C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Engine Mods advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1971 Engine Mods advice?

1971 SB Auto. 75k miles all original. Ive been doing some reading and searches on engine mods and here is what i've come up with so far.

Keep my Quadrajet and have the Lars treatment done to it. His price is very reasonable. I was surprised he was opposed to Pertronix or any elec ignition and only uses points for his distributor rebuilds.

Edelbrock Performer 2101 Spread bore Intake.

Heads?

Cam?

Perhaps one of the Edelbrock top end kits? Saves a few bucks it seems?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2022

I'm not going racing or looking for some monster increase in HP.

I'm trying to stay within a budget of $2000.00-ish

Any and all ideas/suggestions welcome.....hopefully this doesn't spark a holley-quadrajet fight. Lol!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Bagmup
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
1971 SB Auto. 75k miles all original. Ive been doing some reading and searches on engine mods and here is what i've come up with so far.

Keep my Quadrajet and have the Lars treatment done to it. His price is very reasonable. I was surprised he was opposed to Pertronix or any elec ignition and only uses points for his distributor rebuilds.

Edelbrock Performer 2101 Spread bore Intake.

Heads?

Cam?

Perhaps one of the Edelbrock top end kits? Saves a few bucks it seems?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2022

I'm not going racing or looking for some monster increase in HP.

I'm trying to stay within a budget of $2000.00-ish

Any and all ideas/suggestions welcome.....hopefully this doesn't spark a holley-quadrajet fight. Lol!
Yep, Edlebrock top end kit is a good place to to start. I worked with a guy like Lars, many years ago when i was an apprentice mechanic. "Points and carby mate, this fuel injection and electronic ignition is garbage"

I guess Lars likes points because it's a simple on/off switch that can be repaired on the side of the road with a screwdriver. I'm all for EFi/elect ign.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Points are reliable however Pertronix seems to be very popular on the forum and works well.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Switched to a Pertronix kit years ago right after my brand new AC Delco point set failed. The contact that was welded to the movable arm fell off at high RPM, just as I was blowing past my buddy's Honda on a nearby highway. The engine was instantly silent, and I coasted to a stop on the side of the road, with my buddy and his Honda right behind me.
Very embarrassing.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Ouch! Lol! I see a lot of reads but no suggestions on head and cam combos. I'll give Edelbrock a call and see what they say.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
Ouch! Lol! I see a lot of reads but no suggestions on head and cam combos. I'll give Edelbrock a call and see what they say.
Try asking 'which oil should I use with my new engine mods' if you really want to not get an answer. Many of us old farts are not opposed to petronix or similar, we found out decades ago that they're not an 'upgrade'.

The kit in your link won't work with a spreadbore carb to start with

Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Try asking 'which oil should I use with my new engine mods' if you really want to not get an answer. Many of us old farts are not opposed to petronix or similar, we found out decades ago that they're not an 'upgrade'.

The kit in your link won't work with a spreadbore carb to start with

I'm open to suggestions for a head and cam combo with my quadrajet???? As for oil Mobile 1 has always worked for me......dunno if it's the best for my 42 year old engine.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

If you're trying to save money, and you don't care about getting every last horsepower available, here is a head and cam combo that will save you some serious scratch:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flo-Te...lug,25118.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...tModelId=22765

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet

You can find Performer 2101 intakes on ebay and craigslist for, like, 50 bucks. Bada-bing! You've just spent about a thousand bucks.

The head gaskets in the link are very thin, .015", but they still have a rep for sealing well. They will up your compression about a half a point. The heads are aluminum, with 64cc chambers, which should give you around another .8 of static compression ratio. The camshaft's power range is 1600-5200, which is right about where you want to be with a street engine, (depends on your transmission and differential gear, if you could let us have that info, that would be great) and the rockers are there because the Speedway heads use large diameter valvesprings, and I don't think the stock rockers will clear them. 45 bucks is pretty cheap money to make sure. You should think about a new timing chain and gears, as long as a new cam is going in. Maybe a new stock oil pump, too. Good luck!

BTW, the obstacle you will face in upgrading the distributor will be the tach drive. You will probably be better of, financially, leaving it the way it is.

Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 06-09-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Petronix is flimsy junk, and not really HEI. Stick with your points dist. or switch out to a real HEI made by a reputable company, like MSD, Performance distributors, etc.
Carter

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Engine Mods advice?

Quick Reply: 1971 Engine Mods advice?