C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tripower ss fuel line leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Tyrel B
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tripower ss fuel line leak

I just installed a Stainless Steel fuel line set on my car and I cant even run it long enough to see how many are leaking due to how bad it is. Im not sure what to do. I spent the money on these and would like to use them, but am at a loss of where to go from here. I have them as tight as i feel comfortable doing with the fittings. I really wana start the car for the first time and this is definitely holding me back. Thanks for the help
Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

any chance you installed ;o-ring; fittings? if not tighten them while they have pressure on them till they stop leaking
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,184 Likes on 748 Posts

did you use new brass t-blocks?,try loosing and tightening the fittings 3 times,sometimes they need to seat in the fittings,,and be careful at the carbs -not to strip the brass carb bowl adapters
Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

I tried a SS fuel line, pump to carb. I couldn't stop the leaking. Best I could do was reduce the leak to seeping. This was after repeated loosening and tightening. I think the problem was the fuel line didn't line up square with the fitting on the carburetor. SS lines are quite stiff comapred to sotck lines, they probably won't conform as easily if the line isn't perfectly straight coming into the fitting.

I'm not familiar with the details of a tri-power. Would it be possible to buy fresh fittings for the carbs, seats wouldn't have any impressions left by a prior installation? Verify the alignment of the lines are correct, try again?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Tyrel B
Advanced

Thanks for the replys, they are new brass blocks and new in the fittings in the carbs aswell. I've had them on and off twice, maybe I need to loosen and re tighten them a few more times? They didn't seem to change at all tho between the two tightenings. I wish they were just seeping, I might as well not even have the lines connected. I saw these flare saver things on here in some other post but don't know if anyone has used them. They were made from aluminum and looked like they would work I think. The only thing was one of them said they were for 37 degree flares. Not sure what these are on yhe car but they might be 45 not 37. Maybe there's other ones out there also? Or maybe the 37 would still work and the aluminum would just conform to the fitting?
Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
I tried a SS fuel line, pump to carb. I couldn't stop the leaking. Best I could do was reduce the leak to seeping. This was after repeated loosening and tightening. I think the problem was the fuel line didn't line up square with the fitting on the carburetor. SS lines are quite stiff comapred to sotck lines, they probably won't conform as easily if the line isn't perfectly straight coming into the fitting.

I'm not familiar with the details of a tri-power. Would it be possible to buy fresh fittings for the carbs, seats wouldn't have any impressions left by a prior installation? Verify the alignment of the lines are correct, try again?
good quality ss lines are real plyable,they should seat in the fittings,new carb fittings are avalible from ''holley'' in bowling green ky
Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Bagmup
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
good quality ss lines are real plyable,they should seat in the fittings,new carb fittings are avalible from ''holley'' in bowling green ky
Good quality stainless steel isn't plyable at all.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

I purchased steel ones from Classic Tube (made in U.S.A.) and they fit perfect,tighten a little at a time,making sure they're seated and they shouldn't leak.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bagmup
Good quality stainless steel isn't plyable at all.
well then i guess the ones i bought from ''the right stuff'' are junk and i'll just throw them out,what brand should i buy ,since you must sell better ones?

only the cheap ones arnt plyable,ss is double annealed and bends just like steel lines,,you could also try ''Copper Flare Gaskets'' for hvac lines
Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fine Lines in Wadsworth, Ohio make great lines.

http://www.finelinesinc.com/

Last edited by GDaina; 06-10-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no need to use SS lines on the tri power...Bundy steel won't rot like brake lines..I still have my original lines..
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
you could also try ''Copper Flare Gaskets'' for hvac lines
Thanks! I have heard of these gaskets but didn't know what they were called, couldn't find a supplier. I'll keep them in mind should I run into a stubborn sealing issue.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Tyrel B
Advanced

I can't seem to make these seal and the company is willing to send me a new set of ss or steel, so I just went with steel and hope they work better. Thanks for all the help. I guess I have set of ss lines that just need some flare savers if I ever decide to change
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyrel B
I can't seem to make these seal and the company is willing to send me a new set of ss or steel, so I just went with steel and hope they work better. Thanks for all the help. I guess I have set of ss lines that just need some flare savers if I ever decide to change
Your better off with the steel ones. The stainless ones sold for 3x2 set ups, are notorious for leaking. The Forum has had other posts, about the SS 3x2 lines leaking.

You should have much better luck getting steel ones installed. You still may have to fiddle with them a little, to keep them from leaking, but you'll have a much better chance of stopping the steel ones from leaking.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Perfmach1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take the lines off the car. Make sure there is no gas in them and heat the flared ends with a torch. This will get some of the temper out of the stainless steel and make them a little more flexible. I've done it with stainless brake lines too.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

leaks is the nature of stainless lines...want results, put the old ones back on and enjoy your Vette

Get notified of new replies

To tripower ss fuel line leak

Quick Reply: tripower ss fuel line leak