for your info, that is exactly what I was looking for. This way, I can make sure the top will fit the car with as little effort as possible.

Milest,

My paint isn't very good right now, but I will keep the info for future reference. I have heard the top makes the car totally different, almost stiffening it up. Is this true? Also, is there some type of trim piece or latch that GM used once the center hole is drilled? Or is it just like a locater pin? I would like to keep the center pin as I plan to drag the car occasionally and that might keep it secured a little better. I'd hate to have the top blow off at 100mph. Beautiful car by the way, I really like the color!! Thanks again for your help!!
Old 06-27-2002, 01:54 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

I have the center hole. My car is a factoory two top car. It's just a hole with a piece of trim. The center stud goes through the hole and secures underneath. You can check out Zip, Corvette Central and possibly Dr. Rebuild for diagrams.

One of the neatest tricks you can do is replace the two big studs with the studs for a convertible top. That way you don't have to secure them from the bottom, the hardtop just pops in like the soft top and then you just secure the two sides and the rear center stud.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:17 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

I must question this. My original hardtop only optioned '68 has chrome corners, and it isn't the first '68 I've seen with them. I have seen early '68s without chrome corners. For reference, my '68 was built in June. Where did you get this information?

Couple things to add in case you are skeptical about the authenticity of my Vette… All numbers (date and part number) match including motor, tranny, starter, alternator, distributor, overflow tank, etc. The original ’69 style sidepipes, rear valance, and 3.70:1 gears were added by the original owner in ’70. I have a copy of the original build sheet and most of the cars history I’ve learned directly from the original owner, who now lives in Lufkin, Texas. I clarify this because if I were to read this as an outside observer I would have taken one look at the sig pic and thought "that isn't an original unmolested '68. Who knows what else is incorrect, including the hardtop."

[Modified by 63Banshee, 2:28 PM 6/27/2002]
Old 06-27-2002, 03:22 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (63Banshee)

Gosh - you guys might have to take this to Factory Correct Resto.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:17 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (74-Roadster)

I have the center hole. My car is a factoory two top car. It's just a hole with a piece of trim. The center stud goes through the hole and secures underneath. You can check out Zip, Corvette Central and possibly Dr. Rebuild for diagrams.

One of the neatest tricks you can do is replace the two big studs with the studs for a convertible top. That way you don't have to secure them from the bottom, the hardtop just pops in like the soft top and then you just secure the two sides and the rear center stud.
Great topic...
I just bought one off of ebay (haven't recieved it yet) but how do you mean it's secured underneath? I thought the left and right studs snap in like the conv top does. Is this correct??? Also how does the center stud latch? My deck has a center hole with trim as you described and nothing else, so what secures the center stud?
Old 06-27-2002, 08:31 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd hate to have the top blow off at 100mph.
Don't worry, the top won't blow off. I had mine up to 125 with only the three front latches holding it on. No problems. I wouldn't do it again, but no problems.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:41 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

63banshee!
"Where did you get this information?"

Just from fellow forum members while researching for my own top. It could be inaccurate but it seems to be the concensus.

Edit for a question: Are you saying that your 68 was originally fitted with the 69 style side exhaust? Not argueing just asking! Damn good looking car.

[Modified by lbell101, 8:44 PM 6/27/2002]
Old 06-27-2002, 09:47 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Edit for a question: Are you saying that your 68 was originally fitted with the 69 style side exhaust? Not argueing just asking! Damn good looking car.

[Modified by lbell101, 8:44 PM 6/27/2002]
I wish, but no. The original owner had it installed in 1970. Would be nice to have the one original '68 sidepipe car though.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:29 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

It's a PITA to take off and put on, btw.

[Modified by BlueL36, 10:30 PM 6/27/2002]
Old 06-28-2002, 10:47 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (gq82)

Great topic...
I just bought one off of ebay (haven't recieved it yet) but how do you mean it's secured underneath? I thought the left and right studs snap in like the conv top does. Is this correct??? Also how does the center stud latch? My deck has a center hole with trim as you described and nothing else, so what secures the center stud?
Mine is a factory "two top" car also. If the car was originally optioned (ordered) with two tops it came with the center hole in the deck. If only ordered with the soft top there should be no hole from what I've been able to determine.

And definitely change the side mount threaded bolts to the soft top studs. It makes it MUCH easier to secure the sides. The center hard top mount doesn't use a stud in the top. It's sort of like a tab with a hole through it that matches up with the center hole in the deck. There is a special bolt that slips through the two holes and is secured underneath with a nut.

And if you're a single...as in happily divorced....type person and have to remove the top alone then it doesn't always have to be a complete PITA to get off. I made a "swing" type arrangement with a friend that is easily disassembled that I rigged with metal cable, some pulleys and a boat winch so I can easily deal with the top. I don't have enough room for both Vettes and my SUV at home so I keep the Vert in storage just down the street. Having the lift for the top is great and easy to use by myself.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:19 AM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

I must question this. My original hardtop only optioned '68 has chrome corners, and it isn't the first '68 I've seen with them. I have seen early '68s without chrome corners. For reference, my '68 was built in June. Where did you get this information?

Couple things to add in case you are skeptical about the authenticity of my Vette… All numbers (date and part number) match including motor, tranny, starter, alternator, distributor, overflow tank, etc. The original ’69 style sidepipes, rear valance, and 3.70:1 gears were added by the original owner in ’70. I have a copy of the original build sheet and most of the cars history I’ve learned directly from the original owner, who now lives in Lufkin, Texas. I clarify this because if I were to read this as an outside observer I would have taken one look at the sig pic and thought "that isn't an original unmolested '68. Who knows what else is incorrect, including the hardtop."

[Modified by 63Banshee, 2:28 PM 6/27/2002]
I have some more information. Along with a few other markings, there is a date on the underside of my hardtop (behind the headliner) in grease pencil, "4/24/68."

Now, we have three possible explanations.

1. Someone through the years added the chrome corners to the top on my Vette, and the other '68 hardtop optioned Vettes with chrome corners I've seen are incorrect (only two or three).

2. Early '68 Vettes did not have the chrome corners.

3. chrome corners were placed on hardtops depending on the factory.

I'm very interested in getting some NCRS input on this.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:38 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Me Too!
Anybody have the NCRS book and can tell us what they say?

Your option #2 seems most plausable at this point but who knows really.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:03 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (Cajun75)

I made a "swing" type arrangement with a friend that is easily disassembled that I rigged with metal cable, some pulleys and a boat winch so I can easily deal with the top. I don't have enough room for both Vettes and my SUV at home so I keep the Vert in storage just down the street. Having the lift for the top is great and easy to use by myself.
Cajun75, how do you sleep at night with 80 frickin' pounds of hard top swinging ever-so lightly over your car?
Old 06-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (mayberg)

Actually I sleep pretty good :lol: :lol:
The whole aluminum swing package only weighs about 40lbs but when put together is unbelievably strong. The pad eyes for the pulleys are all welded as well as the top bar and winch pad. The rest is held together with nuts and bolts. We tested it with close to 300lbs and it barely flexed.

The harness for the hard top is from Eckler's and is super strong too. It's been hanging there for a couple of years and no problems yet. I've only used the hardtop twice in that time. This car never goes out unless there is no rain in sight and I can put the soft top down whereas the C5 gets abused like a proverbial "red-headed stepchild". :D :D

Get notified of new replies

To Removable hardtop for convertible..........

Old 06-28-2002, 03:03 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (Cajun75)

We've had our '68 for 24yrs now, and the original hardtop has never been on the car since we've owned it.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:14 PM
robert kirk
Racer

my 71 is a two top car. the hard top is heavy, and in my opi a real pain to put on and take off. we put it on one time to take pictures and its been covered in the shop ever sence. it has chrome tips and the center peg. the one time it was on, the car never moved and you could tell if it was not secured very tightly it would scratch the paint. i'm just not willing to take the chance. in texas we don't need no stinking hard top, i hate even putting the vert top up. robert
Old 06-28-2002, 04:02 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Removable hardtop for convertible.......... (Corey 68)

We've had our '68 for 24yrs now, and the original hardtop has never been on the car since we've owned it.
And...

What is the build date of your car? Chrome corners or no? What plant was it built in?

[Modified by 63Banshee, 2:52 PM 6/28/2002]

Quick Reply: Removable hardtop for convertible..........