C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Stopped Running While Driving Down The Road.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 72 Stopped Running While Driving Down The Road.

Thought I would ask all of the experts before I check it out. I'm 30 years out of practice so bear with me.

Last night when I went to start the car I could tell the battery was low. I tried to turn it over but I didn't have enough battery power to start the engine. Called for a jump and it fired right up a that point. I let it run for a few and all seemed well less the fact of possible battery or alternator problem.

I got about 5 miles down the road and could feel that it was starting to miss and run rough. As I contiued to go down the road the miss grew worse and started to backfire. This got worse and at that time I decided that it was time to pull over and check it out. While pulling over to the R/H side of the road I shifted to neutral and at that point I lost all power and the engine shut down. I could see that there was very little if any light coming from my headlights and interior.

So, before I go out and troubleshoot, anyone have a clue as to what might be the issue and what I should look for? Yes I do have the tools to check out the electrical system but haven't done anything like this in over 30 years.

Thanks all...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by glrc6
Thought I would ask all of the experts before I check it out. I'm 30 years out of practice so bear with me.

Last night when I went to start the car I could tell the battery was low. I tried to turn it over but I didn't have enough battery power to start the engine. Called for a jump and it fired right up a that point. I let it run for a few and all seemed well less the fact of possible battery or alternator problem.

I got about 5 miles down the road and could feel that it was starting to miss and run rough. As I contiued to go down the road the miss grew worse and started to backfire. This got worse and at that time I decided that it was time to pull over and check it out. While pulling over to the R/H side of the road I shifted to neutral and at that point I lost all power and the engine shut down. I could see that there was very little if any light coming from my headlights and interior.

So, before I go out and troubleshoot, anyone have a clue as to what might be the issue and what I should look for? Yes I do have the tools to check out the electrical system but haven't done anything like this in over 30 years.

Thanks all...
No expert, but IMO.....
You can use your volt meter to see what your battery is putting out with the engine off. If I remember correctly, should not be lower than 12 volts, with a good battery. With the engine running, and a good battery & alternator, you should have a reading above 13 volts, but should not be higher than 14 volts constantly, as you don't want the system to be overcharging. Last time I checked mine it was between 13.5 & 13.9 volts......
Had this happen to the 82 when purchased last year. Lights went completely out, wipers stopped working, and the engine just plain shut down on the highway, @ 60 mph or better
Turned out that a combination of my wiper module and a faulty alternator completely drained the battery.
I would suspect that either your alternator is bad and or you have some type of short that is draining the battery, or your battery is so low, that it will no longer hold a charge.. Get the alternator checked out, and depending on the age of the battery, I would just change it out and get a new fresh battery. You may get different opinions on this, concerning the battery, but to me it is piece of mind, and especially since the 82 is my "dd". Don't have time to mess with broaderline or faulty electrical parts.......
BTW, when they checked out my alternator, they said it was ok. So I went with it, but then the lights started dimming at times, so I just changed it out and doing fine.....

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 06-08-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:34 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start with the alt, maybe a new battery, and go from there.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:02 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

It's the alternator, zero output with charge.

That's an easy fix but nothing in stock around here at the moment. Which vendor has the best source of parts for C3's here on the forum?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

t nothing in stock around here at the moment.
Yer kidding?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 PM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 186 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I've been using Corvette Central lately and have been very impressed with their service.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

First question will it crank or is it completely dead?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

A standard, rebuilt replacement alternator is all you need. Any part store should have it.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

It's the alternator, zero output with charge.

That's an easy fix but nothing in stock around here at the moment. Which vendor has the best source of parts for C3's here on the forum?
Usually Advance Auto or Auto Zone or Pep Boys, or....can have it either the same day or in 24 hours for a rebuilt unit if not in stock.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Stopped Running While Driving Down The Road.

Quick Reply: 72 Stopped Running While Driving Down The Road.