C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Ignition Shield Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 AM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 Ignition Shield Install

Can anyone out there give me advice on how to install the left front ignition shield? I took out the alternator and I still can't figure out how to get the shield on. I'm thinking the only way is to disconnect the motor mounts and exhaust to lift the motor up. Maybe the answer is to trim the shield a little? Appreciate any help someone might have.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
fazang
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am trying to understand the issue. in this pic

on my car the shielding behind the ALT on my L-46 is held on by 2 wing nuts.... and the wire going through the hole comes out with a gentle tug.

-ALF out...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

On my 71' 350/270 the LF shield is held on by one bolt into the block.
Gary

Old 01-15-2011, 12:26 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the pic, isn't there one to the block and another to the motor mount?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:14 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by fazang

on my car the shielding behind the ALT on my L-46 is held on by 2 wing nuts.... and the wire going through the hole comes out with a gentle tug.

-ALF out...
There are two pieces, a braket that goes on the block and then there is a chrom shield that goes over the bracket and is held on with wing nuts attached to tabs that are connected to the exhaust manifold bolts. I've installed the bracket that bolts to the block, but the steering box appears to be in the way and I cannot position the chrom shield so it can be mounted. Maybe I need to either move the steering box or lift the motor. Seems like I'm doing something wrong if I need to do that.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:19 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duke94
Gary

My engine is installed, and I'm trying to attach the left front chrome shield. The steering box seems to be in the way and I can't seem to be able to position the shield so that I can be attached via the wing nuts to the tabs that are mounted to the exhaust manifold bolts. There is not enough clearance to rotate the shield on.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

-ALF out...
ALF- I thought of a better way to describe my problem. For the left front shield in your picture (the one by the water temperature sensor) if you unscrewed the two wing nuts would you be able to remove that shield? I don't see how you could and my problem is I'm trying to install mine. John
Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 AM
fazang
Racer

Originally Posted by jyoconnell
ALF- I thought of a better way to describe my problem. For the left front shield in your picture (the one by the water temperature sensor) if you unscrewed the two wing nuts would you be able to remove that shield? I don't see how you could and my problem is I'm trying to install mine. John
okay i understand now, the metal bracket the chrome shield bolts to.
you wanted to know if you installed it on the block correctly...

i have taken the chrome shield off many times to clean it. one of the shields this may be the one i do have to think a few minutes how to maneuver it to get on the bracket so i can bolt it on....

my comment not much help bu ti think we are on the same page now.

-ALF out...
Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
Gary

This is a great pic of where the shields bolt on. I never could figure out how to bolt on the front ones.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
fazang
Racer

jyoconnell,
I DO NOT have power steering, so i assume you are talking about the steering gearbox being in the way and not power steering pump..?
It's been below 32* here so i have chickened out goin' in the garage and testing taking the plate off. If you need me to I will...?
-ALF out.....
Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

jyoconnell,
I DO NOT have power steering, so i assume you are talking about the steering gearbox being in the way and not power steering pump..?
It's been below 32* here so i have chickened out goin' in the garage and testing taking the plate off. If you need me to I will...?
-ALF out.....
I am talking about the steering gearbox, sorry for the confusion. I'm going tro try and install the shield again tomorrow myself. If you could just loosen or remove the two wing nuts and see if the shield can be removed. I don't see how it could given the clearance there but I'm hoping I'm wrong and you tell me you were able to do it.

John
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Chromie69
Racer

I did this with a tune up last spring..that one is a bugger to get back on..I remember loosening the manifold bolts that held the brackets for the shield..rotated out of the way and wiggled the cover back in place..I always wondered how it came off and wouldn't go back on..oh well hope this helps..
Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromie69
I did this with a tune up last spring..that one is a bugger to get back on..I remember loosening the manifold bolts that held the brackets for the shield..rotated out of the way and wiggled the cover back in place..I always wondered how it came off and wouldn't go back on..oh well hope this helps..
On some cars this shield can be tough. If I remember right I remove the front wing nut,loosen the rear one,loosen the rear ex manifold bolt and then remove the shield,rear bracket,spacer and bolt all at the same time. If the car has the brake line block it can make you cuss.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Default How to get the left front ignition shield on

Originally Posted by Chromie69
I figured out how to install the left front ignition shield:

1) remove altenator
2) remove left motor mount bolt.
3) With wood block under oil pan jack up engine 1/2 inch on left side
4) snake temperature sensor wire through hole on shield and connect to temperature sensor terminal. This is necessary because it is almost impossible to get on once the shield is installed.
5) with exhaust manifold brackets (wing nuts) removed slide shield in from altenator side. Wiggle it until you get it positioned close, and past the steering box restriction
6) attach rear exhaust manifold bracket, leave loose until second bracket is in place.
7) Attach front exhaust manifold bracket, tight both wing nuts and exhaust manifold bolts.
8) celebrate!!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
MarkHarclerode
Intermediate

Default Corvette Engineering???

I can not believe that they paid someone to design this impossible to remove and install shield. Since this process has to be done to check and/or change plugs, it is no wonder that almost all 69 corvette have this contraptions removed. I have not had any on mine since 1987 and the radio sounds fine!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Ignition Shield Install

Quick Reply: 1969 Ignition Shield Install