C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual exhaust in california

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
What youre publicly asking someone esp a shop to do can get them in a WHOLE lotta trouble.

He can get a "smog" within 30 mi radius of his "new" address? Think thats the DMVs reg not sure
-----------------------------------------------------
What are you going to do come smog time with gutted cats cause it wont pass (if you get called into a STAR or test only station)

Wont really gain you any power either. Put some catcos carsound or??? cats on there (need to be the Ca specific ones too), be legal and lose no power. They are reasonable and flow well.

Got tired of dodging smog issues ah the good old days lol.
i know but if theres no paper trail(cash) or even if they come do it at my house as i do have a welder itll all be good. ill look into the catcos car sound.
come inspection time ill bolt in stock exhaust.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigeddie
i know but if theres no paper trail(cash) or even if they come do it at my house as i do have a welder itll all be good. ill look into the catcos car sound.
come inspection time ill bolt in stock exhaust.
With my 07 C6, I put everything back to stock every 2 years, then put the headers back on after smogging. It's not as hard as it sounds.

My 81 is undergoing restoration, but I had true duals on it (no headers though) and did the same thing. I have never given a second thought to the CHP. No one around here bothers me for my loud exhaust or no front plate on the C6.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
With my 07 C6, I put everything back to stock every 2 years, then put the headers back on after smogging. It's not as hard as it sounds.

My 81 is undergoing restoration, but I had true duals on it (no headers though) and did the same thing. I have never given a second thought to the CHP. No one around here bothers me for my loud exhaust or no front plate on the C6.
yeah i know every two years is a piece of cake n i can do it in one evening. that was my plan. i guess ill get a kit from somewhere n weld here.. great ideas guys much appreciated
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigeddie
yeah i know every two years is a piece of cake n i can do it in one evening. that was my plan. i guess ill get a kit from somewhere n weld here.. great ideas guys much appreciated
Yeah unfortunately there really isn't an easy way to get around the smog, unless you know someone to take care of you.

When my 81 is finished I am going with headers, the full duals and dual cats. Maybe.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:09 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Not that hard!

You live in Salinas and if you get off the main streets and find a cool guy (speak a little spanish), I bet it will get done. Basically I would flange everything (have a performance section and then drop it out and put proper cats in for a smog, and naturally you would have to retune). Also if you took the parts off of the car, then an official Main Street shop isn't going to have a problem generally if they aren't doing it on an actual car and cash.
I have guys that are true car guys in many neighborhood that are great people that I have worked with. Had a soft top redone $1000 bill that included materials off of Pico in downtown LA, had 4" hooker sides flanged both tubes and headers for $250 in Placentia.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-21-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Not a short drive but Synergy Motorsports may be able to help. They are in Fremont and do a lot of work on LS1,2,3 cars and trucks.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

These counties do not require smog check. time to get a p.o box
Alpine
Amador
Calaveras
Del Norte
Humboldt
Imperial
Inyo
Lake
Lassen
Mariposa
Mendocino
Modoc
Mono
Plumas
Sierra
Siskiyou
Trinity
Tuolumne

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...#ixzz2WpDt3ynG
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I need to move to one of those lol
Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

No smog ever, that's the beauty of pre 75, straight exhaust no restrictions. Just take some heat from tree huggers once and a while.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:07 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Not exactly true. '75's are also exempt.

Quick Reply: dual exhaust in california