C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me build my new 427 short block..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by pauldana
Ok. that is scary... that bid was from CNC who is being recommended on this thread..So now i totally question there ability and truthfulness....

427 is what i am shooting for using my 64cc heads

So.... you would choose the World block?

i agree..... and i see no reason i would ever need or want anything more than 800hp

Thank you, I WILL check them out.
Ultrastreet (Scott Shafiroff) is also a quality builder. I would have no doubt or hesitation in using CNC Motorsports. They are a top notch company with an impeccable reputation unless Gkull knows something I don't about them.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:54 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Ultrastreet (Scott Shafiroff) is also a quality builder. I would have no doubt or hesitation in using CNC Motorsports. They are a top notch company with an impeccable reputation unless Gkull knows something I don't about them.
63Mako, I would trust you to build a motor over any of these places.

Nothing is for FREE! These engine shops are there to make money.

I have a friend that bought a high end 427. It came with a printed dyno sheet. The only problem was it could not run when delivered because the cam hit the rods. I was wondering how they put a motor together if you couldn't even rotate the motor.

It costs time and money to mount and unmounts a motor from a dyno. So they were obviously dynoing motors on the copy machine
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you are done with your bottom end selection, my top end will be for sale. The car isnt on the road yet and I am already upgrading components, lol. I will be selling fully cnc'd afr 210s, hyd roller cam, pushrods, rockers etc. The car has been in the shop for two years as a restomod project. The engine is started and run monthly but has never been run under load. If interested the parts will go at a steep discount.

The engine dyno'd at 565hp at ultrastreet.net. I am going solid roller, more compression and bigger heads. I should have never visited the yellowbullet forum, lol.

Last edited by uxojerry; 06-26-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Originally Posted by gkull
63Mako, I would trust you to build a motor over any of these places.

Nothing is for FREE! These engine shops are there to make money.

I have a friend that bought a high end 427. It came with a printed dyno sheet. The only problem was it could not run when delivered because the cam hit the rods. I was wondering how they put a motor together if you couldn't even rotate the motor.

It costs time and money to mount and unmounts a motor from a dyno. So they were obviously dynoing motors on the copy machine
Thx guys... I want to move forward on this so bad... But I still can not decide on the world block or dart.. And now I'm. Questioning the rotating Assimbaly

Originally Posted by uxojerry
When you are done with your bottom end selection, my top end will be for sale. The car isnt on the road yet and I am already upgrading components, lol. I will be selling fully cnc'd afr 210s, hyd roller cam, pushrods, rockers etc. The car has been in the shop for two years as a restomod project. The engine is started and run monthly but has never been run under load. If interested the parts will go at a steep discount.

The engine dyno'd at 565hp at ultrastreet.net. I am going solid roller, more compression and bigger heads. I should have never visited the yellowbullet forum, lol.

Don't think I will need any... Shooting for 650hp and I already have well over 4000$ in heads and valve train
Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you want a guaranteed 650 on the motor put together right & dynoed go see Joe Sherman in Santa Ana he will get it done for you, hes cost conscious and detail oriented. At least youll know exactly what you got tuned to perfection drop it in and go
Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing that catches my eye on your parts list is the piston. I like the Mahley power packs but I prefer a reverse dome aka D cup to a 360* dish. Quench / squish works a lot better with .035-.040 clearance. I would take a look at the piston, rod and bob weight numbers befor I but money on a rotating assy.

and +1 for Big Joe
Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If you want a guaranteed 650 on the motor put together right & dynoed go see Joe Sherman in Santa Ana he will get it done for you, hes cost conscious and detail oriented. At least youll know exactly what you got tuned to perfection drop it in and go
Thank you, i may give hime a call, I would like to do the assembly of the engine myself. I have full assess to a machine shop and engine rebuild shop.... what I need to do is make up my mind on what block, and what rotating assemble to purchase. The rest is easy...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crepitus
One thing that catches my eye on your parts list is the piston. I like the Mahley power packs but I prefer a reverse dome aka D cup to a 360* dish. Quench / squish works a lot better with .035-.040 clearance. I would take a look at the piston, rod and bob weight numbers befor I but money on a rotating assy.

and +1 for Big Joe
Yea, this is where I need a little help...currently to get 10.5:1 on my 383 i run flat top pistons
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

http://www.callies.com/components/rotating-assemblies/
http://www.worldcastings.com/product...on-blocks.html
If your going with a 427 CI
I would go with the 350 main world block 084020 with splayed billet caps 084120 and have callies spec and balance a rotating assembly for you. Then you will have to have the block finish honed. All measurements double checked, a small base circle cam, billet would be best, new pushrods, new oil pan, oil pump, pickup, timing set. Having access to the equipment is huge. 350 main crank is lighter and plenty strong. Lightweight rotator might be worth talking to Callies about.

Last edited by 63mako; 06-26-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:35 AM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/crank...rankshaft.html

ART!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:14 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I read this on another forum in my research, it seems to have been made by someone at World:

Here's some of the advantages of our World Mowtown II block:

1. Far better cam oiling which prolongs the life of your cam/lifters. It is still priority main oiling, but redirected over the top of the cam

2. Dowel Pins on the main caps. Our competitor uses stock registers. There is no one on earth that can convince me that dowel pins aren't a stronger solution

3. We use all ARP hardware

4. We provide for a 55MM Cam

5. We are nearly finished machined saving a bunch of money on machine shop work

Those are a few quick points, I am back on the clock on Monday if you need more.

Feature for feature, on the important stuff, I believe (as I should) we have it hands down.

And I'm comparing to any top of the line block out there, not entry level junk..

this is actually good reading:
http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t...3137044716/p/2
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Havent used a world but have used the Dart Litte M I htought it was a real nice piece would use one in a second.

Be nice to see you acheive your goals but dont see 650NA from those parts youre gonna need much more. Or was that 650 on the bottle? You mentioned good for 800hp so was assuming 650na

Think if youre going to be beating this thing up on a track a lot at that power level might be a good idea to have a pro step in and do it just to get those extra little things they do to get more power/longevity out of it. Kind of foolproof things
I know, I know....lol

Last edited by cv67; 06-27-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Havent used a world but have used the Dart Litte M I htought it was a real nice piece would use one in a second.

Be nice to see you acheive your goals but dont see 650NA from those parts youre gonna need much more. Or was that 650 on the bottle? You mentioned good for 800hp so was assuming 650na

Think if youre going to be beating this thing up on a track a lot at that power level might be a good idea to have a pro step in and do it just to get those extra little things they do to get more power/longevity out of it. Kind of foolproof things
I know, I know....lol
I built my 383 and i had 460hp and 440 tq at the rear wheels... I got this... but thx... And as far as what makes power and the combos... pretty much got that too....

my concerns lay in which is the best all around block for my purpose, and which rotating assembly is going to be the strongest, lightest and best again for my use, with keeping an eye on the money as to not get to crazy...

I'm pondering the Aluminum block also at this time...
Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

There's a ton of complaints about world products over on speed talk from many people, not just blockman that sells dart blocks.

Something to check into.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 06-27-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

My Motown has been great. I talked to blockman years ago and his complaints were specific. He would need to post them.

Mine is ready for reassembly. If I had it to do all over again. I would have opted for the aluminum tall deck and raised cam

Last edited by gkull; 06-27-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

world I was told is gone..Bill Mitchell took it over and they are just sailing out the current castings,,, i was told this by a World distributor
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Its been around for a lot of yrs and has always been called... Bill Mitchell hardcore racing/world products so he has always been connected or involved. Interesting if world products is no longer with them you get ahold of them at, www.worldcastings.com

For two yrs now I first look at corvette forum then speed talk and café racer everyday. For two yrs over at speed talk i have read of nothing but problems with world products I guess while bill Mitchell stood around with his finger up his *** not caring what is going on, but now he has turned over a new leaf after customers go elsewhere.

Simply go over to speed talk ask some more questions.

Get notified of new replies

To help me build my new 427 short block..

Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

ok... looks like dart.... tall deck was said to work better with the 427...

tall block or standard block?
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Dart has a 250$ rebate going on some of there blocks.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:04 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bluedawg
Dart has a 250$ rebate going on some of there blocks.
Cool... info on how to get it?

Quick Reply: help me build my new 427 short block..