C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 04:17 PM
tdellaringa
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions

Hi Folks,

Been awhile since I was here, I had sold my 77 vette (it might still be in my profile..hmm) so wasn't much point in being here! Anyway, through the grace of God we've somewhat righted the ship, and it looks like I may be able to get into another Corvette in about 4 months, so I'm starting my Due Diligence now!

A couple things have changed and I would really value the opinons of those here, so here is what the deal is:

1 - I prefer a C3 over a C4 on general principles, it was the one I wanted as a kid, had one now already and loved it and so forth.

2 - I live in Las Vegas now - that means AC is a MUST, and it means that Emissions need to be passed, I believe they are very sticky about that here as in CA. That puts a damper on a chunk of C3s out there, I realize. (just a chunk tho)

3 - I know ZERO about C4s. Looking through on eBay (basically just to get an idea on prices, realize they can be inflated, and to see whats out there - doubt I would ever buy one there) it seems as though I can get a C4 for cheaper than a well preserved C3 (within reason.) But I don't know what to look for on a C4, the trouble spots like I kind of do on a C3.

4 - I'll be looking to spend roughly 7-9k, which is on the low side I realize. I've never been one to care about matching numbers though, and I don't mind modifications done right.

5 - The cars I like best are:

a - Another 77 - I really liked it and it was the highest prod. run, so there's lots out there.

b - An 82(?) Collectors Ed - the Silver one with the black/grey graphics horizontally down the side of the door.

c - Any 80 - 82

d - Any earlier C3, although price becomes an issue fast.

e - Lastly, a C4

I also wonder about the earliest C4s, the 84-85 - I've heard bad things about these, plus I kind of don't like the way they look. If you know about C4's any info is appreciated. I will probably head over to the C4 list to get a "what to look for" out of them of course as well.

Thanks a ton for the info, looking forward to hopefully once again climbing into the greatest car that was ever made!

Tom :)
Old 06-24-2002, 08:03 PM
tdellaringa
Pro

Default Re: Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions (tdellaringa)

I must give this a "bump"...
Old 06-25-2002, 12:58 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions (tdellaringa)

I have a pretty nice '79 L48 4-speed I'll sell you for $6500. The AC works and it still has all of the stock emission equipment. Take a look in the C3 for sale section for some pics. :seeya
Old 06-25-2002, 02:49 AM
Stevo81
Pro

The search for a Corvette (or anything) is a search for your true self, grasshopper. Seek truth and truth will seek you. Seek bull and it will find you. huh?
My next will be no smog. I promise. It opens up so many options and closes many hassles...my 2 cents worth... :seeya
Old 06-25-2002, 02:49 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions

Just make sure you get what you want, from what I hear the early C4's are an electrical nightmare, and the first (84) had the crossfire engine. If you decide that you want a C4, then get the 85 at least.

BUT! you know that in your heart you want another C3, so look hard...
Old 06-25-2002, 07:21 PM
tdellaringa
Pro

Default Re: Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions (Desertdawg)

You are right, I DO want a C3. I am heartened by Dennis' offer - that is exactly what I want at exactly the price (In fact I paid 6500 for my 77). I've been looking at C4's and frankly, they just don't HAVE IT, if you know what I mean.

They are nice, they are vettes, but they are NOT C3s. Call me nuts, but I still like the C3s over the new ones. It must be part nostalgia of when I was a kid. I look at the page with the James Garner vettes, and I just drool.

So you guys think at my price range of 6-8,9k I can get a good C3 still? I haven't seen many out here in Vegas at all. I told Dennis already, if I was ready to buy I would jump all over his, its real nice.

Tom
Old 06-25-2002, 07:54 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Make the seller get it smogged as a condition of sale. California does this anyway... but it can be a costly nightmare to try to round up all of that smog gear just to get the car registered in your name.
Don't take it lightly... some of this smog stuff is getting hard to find and the Dept. of Motor Vehicles doesn't want to hear your sob story. :eek:
Old 06-25-2002, 08:23 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions (KENS78SILVERANNIV)

Dont' get a C4 from 84-88. I believe that they switched to a 5 link rear suspension setup in 89 that was superior to the older setup.

My .02 :cheers:
Old 06-25-2002, 08:33 PM
tdellaringa
Pro

Default Re: Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions (KENS78SILVERANNIV)

Thats good advice, Ken...where can I find out what the laws are here - is there a web site? Someone said something about the car being old and not having to pass...

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions

Quick Reply: Starting to shop for a another vette, need suggestions