C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 door will not unlock

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM
redbird68
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 71 door will not unlock

hi guys

I have a 71 vert, drivers door will not unlock from inside **** or outside with key. just painted, has a new exterior lock handle. Had the problem once before and after many, many tries, was able to unlock using interior ****. this time no luck yet. i installed new door panels recently, and the door is closed and locked, cannot get the panel off.

i searched the forum and saw references to a screwdriver trick to unlock a door. can someone please explain to me how to do this?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...vers-door.html
Old 06-15-2013, 08:04 AM
redbird68
Cruising

hey Ray

thank you!!!!!after seeing the pic in the thread you attached, i got it open in 2 minutes!!!!

i can drive again!!!!

now i will take off door panel and see what is going on.....after i go for a drive

thanks again

bill
Old 06-15-2013, 06:10 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Mine sticks on my '74 but only if I lock it. As long as I don't lock it, I don't have a problem opening it.

Chuck

MY 76 RAY was my vanity plate as in MY 76 stingRAY. I got tired of giving OHIO $50 extra every year so now I have a regular plate and a little extra money to put into the cars. I figure it only costs them extra money to make the plate. After that they're just ripping me off.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 AM
redbird68
Cruising

mine also works fine if it is not locked...i will pull off the lock **** to avoid a future problem until i pull off the panel to figure out and repair the problem

thanks Chuck
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

If you figure out how to fix it please post the solution.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been wrestling with the latch on mine for a few days now.

When I got it I never tried the lock on the pass side and one day I got around to seeing if everything worked okay and when I tried to open it after locking it it would not unlock. The inner **** didn't work and the key didn't work. so I broke in with the trick above.

Thinking the latch had an issue I found an inexpensive used one and spent the afternoon scrapping my hand putting it in. Man that hole and a fat mans hand were not meant to be together!

Once tightened down and tested, it did the same thing. I knew the latch was a good unit because I tested it before installing.

Upon examination I noticed when I tightened the 3 screws down the latch seemed to bend as if the door jamb was bent.

I loosened the screws and everything seemed to work properly, but I cant leave the screws loose for ever.

Looking at the door jamb I cant see that it has been bent and I am fairly sure the car has not been wrecked, so its a bit of a conundrum. Its obviously bent but not to the degree I can tell

I think I have decided to try putting some washers to space the latch a bit but eventually I may have a body shop tweek it to work properly. I don't know that I want to put my hand back in there again.

none of this may apply to your situation but check the alignment and tinker with the control rods. I spent some time on those as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 AM
redbird68
Cruising

thanks neal

i think i will enjoy being able to drive for awhile....once i open up the door, i will post info on my success or lack thereof in fixing the lock

Get notified of new replies

To 71 door will not unlock

Quick Reply: 71 door will not unlock